Players to watch: 2016/17 college season.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Someone give me some under the radar prospects that aren't necessarily from these big programs. I'd like to watch more than just the big schools play, there are those diamonds out there somewhere.
It's a bit early to pick out the hidden gems yet. But there are some players of lesser known press clippings. Jordan Mathews from Gonzaga, a 6'4" sg might be one. A kid I like is Bryant McIntosh, a 6'3" PG from Northwestern. There's Que Johnson a 6'6" sg from Western Kentucky. Another PG that I like is Monte Morris, a 6'3" PG from Iowa St. A fun guy to watch, although from a more major school, Baylor, is Emmanuel Lecomte, a 5'11" PG, who will remind you of I. Thomas a bit. He's a light out shooter, and very quick. Although he's from miore of a major school than your talking about, I really like Jonathan Isaac, a 6'11" SF from North Carolina St.

Once the schools get into conference play, I'll be able to pick out some rising stars. Just a bit early right now. There are some I like, but I'd rather wait a bit..

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It's a bit early to pick out the hidden gems yet. But there are some players of lesser known press clippings. Jordan Mathews from Gonzaga, a 6'4" sg might be one. A kid I like is Bryant McIntosh, a 6'3" PG from Northwestern. There's Que Johnson a 6'6" sg from Western Kentucky. Another PG that I like is Monte Morris, a 6'3" PG from Iowa St. A fun guy to watch, although from a more major school, Baylor, is Emmanuel Lecomte, a 5'11" PG, who will remind you of I. Thomas a bit. He's a light out shooter, and very quick. Although he's from miore of a major school than your talking about, I really like Jonathan Isaac, a 6'11" SF from North Carolina St.

Once the schools get into conference play, I'll be able to pick out some rising stars. Just a bit early right now. There are some I like, but I'd rather wait a bit..
I thought Kay Felder held the title of "next IT"?

What are your thoughts on Jawun Evans?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What are your thoughts on Jawun Evans?

Arrrgh, thanks for reminding me. You know he really shot the ball well last year, and this year so far he's tearing it up. He's certainly is someone to keep an eye on. I'm waiting for a big matchup. I know Kentucky has a game coming up with Oklahoma, but I'm not sure about Oklahoma St.s schedule. If he continue's to play like he's been playing so far, he'll definitely shoot up the draft boards. This is a great draft for PG's.

Someone give me some under the radar prospects that aren't necessarily from these big programs. I'd like to watch more than just the big schools play, there are those diamonds out there somewhere.
You most likely looking for seniors/older juniors in this scenario, I mean, even bad freshmen like Vaughn still end up in the first round, so: Josh Hart from Villanova (tough and smart 6'5" SG with shooting touch and good rebounding), who continued right where he finished last season; Michael Young from Pitt (Thad Yound/TJ Warren type: a bit soft on D and boards, but a very good scorer, who can get points from anywhere and gets to the line a lot, he's .455 from 3(low volume) and .854 from the line, so maybe his shooting is very improved); Gary Clark from Cincinnati (undersized at 6'7", but tough PF defender/rebounder with some range out to 15 feet), and as an outside bet, as I think, he returns for his senior year, Khadeem Lattin from Oklahoma (might be the best overall defender in college basketball). Maybe at the end of the year some Fr/So guys will make a mistake of jumping too early/with not high enough stock, but most underclassmen end up pretty high.

Almost everyone has him in top-10, so i wouldn't call him a "sleeper".

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You most likely looking for seniors/older juniors in this scenario, I mean, even bad freshmen like Vaughn still end up in the first round, so: Josh Hart from Villanova (tough and smart 6'5" SG with shooting touch and good rebounding), who continued right where he finished last season; Michael Young from Pitt (Thad Yound/TJ Warren type: a bit soft on D and boards, but a very good scorer, who can get points from anywhere and gets to the line a lot, he's .455 from 3(low volume) and .854 from the line, so maybe his shooting is very improved); Gary Clark from Cincinnati (undersized at 6'7", but tough PF defender/rebounder with some range out to 15 feet), and as an outside bet, as I think, he returns for his senior year, Khadeem Lattin from Oklahoma (might be the best overall defender in college basketball). Maybe at the end of the year some Fr/So guys will make a mistake of jumping too early/with not high enough stock, but most underclassmen end up pretty high.

Almost everyone has him in top-10, so i wouldn't call him a "sleeper".
I agree with you, but to someone that doesn't watch much college basketball, he might not leap out at you. Besides, I really like him, so I'm doing a little unashamed promoting.:rolleyes: I haven't looked at any of the draft boards yet, so I'm not up on whose getting the press and who isn't. For instance, I have no idea where Monk is listed, but I have him pretty high on my personal list. His 3 pt shot was a little off yesterday, but he still managed to shoot over 50% from the floor and add in 6 or 7 assists. He can defend as well. Only knock on him might be his height, but he plays taller than his listed height.

I like Josh Hart, but his performance is always just a tad below what I think he's capable of. Don't know how you feel about him, and maybe I'm not being fair to him. There's just something missing. Maybe my brain...I'd like a breakout year from him, otherwise he's going to go in the second round again. Another player I would add to the good defender list is Jordan Bell from Oregon a junior 6'9" PF who has great shotblocking instincts.

We need to cheer for loses by Brooklyn, Miami, and Dallas. Those 3 teams will trade there pick plus a player for Boogie if that is our move this summer.

Smith Jr and Faultz will be superstars in the league and Smith is getting it going recently. This dude gets to the line and rim at will

And Johnathon Issac should not be slept on 6'10 sane build as Ingram but he looks more impressive than Ingram. I think he's a better scorer where Ingram is a slight better passer and defender. But Issac will be a 20ppg player in no time and he's so unselfish.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
what are your thoughts on Robert Williams out of Texas A&M? I've been reading articles that has him shooting up on the draft boards and his super athletic ability...nearly a 44 inch vertical :O

Williams is a very good weak-side player on both ends of the floor: excellent shot-blocker and rebounder, who moves his feet very well; can score on cuts, put-backs and tip-ins, but you definitely do not want to give him the ball in the post; has almost 3 assissts per 40 minutes though, which for an off the ball big is great, so he can certainly move the ball. Pretty bulky already, and in 2-3 years will probably big enough to play center, given his length. Haven't seen him shoot ouside of 5 feet, except at FT line, where he's 11/12 so far.
44 inches jumping is ridiculous and was most likely a result of lowering length measurement.
After watching him for 20 minutes in 1 game, I would definitely swap WCS for him right now, but so would probably do anyone by the end of the year.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I watched the UCLA vs Texas A&M matchup last night and there was a play where William recovered weakside to block the shot coming from the free throw line, it was very impressive to see. I haven't seen him take any jumpshots but based on his free throw form, I can see something evolving there. All the bigs these days are encouraged to shoot from deep anyway, I don't see why he wouldn't learn to in a few years. Whether he decides to declare this season or next or after, someone will get a nice player for themselves.

Regarding Ball; man his shot is tough to watch but it drops. I can't confidently say though that he will successfully get that shot off in the pros, I know Kevin Martin & Shawn Marion carved out nice career for themselves and they had unorthodox shots so it remains to be seen.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We need to cheer for loses by Brooklyn, Miami, and Dallas. Those 3 teams will trade there pick plus a player for Boogie if that is our move this summer.

Smith Jr and Faultz will be superstars in the league and Smith is getting it going recently. This dude gets to the line and rim at will

And Johnathon Issac should not be slept on 6'10 sane build as Ingram but he looks more impressive than Ingram. I think he's a better scorer where Ingram is a slight better passer and defender. But Issac will be a 20ppg player in no time and he's so unselfish.

Pretty sure both the Nets and Heat don't have the rights to their first round picks due to ill-advised trades from like half a decade ago (Pierce/KG for the Nets and Dragic for the Heat).

Dallas really wants Boogie but they also seem to strike out in the star player sweepstakes every single time so who knows.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I watched the UCLA vs Texas A&M matchup last night and there was a play where William recovered weakside to block the shot coming from the free throw line, it was very impressive to see. I haven't seen him take any jumpshots but based on his free throw form, I can see something evolving there. All the bigs these days are encouraged to shoot from deep anyway, I don't see why he wouldn't learn to in a few years. Whether he decides to declare this season or next or after, someone will get a nice player for themselves.

Regarding Ball; man his shot is tough to watch but it drops. I can't confidently say though that he will successfully get that shot off in the pros, I know Kevin Martin & Shawn Marion carved out nice career for themselves and they had unorthodox shots so it remains to be seen.
I don't have much to add on Williams. Gilles pretty much covered everything. Has no game away from the basket, at least that he's shown. He is a good free throw shooter, so that bodes well. Very good athlete, but way too early to pass judgement a this point, although he has played against pretty good competition through the first five games. Lets see where he's at after 15 or so games.

I agree on Ball's shot, but you can't argue with success. It all comes down to point of release. If everything is correct at that point, it doesn't matter how yo got there, except for the amount of time it takes. So the question will be, will he be able to create space in the NBA. Guys like Martin figured out a way.

I've watched Kentucky play four times already this season, the Cleveland St. game being the latest. One player in particular, and believe me, Kentucky has several players that will be first round picks, Malik Monk has stood out. He's given Kentucky something they haven't had in a while, Booker being the last, and he was a little inconsistent at Kentucky, and that's a deadly three pt shooter. So far, Monk has been killing it. The beauty of it, is that Monk has a lot more to his game than sharpshooting. He's a terrific athlete and handles the ball extremely well.

He may be a bit undersized at 6'3" for the SG position, but you don't notice it when he's on the court. He posted a 37 " vertical at Kentucky's pro day. I don't know his wingspan, but it looks generous. Of course there's a long way to go, and who knows, the luster may wear off a little down the road. But for now, Monk and Fox are Kentucky's best players, and they make for a deadly duo in the backcourt. Here are a couple of Video's of Monk. I needed two to show off all of his skills.

Great videos, what an exciting player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A couple of things I forgot to add on Williams. He has a nose for the ball, something that Willie currently seems to lack, and he's not afraid of contact. I'm not sure I would pass judgement on his post game yet. I've only seen him play twice, and to be honest, I watched the UCLA/Texas A&M to see Ball play, not Williams. However, he was hard to ignore.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
A couple of things I forgot to add on Williams. He has a nose for the ball, something that Willie currently seems to lack, and he's not afraid of contact. I'm not sure I would pass judgement on his post game yet. I've only seen him play twice, and to be honest, I watched the UCLA/Texas A&M to see Ball play, not Williams. However, he was hard to ignore.
You can't teach a player to be feisty and a go getter, Kings need more of these type of players. Way too many soft players that have come through these parts just trying to coast and "get by" IMO.

Pretty sure both the Nets and Heat don't have the rights to their first round picks due to ill-advised trades from like half a decade ago (Pierce/KG for the Nets and Dragic for the Heat).

Dallas really wants Boogie but they also seem to strike out in the star player sweepstakes every single time so who knows.
I'm positive the Heat have there first or it's protected and Bets pick goes to Boston who would trade it for Cousins either way. Between Boston, Miami, and Dallas if we trade Boogie this year we are getting a top 5 pick in a deep draft

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm positive the Heat have there first or it's protected and Bets pick goes to Boston who would trade it for Cousins either way. Between Boston, Miami, and Dallas if we trade Boogie this year we are getting a top 5 pick in a deep draft
The Heat traded their 2018 first round pick to the Suns, therefore they have their 2017 first round pick. You can't trade two first round picks in consecutive years.

The Heat traded their 2018 first round pick to the Suns, therefore they have their 2017 first round pick. You can't trade two first round picks in consecutive years.
Could they draft the player, then trade them to us?

Before the season, this felt like a really deep draft, but it's been a slow college start. I think the Kings need a top 5 pick to get a guaranteed solid player. In no particular order, I think these would be the top 5 players, Markelle Fultz, Josh Jackson, Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball, and Jonathan Isaac. Extending to the top 10, there's also: Smith, Markkanen, Hartenstein, Monk, and Fox.

All of these players, included those that I didn't name are really talented, but I'd much rather pick from the guys in the top 5 than 6-10.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like Lonzo Ball. Everyone will pick on his shot, but he's got so much game that his awkward shot doesn't matter. With a more wide open NBA game he's going to be a star. Exceedingly superior vision, excellent BBIQ, excellent quickness, good defensive instincts, unselfish, leadership qualities, not afraid to take and make a 3 point shot in the last couple minutes even though he just had an air ball. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he becomes a very good 3 point shooter in the NBA after a few years. You really don't have to ponder about him to figure it out - he has a 10 out of 10 ceiling. I'd say his floor would be a 7.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like Lonzo Ball. Everyone will pick on his shot, but he's got so much game that his awkward shot doesn't matter. With a more wide open NBA game he's going to be a star. Exceedingly superior vision, excellent BBIQ, excellent quickness, good defensive instincts, unselfish, leadership qualities, not afraid to take and make a 3 point shot in the last couple minutes even though he just had an air ball. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he becomes a very good 3 point shooter in the NBA after a few years. You really don't have to ponder about him to figure it out - he has a 10 out of 10 ceiling. I'd say his floor would be a 7.
At the moment I have Ball as my number one PG in this coming draft. However, this is a draft very deep in PG's, and I could settle for a couple of others as well. Fultz is going to be a good one and Fox is fun to watch. He's probably the most explosive of the bunch. the dude can go end to end in the blink of an eye, and he's always in control. When you put him next to Monk, they might be the best backcourt in college.

Speaking of that backcourt, I watched Kentucky kick the snot out of Arizona St. tonight 115 to 60 I believe. After the Kings game I needed a picker upper, and Kentucky gave it to me. Kentucky may be the fasted team in college, and may be the best defensive team in college as well. A lot of fun to watch. Their average time per possession is 14 seconds. Who needs a shot clock?

At the moment I have Ball as my number one PG in this coming draft. However, this is a draft very deep in PG's, and I could settle for a couple of others as well. Fultz is going to be a good one and Fox is fun to watch. He's probably the most explosive of the bunch. the dude can go end to end in the blink of an eye, and he's always in control. When you put him next to Monk, they might be the best backcourt in college.

Speaking of that backcourt, I watched Kentucky kick the snot out of Arizona St. tonight 115 to 60 I believe. After the Kings game I needed a picker upper, and Kentucky gave it to me. Kentucky may be the fasted team in college, and may be the best defensive team in college as well. A lot of fun to watch. Their average time per possession is 14 seconds. Who needs a shot clock?
I love Ball I really do but to pick him over Smith/Faultz would be an enormous mistake.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Oh, no! Not pace! We don't want pace!:p

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Kentucky playing D'antoni style basketball, never thought I'd see college teams play this up and tempo game, it's going to inflate a lot of the players numbers in the process; which is great for them and their draft positioning.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kentucky playing D'antoni style basketball, never thought I'd see college teams play this up and tempo game, it's going to inflate a lot of the players numbers in the process; which is great for them and their draft positioning.
While I'm not a fan of playing that fast as a general rule, I'm amazed how Kentucky's able to do it and still look in control. Fox is one of the quickest PG's I've ever seen. He's been compared to John Wall, and that's a pretty good comparison, at least where quickness is involved. I think he has better overall court vision than Wall did at the same point in time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I love Ball I really do but to pick him over Smith/Faultz would be an enormous mistake.
As I said, I have him at number one on my list right now. That can change. To be honest, I'd be happy with any of these guys right now. Fultz looks like the most skilled offensive player of the bunch, but I'm not sure he's the best PG of the bunch. Probably depends on what your looking for in a PG. I think there's something there for everyone in this draft.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Monk shoots the ball sooooooooooo much, lol!
That's true, but he's Kentucky's main offensive weapon. His three point shot was off a little against Arizona St. but his overall shooting was very good. What I like about Monk's offense, is that he's not a one trick pony. He can score in a variety of ways. He has just about every weapon available in his arsenal. Plus, he's a good and willing defender as well. And, he's a very good athlete. Not the athlete that Fox is, but close.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
While I'm not a fan of playing that fast as a general rule, I'm amazed how Kentucky's able to do it and still look in control. Fox is one of the quickest PG's I've ever seen. He's been compared to John Wall, and that's a pretty good comparison, at least where quickness is involved. I think he has better overall court vision than Wall did at the same point in time.
That is saying something considering Wall is always in the top 5 in assists. I have watched one Kentucky game and in that game I had to applaud Fox's quickness from end to end, it was John Wall like. Question; does Fox have John's athletic ability?

Any concerns about Monk's size as a wing? Kentucky only has him at 6'3 in shoes with a 6'3.5 wingspan. He has good weight at almost 200lbs, but still looks a bit more lanky. I think he'll need to bulk up to around 230lbs like Smart did at the combine to compensate for his size.

I know we're seeing more 2 PG lineups and small ball, but I worry about his ability to contest shots with that wingspan. NBA players are constantly improving their shooting, so I could see them having a big shooting advantage over him. Looking at short SGs, Bradley's wingspan is 6'7.25 and Smart's wingspan is 6'9.25.

Bradley was only 180lbs at Texas, but he came out as an elite defender, much like Marcus Smart. So far, Monk hasn't displayed those skills yet. He seems to have the athleticism/quickness to be a above average defender, but he doesn't have the elite skills that both Bradley and Smart had.

That is saying something considering Wall is always in the top 5 in assists. I have watched one Kentucky game and in that game I had to applaud Fox's quickness from end to end, it was John Wall like. Question; does Fox have John's athletic ability?
I think Fox is a great athlete, but not on par with John Wall. It's really hard to match Wall's athleticism in general. My biggest personal knock on Fox is his inability to hit the 3pt shot. He looks more like a Ricky Rubio than a John Wall imo.