PG for the Kings

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The thing with Bledsoe and Tyreke is that no team is going to trade for them now. They missed majority of last season due to injury so teams trading for them will want to see them play before they pull the trigger on the deal.

This is especially true with Bledsoe who is signed to a longer term deal. With Tyreke, a team might take a shot given that he is an expiring deal but I highly doubt that teams would want to give up major assets in that scenario. I would be confident in saying that Kings wouldn't be giving up Gay for Tyreke who has missed most of last season and had 3 surgeries on his knee in the last 12 months or so.
Tyreke had a lot of problems when he was with us. His types of injuries tend to recur and recur and recur. I mentioned him "if" if he was healthy not knowing how his health had played out but knowing the possibility of recurrence was high. That's too bad.

The thing with Bledsoe and Tyreke is that no team is going to trade for them now. They missed majority of last season due to injury so teams trading for them will want to see them play before they pull the trigger on the deal.

This is especially true with Bledsoe who is signed to a longer term deal. With Tyreke, a team might take a shot given that he is an expiring deal but I highly doubt that teams would want to give up major assets in that scenario. I would be confident in saying that Kings wouldn't be giving up Gay for Tyreke who has missed most of last season and had 3 surgeries on his knee in the last 12 months or so.
Yea your right.

+1

It would be best to focus on someone not injured so often IMO. Info below from the article in that link:

"After playing in a career-high 79 games in 2014-15, Evans underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in May. The procedure was a debridement to remove loose particles, Pelicans trainer Duane Brooks told ESPN in April.

Evans then bumped knees with Kendrick Perkins in preseason practice, causing a chip in his right knee that required surgery in October.

He returned Dec. 1, but persistent knee swelling -- despite the draining of fluid "several times," per Brooks -- led to an osteochondral autograft transfer system (OATS) procedure in February to replace cartilage in three areas of his knee, according to Brooks.

Brooks said Evans has a history of bilateral knee cartilage wear and trace of fusion on both knees that dates back to before the 2013 sign-and-trade that brought him to New Orleans."

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It would be best to focus on someone not injured so often IMO. Info below from the article in that link:

"After playing in a career-high 79 games in 2014-15, Evans underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in May. The procedure was a debridement to remove loose particles, Pelicans trainer Duane Brooks told ESPN in April.

Evans then bumped knees with Kendrick Perkins in preseason practice, causing a chip in his right knee that required surgery in October.

He returned Dec. 1, but persistent knee swelling -- despite the draining of fluid "several times," per Brooks -- led to an osteochondral autograft transfer system (OATS) procedure in February to replace cartilage in three areas of his knee, according to Brooks.

Brooks said Evans has a history of bilateral knee cartilage wear and trace of fusion on both knees that dates back to before the 2013 sign-and-trade that brought him to New Orleans."
Thank you very much. A major problem with the type of injuries Tyreke seems to acquire at a rapid rate is that rest is part of a very good rehabilitation.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I like how Vlade's being patient. Tyreke is not an option. If they don't get one with Rudy Gay as a trade chip, then I'd use Ben to get a younger guy in a straight up deal or trade Ben for a 2nd rounder or late, late first and then sign a FA such as Cole or Udrih.

I'd look into Philly as a trade partner. They are overloaded with bigs and SF's. Saric is coming over. I'd love to acquire that guy and maybe McConnell in a deal.

Is there any promsing pg from summer leagues that are undrafted and available to sign to training camp to compete with I Cuz for a roster spot?
Will we have roster space for a vet FA and Icuz?

DC,vet FA,temple,Icuz
AA,Ben,Malachi
Gay,Omri,Barnes
WCS,Tolliver,Skal
Cuz,Kk,Papa,

Thats 16,if no trade, how do we keep Icuz and FA?
And how do we find a spot for Lamar?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there any promsing pg from summer leagues that are undrafted and available to sign to training camp to compete with I Cuz for a roster spot?

DC,vet FA,temple,Icuz
AA,Ben,Malachi
Gay,Omri,Barnes
WCS,Tolliver,Skal
Cuz,Kk,Papa,

I think there will be at least one trade, but if there isn't then I would expect that it simply comes down to Isaiah Cousins OR a free agent PG. More than likely the latter as Cousins has shown some skill but not enough to where I'd depend on him when the only true PG on the roster is Collison who may miss some games.

