Players to watch: 2016/17 college season.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've been busy compiling my lists and notebooks for the coming college season. So I thought I give you a quick list of who to watch, with more in depth info coming on each player later. So I'm listing the player and the college for now. The college season starts around the 11th or 12th of November. It's different for each team depending on which early tournament they decide to play in.

Josh Jackson: 6'8", SF, Freshman, Kansas. Ranked #1
Malik Newman: 6'3", SG/PG, Sophmore, Kansas.
Jayson Tatum: 6'8", SF, Freshman, Duke. Ranked #3
Harry Giles: 6'10", PF/C, Freshman, Duke. Ranked #2
Marques Bolden: 6'11", C, Freshman, Duke. Ranked #16
Grayson Allen: 6'5", SG, Junior, Duke.
Frank Jackson: 6'3", PG, Freshman, Duke. Ranked #10
De'Aaron Fox: 6'3", PG, Freshman, Kentucky. Ranked #5
Bam Adebayo: 6'10", PF, Freshman, Kentucky. Ranked #7
Malik Monk: 6'3", SG, Freshman, Kentucky. Ranked #6
Wenyen Gabriel: 6'9", PF, Freshman, Kentucky. Ranked #17
Isaiah Brisco: 6'3", PG, Sophmore, Kentucky.
Rawle Alkins: 6'5", SG, Freshman, Arizona. Ranked #9
Alonzo Trier: 6'5", SG, Sophmore, Arizona.
Dennis Smith: 6'3", PG, Freshman, North Carolina St. Ranked #4
Ivan Rabb: 6'11", PF, Sophmore, California.
Jarbari Bird: 6'6", SG, Senior, California.
Markelle Fultz: 6'4", PG, Freshman, Washington. Ranked #13
Dillon Brooks: 6'7", SF, Junior, Oregon.
Tyler Dorsey: 6'4", SG, Sophmore, Oregon.
Lonzo Ball: 6'6", PG, Freshman, UCLA. Ranked #8
T.J. Leaf: 6'10", PF, Freshman, UCLA. Ranked #15
Miles Bridges: 6'6", SG/SF, Freshman, Michigan St. Ranked #11
Joshua Langford: 6'6", SF, Freshman, Michigan St. Ranked #14

Obviously there are many others. Too many to list right now. I've mostly tried to introduce you to the top highschool players entering college this year. I'm sure there will be some lower ranked players that will emerge by the end of the season and some of the top players will drop. As you can see, Duke is well armed to make another run at the NCAA title this coming season, as is Kentucky. Difference is, Duke has a solid group of returning players which should give them the edge.

UCLA should be able to make a splash in the Pac 12 this season, but Oregon should be the top dog with Washington, Cal, and Arizona also being contenders for the Pac 12 title. The Pac 12 is finally returning to being a tough conference. Sad how far Stanford had fallen from the good old days of Mike Montgomery. Anyway, more coming in the future. Of course the Kings might not have a draft pick this year, but you never know what will happen.

This is a really exciting class for PGs. Might be the best since 2009? If the Kings somehow end up with the #1 or #2 overall pick, Markelle Fultz or Dennis Smith Jr is the guy to keep an eye on.

Harry Gilles is extremely talented, but he can't catch a break. Torn MCL and torn ACL before even playing his 1st college game. Gets worse for him. He has to have a minor knee surgery and will be out for at least 6 weeks.

Washington has been very mediocre the last 5 years, yet they continue to pull in guys like Fultz. Maybe this is the year where Romar finally puts it together and shocks us, since no one is expecting much from Washington this year.

What is crazy is that as good as Wenyen Gabriel is, he might be the 8th guy.... if that!

Fox
Briscoe
Monk
Willis
Bam

Fox/Briscoe/Monk (One will be on the floor at all times)
Hawkins (his defense has allowed the local boy to play significant minutes every season he has been here)
Gabriel
Killeya-Jones
Humphries (He is honestly the next Jorts but younger so he can continue to develop. Scouting reports in practices say that if it would have been anyone other than Bam starting, that Isaac would be the starting big, he has improved that much. Also, he will get heavy minutes with a big-man lineup of he and Bam. )

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What is crazy is that as good as Wenyen Gabriel is, he might be the 8th guy.... if that!

