Pippen likes air time, may try coaching

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14257223p-15071977c.html

Media insider: Pippen likes air time, may try coaching, too
By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:01 am PDT Friday, May 19, 2006

Scottie Pippen forever will be known as the long and lean flier for the Chicago Bulls, Michael Jordan's sidekick with plenty of kick of his own.

For now, he's Scottie Pippen, ESPN analyst for all things NBA.

It's a role he's still trying to grasp, one he enjoys, even though he beats himself up upon further review. He is finding that being a good sound bite after a game is hardly the same as breaking down teams, trends and tendencies and holding on to an audience in the millions. In front of a camera. With a suit on. And makeup.

Soon, he wants to be Scottie Pippen, coach, with the suit on game days only, sans makeup.

"I'd like to get into coaching, yes," Pippen said recently by phone. "I'd love it, actually. I've looked into it a little, college and the NBA. I like the college game, and I'd like to be a head coach someday."

Pippen got a taste of coaching during this season's training camp with the Lakers. He was brought in by his former Bulls coach, Phil Jackson, to help work with Lamar Odom.

But Pippen also sees himself as a recruiter, working the moms and pops over with charm and the sparkle of six NBA championship rings as he tries to secure a letter of intent from a prep prospect.

For now, Pippen said he continues to hone his TV craft and to watch his son, Antron Pippen, who has intrigued national scouts as an 18-year old prospect.

"He's a lot like I was, a late bloomer," the elder Pippen said. "I've got a lot of basketball going on right now."

Around the dials

Catch the excellent interview of 49ers coach Mike Nolan by Mike Lamb on Comcast SportsNet Insider. It's a two-part segment, with the coach in a Sacramento studio, with replays throughout next week, including Tuesday at various times. Lamb's next challenge is to get Raiders coach Art Shell to drop his silver and black guard a bit and reflect.

Dick Stockton still has it. The CBS TV voice for some epic Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals in the 1980s, Stockton called the Dallas-San Antonio thriller on TNT on Wednesday night. A man without TV ego, he's always sure to set up his color man and to avoid talking too much.

Reggie Miller is getting better by the week. The former Indiana Pacers great admittedly was jumpy in his first round of playoff color work for TNT after so many years of playing the game, not talking about it. In the Kings-Spurs series, for example, he expressed astonishment that the Kings' "Francisco Rodriguez was even on the floor." He meant Francisco García. Miller also called Shareef Abdur-Rahim "Shareef Abdul" at least twice, but in his last two games he butchered no names.

Kobe Bryant was a strong guest on TNT's NBA show, though his powder blue sweater might have looked better on Kenny Smith, from his powder blue North Carolina and Kings days.

About the writer: The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at jdavidson@ sacbee.com.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF21 said:
Kobe Bryant was a strong guest on TNT's NBA show, though his powder blue sweater might have looked better on Kenny Smith, from his powder blue North Carolina and Kings days.
On that show, Kobe said he's taking the #24 to signify that he's about basketball 24/7.

Yeah... whatever.

;)

VF21 said:
On that show, Kobe said he's taking the #24 to signify that he's about basketball 24/7.

Yeah... whatever.

;)
It's true. His previous #8 was a tribute to the Beatles, as he needs the love of basketball eight days a week. It's all coming round full circle.

KevinMartin'sShotDoctor said:
It's true. His previous #8 was a tribute to the Beatles, as he needs the love of basketball eight days a week. It's all coming round full circle.
I heard it was because he lived in Italy and itolized d'antoni when he played there and that was his number- i havent verified it- but its what i heard on TNT or something.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Please. We all know the truth. It's because Michael Jordan and now LeBron James have #23, so Kobe has to go one better.

;)

VF21 said:
Please. We all know the truth. It's because Michael Jordan and now LeBron James have #23, so Kobe has to go one better.

;)
Jordan? James??

You know as well as I do that Kobe's just trying to outshine Kevin Martin.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There is that...

Another alternative?

Jack Nicholson has a primo seat for all the Laker games. The guy that sits next to him bears a passing resemblance to Donald Sutherland. Donald Sutherland is, of course, Keifer Sutherland's father. And Keifer Sutherland is, duh, the star of the outrageously popular 24.

I'm really surprised I didn't realize that before...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BMiller52 said:
Is Pippen a candidate for the open coaching spot we have?
Anything is possible, of course, but I don't think he fits the profile of what Petrie and the Maloofs are looking for.