Norris Cole
Donald Sloan
Beno Udrih
Ronnie Price

Not exciting names, but solid vets that could help the Kings.

Minnesota has three PG's on its roster. Rubio may not get traded and Dunn is a rookie with promise. How about Tyrus Jones? I liked him coming out of Duke, and even though he's extremely inexperienced, he has a solid upside IMO.

dude12

Hall of Famer
There are lots of 2nd year PGs who are buried on the depth chart with teams. Ben for any of them would help resolve the PG issue. Of course, there is always a bigger trade involving Gay but young PGs like Rozier, Tyus Jones, McConnel, Dulon Wright, Jordan McRae, etc

Sounds like Temple will be playing the PG... and I. Cousins is yet to be signed... so, the Kings could start the season without a trade by simply signing I. Cousins... not sure that is a great unit at the PG, but it might be what they go with.

DC,vet FA,temple,Icuz
AA,Ben,Malachi
Gay,Omri,Barnes
WCS,Tolliver,Skal
Cuz,Kk,Papa,

I Cuz is NOT a guaranteedcontract and one of either Papa, Skal or Malachi can be sent to Reno. I am not saying that is what Vlade will do but he could do that.

I don't now that Cousins makes the 15 man roster. He reminds me of a bigger Seth Curry who can handle the ball better. Have similar limitations on offense. Not great playmakers or facilitators. Can't get to the rim. Can't finish at the rim. A bit slow laterally, and lacks athleticism.

There are lots of 2nd year PGs who are buried on the depth chart with teams. Ben for any of them would help resolve the PG issue. Of course, there is always a bigger trade involving Gay but young PGs like Rozier, Tyus Jones, McConnel, Dulon Wright, Jordan McRae, etc
The Wolves don't need Mclemore, but I could see the Celtics possibly wanting to make that trade. That being said Rozier has looked pretty solid in SL whereas McLemore has not shown much for a good while.

The Wolves don't need Mclemore, but I could see the Celtics possibly wanting to make that trade. That being said Rozier has looked pretty solid in SL whereas McLemore has not shown much for a good while.
Celtics are loaded at the guard position no need for McLemore. Demitrius Jackson might not make the Celtics team. He was mocked to be a first rounder this year out of ND but fell to the second round. If he gets cut he would be a nice PG to take a look at, it wouldn't cost you anything.

Celtics are loaded at the guard position no need for McLemore. Demitrius Jackson might not make the Celtics team. He was mocked to be a first rounder this year out of ND but fell to the second round. If he gets cut he would be a nice PG to take a look at, it wouldn't cost you anything.
Kings if I have it right, have a numbers crunch. I believe they have 14 guaranteed contracts not counting Isiah Cousins. With the limit being fifteen. Unless they trade or cut someone, they would just be exchanging one second round rookie with another leaving the same hole.

I have a question, are Zizic and Yabusle going back overseas? Excluding them and Josh Holland, you guys will have exactly 15 on the roster after signing your other rookies. I'd love Jackson on this team. I'm a big fan of his and still don't know why he fell.

He's a bit undersized, but he makes it up with his athleticism and explosiveness.

Kings if I have it right, have a numbers crunch. I believe they have 14 guaranteed contracts not counting Isiah Cousins. With the limit being fifteen. Unless they trade or cut someone, they would just be exchanging one second round rookie with another leaving the same hole.
Jackson is a lot better than Cousins. I think the Kings would easily take Jackson over Cousins if it came down to it.

I have a question, are Zizic and Yabusle going back overseas? Excluding them and Josh Holland, you guys will have exactly 15 on the roster after signing your other rookies. I'd love Jackson on this team. I'm a big fan of his and still don't know why he fell.

He's a bit undersized, but he makes it up with his athleticism and explosiveness.
Zizic is going overseas most likely Yabusle will go too unless some kind of trade happens. Unfortunately I don't think Jackson makes the team due to not enough roster spots. Things could change if a trade happens

Sounds like Temple will be playing the PG... and I. Cousins is yet to be signed... so, the Kings could start the season without a trade by simply signing I. Cousins... not sure that is a great unit at the PG, but it might be what they go with.
From the Temple interview thread:
He plans on playing point guard. A lot of us said that that's a possibility already but it is interesting to hear him say it himself. I guess he will be the primary ball handler with our second unit as long as Collison is out.
"I’ll be playing some point guard this year, and obviously playing the two and the three as well. But I’m working on my decision-making coming off of ball screens. People don’t realize that I’m a pretty good decision-maker and that I played point guard a lot growing up. I played point guard my whole high school career and a lot in college. The last couple of years I’ve been playing on the wing more, but I’m going to show people that I’m a versatile guy that can play the one, two and three.”

