Petrie on 1140 right now.

I was thinking maybe he was going to get hired here(IIRC Petrie mentioned he wants a coach by mid june for the draft) but now that you brought up Orlando... that makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, he surely didn't turn down Indiana in favor of Orlando, since Hill wasn't fired until today. And talk in Orlando doesn't put SVG near the top of their wish list.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Orlando Magic fire coach Hill[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
BY JOHN DENTON
FLORIDA TODAY
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ORLANDO — Brian Hill was fired Wednesday as head coach of the Orlando Magic and is expected to be offered a position within the organization.

The Magic are expected to release an official statement later today.

Hill was informed of the decision Wednesday afternoon following a meeting with team president Bob Vander Weide and general manager Otis Smith.

Hill’s firing should rekindle the talk of the Magic pursuing University of Florida head coach Billy Donovan, who guided the Gators to consecutive national championships. He passed up the opportunity to sign a contract extension last summer and has yet to ink a new deal with Florida.

Other potential candidates could include Larry Brown, Paul Silas, Stan Van Gundy, Rick Carlisle, Sam Vincent, Bob Hill, Bernie Bickerstaff and Dwane Casey.

So it seems like we could yet end up with Ron Jeremy in town.
[/FONT]

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Good news about SVG and the Indiana job. And with apologies to our Pacer fan compatriots, I never understood why he would be eager to take that job anyway. That team is a mess now, has a bunch of bad contracts, and just in gerneral is looking to be a morass that an experienced guy like SVG may not really need to get himself mixed up in.

Of course, the same could be said about us... ;)

Of course, the same could be said about us... ;)
True, but there is some upside.

Since Petrie's planning on hiring a coach before the draft, he will apparently get input into personnel matters. When the season starts, he doesn't even have to have a great year to be a hero, he just has to suck less than Muss did, which shouldn't be any problem. Assuming that we FINALLY go into rebuild mode, he doesn't even have to win games, he just has to put a little excitement back into watching, and leave us feeling that our collection of talent, however meagre, is being well utilized.

And that brings him to '08-'09, by which time Bibby will be an expiring, Artest will either be gone or be an expiring, with Brad, KT and SAR all leaving at the end of '09-'10.

Now could be a great time to become the Kings coach.

On the other hand, he surely didn't turn down Indiana in favor of Orlando, since Hill wasn't fired until today. And talk in Orlando doesn't put SVG near the top of their wish list.

So it seems like we could yet end up with Ron Jeremy in town.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
He might have only got the boot today but everyone knew he was a dead man walking.

As for SVG, I never understood the talk that he will coach Indiana. SVG is an experienced cat and Indiana were just not a good fit. A star player that apparently wants out and a bunch of really bad contracts and no bright future.

Of course, similar could be said for us but we are slightly better. Having said that SVG would be a perfect get for Orlando. He could do a fair bit with that team.

BTW, could any of you kind people that listened to Petrie's interview fill us foreigners in as to what they talked about and what GP said?

I only listened to like the 2nd half of the interview but basically he said nothing. He said a couple notable things though:

He thinks we can get a good player at #10, not sure if we can get a great one even though this draft is loaded but he definitely thinks we can get a good player.

He wants a coach by mid june at the latest(which basically tells me Porter won't get the job since he'll be busy with the finals) so the coach can help him with draft stuff. He has 3-4 hour interviews with coaches.

He might've said 1 or 2 more things but I can't think right now. He repeated the "we can get a good player at #10, but it's hard to get a great player at #10" line a couple times IIRC.

For those of us that live here in Sac(and for those that dont, you can go online and listen there)Carmichael Dave is going to replay the GP interview at 11:30pm(pacific time)

BTW, could any of you kind people that listened to Petrie's interview fill us foreigners in as to what they talked about and what GP said?

I heard the whole thing and did not learn a thing...not that I expected to learn anything. GP seems like a very cool guy and I love him as our GM, but if you think that he is ever going to say something meaningful to the media.....well, I think we all know better.

For those of us that live here in Sac(and for those that dont, you can go online and listen there)Carmichael Dave is going to replay the GP interview at 11:30pm(pacific time)
Link? :)

Thanks to everyone for helping. So GP basically said what we all know. We should get a good player @ 10 but not a great one :rolleyes:

Did he even mention the possibility of trading up to get an earlier pick?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When the season starts, he doesn't even have to have a great year to be a hero, he just has to suck less than Muss did...
Now that's a selling point.

:p

Heck, there are at least a handful of people on this very board who could manage to do that ... and probably would do it for less than what we're paying Musselman NOT to coach.

Now that's a selling point.

:p

Heck, there are at least a handful of people on this very board who could manage to do that ... and probably would do it for less than what we're paying Musselman NOT to coach.
You got THAT right! I mean, c'mon, how high(or LOW) did Muss put the bar at when he got canned??

Well, I'm not coaching Kings for much much less than Musselman is :D

PS 138th post, woohoo

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Since Petrie's planning on hiring a coach before the draft, he will apparently get input into personnel matters. When the season starts, he doesn't even have to have a great year to be a hero, he just has to suck less than Muss did, which shouldn't be any problem.
I could easily see the next coach having a worse record than Muss:

1) We aren't getting as talented a player as Artest when we trade him

2) It's doubtful we will have as experienced a pg as Mike Bibby (after we trade him).

3) If we blow it up and go young, young players make mistakes and have growing pains ==> Losing

4) We still have Kenny Thomas

5) We still have Brad Miller

6) Brad Miller is due for another injury

7) Our #1 pick is going to be a project; he's not going to make a big impact on winning next year. It will probably take him 1-2 years before that happens.

8) It's a new coach and a new system. Even if the coach is great, it still takes time for the players to adjust to him and he to them.

2) It's doubtful we will have as experienced a pg as Mike Bibby (after we trade him).

3) If we blow it up and go young, young players make mistakes and have growing pains ==> Losing

4) We still have Kenny Thomas

5) We still have Brad Miller

6) Brad Miller is due for another injury

7) Our #1 pick is going to be a project; he's not going to make a big impact on winning next year. It will probably take him 1-2 years before that happens.

8) It's a new coach and a new system. Even if the coach is great, it still takes time for the players to adjust to him and he to them.
thats what should have happened last season but with alot of vets moved in favor of the youngins.

[.........]
IF we blow it up this summer (not just trade veterans for veterans), I could also imagine a new coach having as bad a W-L record, or maybe worse. But you're equating that with a failure of the coach, and I'm not. I expect a coach to utilize our players wisely, get all the parts working together, and get the guys playing hard so that it's fun to watch. If he does that with a very weak roster and we continue losing games, then I say: three cheers for the coach! He did all he could, our youngsters improved a lot, we saw some exciting games, and we get another shot at the lottery.

But, unless we trade Artest, Bibby and SAR for utterly worthless enders, and get no youngsters out of the deal, I doubt that we'll lose more games. Last year our "team" was much worse than the sum of its players. A bunch of scrubs who were motivated and working together would do at least as well, as some truly horrible rosters showed us last season.

I'll be the first to blame a coach for failure to execute the coach's job description, but I'm not about to blame a coach for shortcomings of the GM and owners, or for the existence of a natural team lifecycle.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
IF we blow it up this summer (not just trade veterans for veterans), I could also imagine a new coach having as bad a W-L record, or maybe worse. But you're equating that with a failure of the coach, and I'm not. I expect a coach to utilize our players wisely, get all the parts working together, and get the guys playing hard so that it's fun to watch. If he does that with a very weak roster and we continue losing games, then I say: three cheers for the coach! He did all he could, our youngsters improved a lot, we saw some exciting games, and we get another shot at the lottery.
Exactly.

I want to see the team working with the coach, not working in spite of him as was the appearance last season.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

But, unless we trade Artest, Bibby and SAR for utterly worthless enders, and get no youngsters out of the deal, I doubt that we'll lose more games. Last year our "team" was much worse than the sum of its players. A bunch of scrubs who were motivated and working together would do at least as well, as some truly horrible rosters showed us last season.

I'll be the first to blame a coach for failure to execute the coach's job description, but I'm not about to blame a coach for shortcomings of the GM and owners, or for the existence of a natural team lifecycle.
I agree that the coach's performance should not be measured solely on the W-L record. That will hold true especially if we do go young. That opinion is not necessarily widely held on this board though, and that's what I was responding to. But if I'm trying to be realistic about Artest, Bibby and SAR, I don't agree that we'll get players next year that are better than the above three. If we get picks or youngins, they could definitely be better a few years down the line though. For next year, the Artest trade should be a net
(-). Bibby has a big contract. All things being equal, the bigger the contract, the less the market value of the player. SAR probably doesn't have much value imo, even with the decent sized contract. Again, for next year, I just don't see trades involving those players bringing us players who are better than Artest, Bibby and SAR, even with better team chemistry. That said, I'd like to see them all gone by the time the season starts so that we can begin to rebuild with youth and have those players develop into something better than Artest, Bibby and SAR.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree that the coach's performance should not be measured solely on the W-L record. That will hold true especially if we do go young. That opinion is not necessarily widely held on this board though, and that's what I was responding to.
I have to disagree. I think the majority of people around here are savvy enough to realize it's not just about the W-L when assessing the performance of a new coach.