Fox
Briscoe
Monk
Willis
Bam

Fox/Briscoe/Monk (One will be on the floor at all times)
Hawkins (his defense has allowed the local boy to play significant minutes every season he has been here)
Gabriel
Killeya-Jones
Humphries (He is honestly the next Jorts but younger so he can continue to develop. Scouting reports in practices say that if it would have been anyone other than Bam starting, that Isaac would be the starting big, he has improved that much. Also, he will get heavy minutes with a big-man lineup of he and Bam. )
Yeah, this is a great class. At least right now it is before we've played a game. Some will rise and some will fall, but overall it's a much better class than last seasons. Should be a fun year. There's a lot of depth in the class at the top, so if the Kings play their way out of their pick, then I'm hopeful they can acquire a pick.

Disagree with 206 a bit on Washington. I'm certainly expecting something out of them and most of the talking heads are. But I know where he's coming from. We'll see... The Pac 12 is getting tough again. Finally!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Another player to watch is Lauri Markkanen. Dude does it all. I think he will be a lottery pick by the end of the year.
Dude does it all except defense. He was absolutely putrid as a perimeter defender against the Spartans. Huge offensive skill and great handles/shot for his size though.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Playing for Sean his defense will get better by the end of the season.
I thought the biggest problem for Markkanen on D was a serious lack of ability to move laterally - he knew he was supposed to slide, but he just couldn't and people were just flat going around him. I don't know if Miller can fix that. It looked, to my very untrained eye, to be an athletic deficiency.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well Monk may have answered Kentucky's outside shooting problems last night. Dude was on fire. We'll have to see if he can be a consistent shooter from here on out, but he was impressive last night. He has a very quick release and gets squared up quickly. Very good athlete as well. Briscoe has really improved from his freshman year. He still has a tendency to pass up open perimeter shots, but his midrange jumper has improved, and so has his form. He's a very good defender and seems to get to the basket and finish with ease. This could be a breakout year for him. He's has to hit those three point shots though. He reminds me a bit of Avery Bradley.

Miles Bridges found out what happens when you play up against tough defenders. He really struggled last night, but most of it was self imposed. He decided to carry Mich St. all by himself, and found out he couldn't. Basically, he tried too hard and made one mistake after another. I still think he can be a force down the road though with some self discipline. He has some serious hops. The showed a video of him jumping and touching the top of the backboard. He reminds me, not in physical appearance, but in physical abilities, of Gerald Wallace when he was in college.

So far I like Fox. He needs to improve his shooting, but he's a very good athlete with great size for the PG position. Not quite sure about his handles just yet, but he hasn't gotten into trouble because of them. So far he's shown me very good court vision and passing ability. He has to display more offense though. I felt sorry for Adebayo last night. If he did anything other than resemble a statue, they blew the whistle on him. He's a physical player who wasn't allowed to be physical last night. Too bad!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought the biggest problem for Markkanen on D was a serious lack of ability to move laterally - he knew he was supposed to slide, but he just couldn't and people were just flat going around him. I don't know if Miller can fix that. It looked, to my very untrained eye, to be an athletic deficiency.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you Capt. I'll reserve judgement for a while, but so far I have to question his lateral quickness, and his instincts defensively.

Yeah I agree he didn't look great on D but he was also playing on bridges a lot of the time who is a lot smaller and quicker then him. I'm just amazed at how great his shot is.

I have no clue. Miller and the university always says no comment in the press conferences. That team really needs his scoring. so if he is suspeneded I hope it's not too long.

DX have him at #71 draft prospect right now - good luck to them! :D
By the end of the year sophomore from Okla State Juwan Evans will be in their mock.
He's not big or very long PG (6'0", 180 pounds in shoes with 6'4" wingspan), so it's easy to see, why he would be overlooked.
But he started the season with a loud bang: 31p (.721TS%) + 5r + 8.5a (3.2A/TO) +4st per 40 minutes pace adjusted after 3 games. And it's not hard to see, why he can be a very successful pro:
  • his passes are almost always on point and can be immediately launched
  • very quick shot release
  • very good at getting to the basket, not due to raw power and speed, but rather roaming and probing, but always in control, and very good at changing speed
  • shoots very well around the basket, using floaters, teardrops and off-the-glass shots
  • shoots well off the dribble, both from outside and mid-range
  • 80+% FT shooter, and gets to the line a lot
P.S. Had 42 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists game as a freshman against at the time #2 Oklahoma in 71-72 losing effort.