And there's a hint about where he might go right in the article:

Pippen got a taste of coaching during this season's training camp with the Lakers. He was brought in by his former Bulls coach, Phil Jackson, to help work with Lamar Odom.
Starting in coaching as an assistant coach for Phil Jackson would probably be about the smoothest entry into the NBA coaching ranks.

VF21 said:
Anything is possible, of course, but I don't think he fits the profile of what Petrie and the Maloofs are looking for.

And there's a hint about where he might go right in the article:

Starting in coaching as an assistant coach for Phil Jackson would probably be about the smoothest entry into the NBA coaching ranks.
I don't know about that. I don't think he'd get along w/ Kobe. Pippen, after overcoming his piccadillos(?), became quite critical of superstar teammates who didn't give full effort. He had a very public falling out with Chuck, and things got abrasive in Portland as well. Pippen became every bit as critical as MJ, only without any of the guile and only half the charisma.

Pippen was also a very high profile player, and they don't typically serve apprenticeships before becoming head coaches. Neither Bird nor Zeke was ever an assistant. Nor was Magic.

Scottie's still working because of that $18 mill, 5 year mistake he signed in 91. Not that he can't survive on that contract alone, but one becomes accustomed to expensive tastes after 19 years in the league and life is long.

PS: Scottie also can't speak coherent English, so he's a perfect fit for the TNT crew.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What's your opinion on whether or not he might join PJ as an assistant coach at some point in the future?

Venom said:
I don't know about that. I don't think he'd get along w/ Kobe. Pippen, after overcoming his piccadillos(?), became quite critical of superstar teammates who didn't give full effort.
He learned that from MJ. During an interview w/ ESPN in 1998 after Jordan retired, they played for him audio of Jordan saying, "I didn't appreciate having to carry Scottie and Horace when their asses got tight late in games and my father didn't either." Pippen said he didn't know what Mike was talking about and insisted that he never had to carry his *** (which is why Jackson was so adamant about Kukoc taking that final shot in 94, I guess).

VF21 said:
What's your opinion on whether or not he might join PJ as an assistant coach at some point in the future?
Doubtful unless Shaw gets offered a job elsewhere. I wouldn't expect anything but special asst status to teach defense or something (which is a bogus title anyway -- that's what Kareem is -- because no one else would touch him w/ a pole).

I don't doubt that he could find an asst job in the league though, just on name recognition.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Gargamel said:
Scottie's still working because of that $18 mill, 5 year mistake he signed in 91. Not that he can't survive on that contract alone, but one becomes accustomed to expensive tastes after 19 years in the league and life is long.

PS: Scottie also can't speak coherent English, so he's a perfect fit for the TNT crew.
another charity case just like Spreewell. How are they going to feed their families ?:rolleyes:

piksi said:
another charity case just like Spreewell. How are they going to feed their families ?
He's an interesting case. The golden age of contracts began in the mid 90s and topped out in 96. One sign that this ceiling on contracts was going to keep growing until the next chance to renegotiate the CBA was the institution of the rookie contract scale in 95. In 92, Jon Barry, Doug Christie, Zo Mourning, and Jim Jackson (58 gms missed) sat out for exorbitant rookie deals which obviously put owners in the tough spot of paying thru the nose for a potential bust. In 94, Glenn Robinson signed for $68 mill (iirc), which was the richest rookie deal in history (Shaq signed for $44 mill only 2 years previous). That was one sign that things were spiraling out of control. Pippen missed that gravy boat.

In the summer of 96, we all remember the obscene contracts that were passed out like candy. Shaq got $120 mill, but guys like Juwan Howard and Vin Baker were getting comparable offers.

Pippen was locked into the deal he signed in 91. Sedale Threatt was making a comparable amount per year around that time. For his unique talents and his sheer length and D, he would've been a hundred million dollar man had he been able to renegotiate (Reinsdorf refused). Because of that, his best season (1994) was his most insane. That year, he alienated Kukoc right off the bat. He was so disgruntled that he said the Bulls fans didn't boo white players and he flipped them off when they boo'd him for saying it. He also threw a chair onto the court and pulled the famous 1.8 sec incident. There were serious offseason rumors about a trade for Kemp (who also kept whining about the contract he signed -- his white nemesis w/ the big bank was Jim McIllvaine).

Imagine all the things he brought to the Bulls and he couldn't get market value during that era of spending which was sure to end. I would've been just as pissed off as he was knowing that it was my fault for signing the contract that locked me in. I'd actually resent helping the Bulls win 6 titles when I considered the mountain of cash I missed out on.

That said, he could've had it worse. Michael Cooper hocked his 1980 ring for $11,000. Most of the young players probably don't even realize how lucky they are to be born when they were.

Last edited: