Players to watch: 2016/17 college season.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Philadelphia is in a fantastic position right now. They've got their pick (#6), the Laker's pick (if it falls out of the top 3) and the option to swap their pick with the Kings.

Easy to see them with two top six picks.

Monk seems like a natural for them if they don't end up with Fultz or Ball. If Simmons is really the PG then Monk could guard opposing PGs while acting like a SG on offense. Plus I think his passing is underrated.

Add in a stretch four like Markkanen and that's a pretty solid team.

For the Kings I'm starting to like Ntilikina, Fox and Isaac. I haven't really liked what I've seen of Tatum or Smith Jr.

I think Bridges would be a reach but at this point I think he's underrated.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Philadelphia is in a fantastic position right now. They've got their pick (#6), the Laker's pick (if it falls out of the top 3) and the option to swap their pick with the Kings.

Easy to see them with two top six picks.

Monk seems like a natural for them if they don't end up with Fultz or Ball. If Simmons is really the PG then Monk could guard opposing PGs while acting like a SG on offense. Plus I think his passing is underrated.

Add in a stretch four like Markkanen and that's a pretty solid team.

For the Kings I'm starting to like Ntilikina, Fox and Isaac. I haven't really liked what I've seen of Tatum or Smith Jr.

I think Bridges would be a reach but at this point I think he's underrated.
I've been looking at every piece of film I can find on Ntilikina, and he looks like a very good prospect. As much as we need a PG, I think if the choice was between those three, I would take Isaac. He impacts almost every game he's in despite not being featured in any way at Florida St.. He's going to be a terrific defender, he rebounds, and he can score in a variety of ways. He's a very good athlete, and he has terrific size for the SF position. I love Fox and his athleticism, and I'm amazed he doesn't turn the ball over more than he does considering the speed at which he plays. His weakness is his outside shot. However, I think if he would improve his shot selection, his percentage would go up.

I would love to get Monk, who I think can play some Point, especially if your looking for a Bibby type PG that plays off the ball a lot. Monk has star written all over him. Offensively there isn't much he can't do, and I'm sure he'll improve those areas where he's weak. He loses focus defensively once in a while, but with his athleticism, he should develop into a two way player. Man, can he shoot the ball.

Don't know if you've had a chance to take in Xavior yet, but I like their PG, Edmond Sumner. Great size at 6'6", and a pretty good athlete. Very skilled player who can really defend. Good passer and good handles. Once again, it's the outside shot that needs improvement.

Unlike you, I'm very impressed with Dennis Smith Jr. I will admit to having to watch a lot of N. Carolina St. games to really get a read on him. He sometimes appears to be floating, and suddenly he'll explode to the basket like he's shot out of a cannon. He's a decent to good three point shooter, and he can dunk on anyone in college. He'd have more assists if someone on his team could make a shot. I do like their freshman center Yurtseven though. This will sound strange, but I describe Smith as Boringly efficient.

I remember arguing with some on the forum about Blake Griffin's athleticism when he was at Oklahoma. Some didn't think he was very athletic, but, if you watched enough games, you'd see how athletic he was. He just didn't turn it on all the time like some players do, such as Fox. Smith sort of does the same thing. If I had to compare Smith to someone, it would be Lillard.

I sit here wondering if Marques Bolden hurt his stock by actually playing.. Duke vs. North Carolina St is on. Dennis Smith Jr, Jayson Tatum, Harry Gilles, and Omer Yurtseven

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Swanigan with 24 and 17...incredible
I'm surprised that Swanigan is not projected higher. He does this every game. I know he's older than some, and he's not as athletic as some, but the dude can play. Someone is going to draft him in the second round, and have themselves quite a player.

Been watching some film on another European player who plays on the German team. Only 18 years old and very skilled. Talking about Isaiah Hartenstein. Got a little video of him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised that Swanigan is not projected higher. He does this every game. I know he's older than some, and he's not as athletic as some, but the dude can play. Someone is going to draft him in the second round, and have themselves quite a player.