I got the impression Temple would be playing the backup PG while DC is out, Kings will need a full season Backup that can start for 10 Games
I am ok with Garret playing with the second unit as PG, We need at least that backup PG

without a trade for a real #2 PG, I think whatever FA is avail will be signed at last min and ICuz will not be signed

dude12

Hall of Famer
From the Temple interview thread:
He plans on playing point guard. A lot of us said that that's a possibility already but it is interesting to hear him say it himself. I guess he will be the primary ball handler with our second unit as long as Collison is out.
"I’ll be playing some point guard this year, and obviously playing the two and the three as well. But I’m working on my decision-making coming off of ball screens. People don’t realize that I’m a pretty good decision-maker and that I played point guard a lot growing up. I played point guard my whole high school career and a lot in college. The last couple of years I’ve been playing on the wing more, but I’m going to show people that I’m a versatile guy that can play the one, two and three.”

I got the impression Temple would be playing the backup PG while DC is out, Kings will need a full season Backup that can start for 10 Games
I am ok with Garret playing with the second unit as PG, We need at least that backup PG

without a trade for a real #2 PG, I think whatever FA is avail will be signed at last min and ICuz will not be signed
I suspect or I'm guessing that a reason we picked up Lamar Patterson is that he can handle the ball way better than Ben McLemore. So two tall and long guards with length who can handle the ball in Temple and Patterson off the bench? Not great ball handlers but two guys who can initiate the offense as long as its ball movement oriented. Just spitballing here.

Contracts are worse than I thought, I think the Lamar contract is considered a signed contract we assumed when he was claimed off waivers Hoopshype shows he has $874K in salary for us next year
More important that makes 15 contracts so we have to dump a contract to sign ANY PG. Whether it be a FA PG or I Cuz

Can we waive Lamar right after we claimed him off waivers?
I think Ben has to go Now for either A: a backup PG or B: a 2nd rd draft pick to make roster spot avail and save 4 mil to sign a back-up PG

I think that is the hold up with Vlade , he wants to get some value for Ben, but wont waive him even to get a 3rd PG behind DC and Temple

Last edited:
I was surprised he fell as far as he did. Could end up being one of the best PGs in this draft.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Contracts are worse than I thought, I think the Lamar contract is considered a signed contract we assumed when he was claimed off waivers Hoopshype shows he has $874K in salary for us next year
More important that makes 15 contracts so we have to dump a contract to sign ANY PG. Whether it be a FA PG or I Cuz

Can we waive Lamar right after we claimed him off waivers?
I believe that the Lamar Patterson contract is unguaranteed, so we should still be able to waive him after training camp if we so desire.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Minnesota has three PG's on its roster. Rubio may not get traded and Dunn is a rookie with promise. How about Tyrus Jones? I liked him coming out of Duke, and even though he's extremely inexperienced, he has a solid upside IMO.
I'll tell you, he didn't look extremely inexperienced in summer league. He played extremely well, and was probably the best player on that team. He shot the ball well, and got wherever he wanted on the court. He looked like a solid veteran. This is coming from someone that has never liked Jones. The Capt will attest to that. I would be fine if the Kings acquired him based on what I saw in Las Vegas.

By the way, and the Capt will probably punch me, but Jimmer played very well there. His ball handling and passing have improved as has his defense. He also shot the ball very well. I hope he gets another shot by someone.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I was surprised he fell as far as he did. Could end up being one of the best PGs in this draft.
Were I you, I'd put my money on Dunn being the best PG out of this draft, but one of the best, yeah, maybe. Jackson played OK in summer league. He's good at getting to the basket. Very good athlete who looks quicker in person, but so does Dunn, and Dunn is a lot bigger than Jackson. Damm shame he got that concussion and robbed me of a couple of games. I thought Baldwin played fine, but you could see the differences between him and Dunn. Dunn's ball handling is much better than Baldwins and his ability to get into the paint is better. What's amazing is that both are listed at 6'4" and some change, but when you see them up close and personal, Dunn is obviously bigger overall. Baldwin almost looks frail by comparison. I exaggerate, and nothing a few pounds of muscle won't cure.