DX have him at #71 draft prospect right now - good luck to them! :D
By the end of the year sophomore from Okla State Juwan Evans will be in their mock.
He's not big or very long PG (6'0", 180 pounds in shoes with 6'4" wingspan), so it's easy to see, why he would be overlooked.
But he started the season with a loud bang: 31p (.721TS%) + 5r + 8.5a (3.2A/TO) +4st per 40 minutes pace adjusted after 3 games. And it's not hard to see, why he can be a very successful pro:
  • his passes are almost always on point and can be immediately launched
  • very quick shot release
  • very good at getting to the basket, not due to raw power and speed, but rather roaming and probing, but always in control, and very good at changing speed
  • shoots very well around the basket, using floaters, teardrops and off-the-glass shots
  • shoots well off the dribble, both from outside and mid-range
  • 80+% FT shooter, and gets to the line a lot
P.S. Had 42 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists game as a freshman against at the time #2 Oklahoma in 71-72 losing effort.
For me, his biggest weakness always came down to his 3pt shot and athleticism. Not that he's a poor athlete, but he doesn't have the athleticism to make up for his lack of size. I really like his PG skills.

I think his draft stock will ultimately come down to his 3pt shooting.

For me, his biggest weakness always came down to his 3pt shot and athleticism. Not that he's a poor athlete, but he doesn't have the athleticism to make up for his lack of size. I really like his PG skills.
I think his draft stock will ultimately come down to his 3pt shooting.
Using floaters and glass means he can get his shot off even among the trees. And Jawun had excellent FT rate even as a freshman, so he can take punishment.
He's 22/44 in career 3pt shooting and .825+ in FT% - I don't think outside shooting is that big of a concern.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Was able to watch Malik Pope with SD State and Ivan Rabb with Cal at Golden One. Jabari Bird didnt play. Pope has a little Rudy Gay in him. Very interesting prospect and a local kid. Rabb was solid.

By the way, I really enjoyed watching SD State play. Very athletic and long team.

Not the biggest Josh Jackson fan. He has somehow got Wiggins comparisons, but probably is more closer to someone like Justise Winslow.

Jackson shoots with an ugly hitch. On offense, he's more of an inside scorer and attacker. Great passer, but I just don't see the "superstar" hype from highschool. Long season ahead for him. Still looks like a top 10 player, but that's that.

Not the biggest Josh Jackson fan. He has somehow got Wiggins comparisons, but probably is more closer to someone like Justise Winslow.

Jackson shoots with an ugly hitch. On offense, he's more of an inside scorer and attacker. Great passer, but I just don't see the "superstar" hype from highschool. Long season ahead for him. Still looks like a top 10 player, but that's that.
He's gonna be a great defender who plays with passion. He also has good vision and his shot isn't broken he'll be way better than Winslow. I think a number 2 option on a championship team.

But I'd take Lanzo Ball over him. If Ball shots over 35% from 3 he's going top 3 with Smith/Faultz. This guy can hoop elite passer and size with good defense. If we do end up trading Boogie and in sure a top 5 pick plus young talent is coming our way what a draft to do that.

He's gonna be a great defender who plays with passion. He also has good vision and his shot isn't broken he'll be way better than Winslow. I think a number 2 option on a championship team.
But I'd take Lanzo Ball over him. If Ball shots over 35% from 3 he's going top 3 with Smith/Faultz. This guy can hoop elite passer and size with good defense. If we do end up trading Boogie and in sure a top 5 pick plus young talent is coming our way what a draft to do that.
I think Jackson is more talented than Winslow, but I definitely wouldn't rule out Winslow yet. Winslow is only about a year older than Jackson.

I don't think the Kings will be able to get Fultz. As of right now, he's putting his name alongside the likes of D'angelo Russell and Kyrie Irving. Elite PG prospect is where I'm hinting towards. He's miles ahead of other guys like Kris Dunn, Emmanuel Mudiay, Elfrid Payton, Trey Burke, etc.