Been watching some film on another European player who plays on the German team. Only 18 years old and very skilled. Talking about Isaiah Hartenstein. Got a little video of him.

you really think Swanigan would drop to the second round? You don't see a team nabbing him up in the late 20s?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
you really think Swanigan would drop to the second round? You don't see a team nabbing him up in the late 20s?
Can't speak for Baja, but from my own personal view, every time I watch Swanigan I wonder why the major sites don't have him in the first round. I'm convinced he'll go in the 20s.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Can't speak for Baja, but from my own personal view, every time I watch Swanigan I wonder why the major sites don't have him in the first round. I'm convinced he'll go in the 20s.
Well personally, I have him going around 21/22. Like I said, when I go look at some of the draft sites, they mostly have him in the second round. don't get it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think for Bridges to succeed in the NBA he'll have to develop his wing skills and move to SF.
I agree. He has to develop his outside jumper if he wants to be successful in the NBA. He has the body of a PF but the height of a SF/SG. That can work with his athleticism, but he needs to be able to shoot the ball.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Ha! Take that Bruins! 17 turnovers, they can't handle our athletic guards! Nobody is talking about Elijah Stewart but he's really stepped up his game this year. I thought Boatwright and Metu (and maybe McLaughlin) were the only Trojans with NBA potential, but I can see E. Stewart finding a backup role somewhere. His ballhandling isn't up to par yet, but he can shoot the heck out of the ball and he's an active pest on defense. I think I mentioned this before, but the freshman De'Anthony Melton is a player to keep an eye on. He's a couple years away and a little short for a wing but he can do a little bit of everything and he's absolutely fearless. He defers to his older teammates right now but as early as next year I think he could break out into a starring role. He and fellow freshman Jonah Matthews are a big reason why USC is competitive this year. They bring a lot of energy and intensity on the defensive end.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Great matchup today, Kansas/Kentucky. A lot of talent on the floor including potential lottery picks. De'Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, and Josh Jackson. Add in potential first round picks, Bam Adebayo, Isaiah Briscoe, and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. Try pronouncing that last one. We need to draft him just to see what Jerry can make out of that name. Should be a good matchup between Kansas PG Frank Mason and Kentucky's De'Aaron Fox. Game is on ESPN at 3:15 PM Pacific.

Great matchup today, Kansas/Kentucky. A lot of talent on the floor including potential lottery picks. De'Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, and Josh Jackson. Add in potential first round picks, Bam Adebayo, Isaiah Briscoe, and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. Try pronouncing that last one. We need to draft him just to see what Jerry can make out of that name. Should be a good matchup between Kansas PG Frank Mason and Kentucky's De'Aaron Fox. Game is on ESPN at 3:15 PM Pacific.
I expect this to be a game where Jackson can take advantage of Kentucky's lack of a SF. I don't think Briscoe will be able to hold up against him. I also think Monk will go off on Svi. However, if he can hold his own vs. arguably the best SG in college, his stock is definitely going to go up.

Frank Mason is really underrated. It'll be fun to watch the Monk vs. Mason matchup. Really exciting game coming up.

Donovan Mitchell has officilly arrived. Couple of days after DSj embarassed Duke, though that was at home, Mitchell came out and shut him down, making 28+8+5+2st along the way.
Massive uptick in shooting over summer shows an excellent work ethic. Now that he's a clear #1 option, his efficiency inside the arc dropped a massive 12% though, which just shows, don't make him your #1 option. But with decent handles and now clearly good shooting you are looking at Avery Bradley clone.

Wow Monk is amazing. His shot is sweeeeeeeet
He does nothing else, short, has average handles and was never this good in HS. He's making a ton of Kobe shots.
At the same time he's no Buddy Hield as he makes a ton of contested shots, often in tight spots and doesn't give up the ball that often.
Monk looks like an amazing shot-maker right now, so the question is whether he's just riding ridiculously high, or we have a rich man's Kobe?:D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He does nothing else, short, has average handles and was never this good in HS. He's making a ton of Kobe shots.
At the same time he's no Buddy Hield as he makes a ton of contested shots, often in tight spots and doesn't give up the ball that often.
Monk looks like an amazing shot-maker right now, so the question is whether he's just riding ridiculously high, or we have a rich man's Kobe?:D
Actually of late, he's been going to the basket and finishing, and also showing some floaters. Offensively he has a pretty well rounded game for a freshman. The main knock coming out of highschool was his inconsistency from the outside, and he seems to have solved that problem. He is a little undersized with an average wingspan, but, he's a terrific athlete which should lend itself to being a good defender. He's also a very good passer in traffic without turning the ball over much. You just hope he's not the next Derrick Williams.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
For anyone who's interested, my Trojans are taking on Markelle Fultz and the Huskies on ESPN3 right now. You can stream it on WatchESPN. You're going to want to see Fultz, the hype is real, but this is also the deepest SC team I've seen in 10 years. I think they're better than that Nick Young/Taj Gibson led team that got to the Sweet 16 in 2007. Also Bennie Boatwright is back from injury. He's got a chance to be a first round pick this year or next year. And check out my new favorite player De'anthony Melton while you're at it. :)

Thoughts on 6'10 210lb SF Jonathan Isaac? I seriously didn't realize how special his stats were till now...
25.2mins:
  • 13.2pts
  • 8.1rebs
  • 1ast
  • 1.6blks, 1.2stls
Shooting splits:
52.5/36.2/82.1

His ceiling is sky-high. He might even be able to play PF down the road too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Thoughts on 6'10 210lb SF Jonathan Isaac? I seriously didn't realize how special his stats were till now...
25.2mins:
  • 13.2pts
  • 8.1rebs
  • 1ast
  • 1.6blks, 1.2stls
Shooting splits:
52.5/36.2/82.1

I'm a big Isaac fan, haven't seen too much of him but from what I have seen I came away impressed. He has some serious potential on being a two way player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
25.2mins:
  • 13.2pts
  • 8.1rebs
  • 1ast
  • 1.6blks, 1.2stls
Shooting splits:
52.5/36.2/82.1

Isaac is the real deal. I think he's the best SF in the class. Definitely needs to get stronger, but he's a terrific defender, and a very good rebounder. He has a relaxed jumpshot out to the three and is a good finisher around the basket. I wish Hamilton would stop with playing his players 3 to 5 minutes and then bringing in a new wave of players. Drives me nuts trying to watch Isaac. Hard for a player to get into the flow of the game when he's constantly going on and off the floor.

If anyone wants to watch Lauri. Uofa plays Oregon state at 6 on espn2. He's really fun to watch. Also Kobi Simmons has had a really great freshmen season. Same with Rawle Alkins.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If anyone wants to watch Lauri. Uofa plays Oregon state at 6 on espn2. He's really fun to watch. Also Kobi Simmons has had a really great freshmen season. Same with Rawle Alkins.
Be interesting to see where Markkanen gets drafted. Definitely a top ten talent, and depending on what a team needs, he could go top five. Along with him and any of Jackson, Tatum and Isasc could go top five. Unfortunately there's not a lot of room in the top five with Fultz, Ball, and Smith Jr. all projected as sure top five picks. Great draft! I can only hope that the Kings find a way to nab one of these guys.

Be interesting to see where Markkanen gets drafted. Definitely a top ten talent, and depending on what a team needs, he could go top five. Along with him and any of Jackson, Tatum and Isasc could go top five. Unfortunately there's not a lot of room in the top five with Fultz, Ball, and Smith Jr. all projected as sure top five picks. Great draft! I can only hope that the Kings find a way to nab one of these guys.
It is always exciting when there might be 10 players worthy of going in the top 5 picks.

It is always exciting when there might be 10 players worthy of going in the top 5 picks.
It's so crazy when you ask anyone who they think is the #2 best player, everyone has their own guy. I think realistically when the Kings pick somewhere between 5-10, there's going to be these guys to pick from: Tatum, Marrkanen, Isaac, Monk, Fox, and Ntilinka.