The Kings could realistically end up with someone like Lonzo Ball though. He looks like the #2 PG right now. Amazing playmaker with good upside on defense. His biggest problem is scoring...or more specially, his jump shot. Despite his high 3pt%, I'm not sold on his jumpshot. It looks absolutely broken.... everything about it, is ugly. Ball is probably 6'5, so he does have the height advantage, but I just don't know that he'll be able to get that type of shot off, and effectively in the NBA. His jumpshot is easily contestable.

I don't want to call this draft Elite yet..because I must say, there are a few disappointments starting off the season.

I think the Kings would need a top 3 or 4 pick. I just can't see us grabbing one of Fultz, Tatum, or Ball with a pick outside the top 5.

I think Jackson is more talented than Winslow, but I definitely wouldn't rule out Winslow yet. Winslow is only about a year older than Jackson.

I don't think the Kings will be able to get Fultz. As of right now, he's putting his name alongside the likes of D'angelo Russell and Kyrie Irving. Elite PG prospect is where I'm hinting towards. He's miles ahead of other guys like Kris Dunn, Emmanuel Mudiay, Elfrid Payton, Trey Burke, etc.

The Kings could realistically end up with someone like Lonzo Ball though. He looks like the #2 PG right now. Amazing playmaker with good upside on defense. His biggest problem is scoring...or more specially, his jump shot. Despite his high 3pt%, I'm not sold on his jumpshot. It looks absolutely broken.... everything about it, is ugly. Ball is probably 6'5, so he does have the height advantage, but I just don't know that he'll be able to get that type of shot off, and effectively in the NBA. His jumpshot is easily contestable.

I don't want to call this draft Elite yet..because I must say, there are a few disappointments starting off the season.

I think the Kings would need a top 3 or 4 pick. I just can't see us grabbing one of Fultz, Tatum, or Ball with a pick outside the top 5.
Ya Faultz and Dennis Smith Jr will be super stars in the league and I think Jackson will be a star and not watched yet but word is Tatum, Giles, and Issac from FSU will be stars.
This is why this year if DMC is traded wits out well for us and why we should hope Nets stay bottom 3.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Right now if I had to choose between Ball and Fultz, I would take Ball. Might change my mind later in the season, but I like Ball's all around game better, particularly on defense. Ball does have a strange looking release, but he makes them, so until he starts missing, I'm not going to worry about it. It's way too early to pass any kind of judgement on these guys. Lets see what happens when the grind gets to them, and opposition team chemistry starts coming together.

An interesting player if your looking for rim defense is Jo Lual-Acuil from Baylor. He's a seven foot shotblocking machine averaging 4.5 blocks a game at the moment. He's raw offensively, but has shown flashes here and there of possible improvement for the future. He's even hit a couple of three's. He was redshirted last year with a heart condition, so thats something to consider.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I live in between Stanford and Berkeley. Any great Pac-12 games to look out for? I was thinking of catching Washington to see Fultz.
Nothing on the schedule with Washington in the immediate future. UCLA is playing Portland tonight at 8 pm. I'll check the schedule and see what I can find.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've watched Kentucky play four times already this season, the Cleveland St. game being the latest. One player in particular, and believe me, Kentucky has several players that will be first round picks, Malik Monk has stood out. He's given Kentucky something they haven't had in a while, Booker being the last, and he was a little inconsistent at Kentucky, and that's a deadly three pt shooter. So far, Monk has been killing it. The beauty of it, is that Monk has a lot more to his game than sharpshooting. He's a terrific athlete and handles the ball extremely well.

He may be a bit undersized at 6'3" for the SG position, but you don't notice it when he's on the court. He posted a 37 " vertical at Kentucky's pro day. I don't know his wingspan, but it looks generous. Of course there's a long way to go, and who knows, the luster may wear off a little down the road. But for now, Monk and Fox are Kentucky's best players, and they make for a deadly duo in the backcourt. Here are a couple of Video's of Monk. I needed two to show off all of his skills.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Someone give me some under the radar prospects that aren't necessarily from these big programs. I'd like to watch more than just the big schools play, there are those diamonds out there somewhere.