Olden Polynice on Marvin Bagley

Perfect, so he's got a year where he can watch on the sidelines, study game film, look at schemes, have an asst coach show him the game on cerebral level so that when he comes back the mental side is taken care of and the physical side is what he needs to work on. Basically he was given a year to work on BBIQ while he was injured. Did he come back with a better understanding of the game? Where to be? What the team needs from him? What his guards need from him?

No.

So stop making excuses.
21 year old player 80 games into a career. 5 games into a season after a season he missed due to injury.

Tell you what, you do you and I will do me.

My 2 cents. He is still a rookie. Early he was trying to do too much. If I where him I would focus on what the coach wants me to do and NOT do. If something doesn't work (like dribbling during your post moves) don't do that. I would focus on being a solid contributor to the team and building my strength. Later the rest will come.

My 2 cents. He is still a rookie. Early he was trying to do too much. If I where him I would focus on what the coach wants me to do and NOT do. If something doesn't work (like dribbling during your post moves) don't do that. I would focus on being a solid contributor to the team and building my strength. Later the rest will come.

We are beyond parody now.

The Rockets attacked Bags last game on both sides of the court--exploiting his tunnel vision/black hole tendencies on offense and bullying him on defense. Due to scheduling, he gets to play them in the very next game, so this is, by far, his best opportunity to make a statement.

So to Bags, step up and prove it. You lost that last game. It was on you. You think you're a star, so show up tonight. Go get 20 points, 10 boards, 5 assists, and 2 blocks tonight (plus 2/5 from three). That's my expectation for you tonight and every night going forward.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The Rockets attacked Bags last game on both sides of the court--exploiting his tunnel vision/black hole tendencies on offense and bullying him on defense. Due to scheduling, he gets to play them in the very next game, so this is, by far, his best opportunity to make a statement.

So to Bags, step up and prove it. You lost that last game. It was on you. You think you're a star, so show up tonight. Go get 20 points, 10 boards, 5 assists, and 2 blocks tonight (plus 2/5 from three). That's my expectation for you tonight and every night going forward.
Lol

Here's his nearest comp: https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/marvin_bagley_iii_vs_john_collins.htm

Collins averaged: 22 points, 10 boards, 2 assists, and 2 blocks per game in his third season. That should be Bags minimum threshold this year.

And here's Ayton: https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/deandre_ayton_vs_marvin_bagley_iii.htm
Ayton averaged 18 points, 12 boards, 2 assists, and 2 blocks per game in his second year. For those who consider this to be Bags second year, that should be his benchmark.

Last edited:
I think he looked better as a rookie than he has this year and last.
He was the main man off the bench, mostly attacking second units. Now he's the 3rd or 4th option on offense, mostly battling starters.

If the goal is to develop Bagley, then I'm fine with him starting and seeing what happens. I'm skeptical, but there's not much to lose if this is a rebuilding year. So much of the Kings becoming contenders relies on turning these top picks into stars.

But he would look so much better as the scoring bench option, and as time goes on it looks more like that is his future role too.

Here's his nearest comp: https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/marvin_bagley_iii_vs_john_collins.htm

Collins averaged: 22 points, 10 boards, 2 assists, and 2 blocks per game in his third season. That should be Bags minimum threshold this year.

And here's Ayton: https://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/deandre_ayton_vs_marvin_bagley_iii.htm
Ayton averaged 18 points, 12 boards, 2 assists, and 2 blocks per game in his second year. For those who consider this to be Bags second year, that should be his benchmark.
I’d be thrilled if he averages two assists a game. As of now, he’s played 80 games with an average of 25 min per game and doesn’t even average one assist. It’s the one aspect of his game that really bugs me. Once he gets the ball you know he’s not passing it.

He was the main man off the bench, mostly attacking second units. Now he's the 3rd or 4th option on offense, mostly battling starters.

If the goal is to develop Bagley, then I'm fine with him starting and seeing what happens. I'm skeptical, but there's not much to lose if this is a rebuilding year. So much of the Kings becoming contenders relies on turning these top picks into stars.

But he would look so much better as the scoring bench option, and as time goes on it looks more like that is his future role too.
I'll defend Bags here. If the trajectory is for him to be a bench scoring option, the Kings should trade him now. Bags needs time to prove it. I'm trying to giving him another year, but admittedly, I may pull the plug in a month. Without Haliburton, who plays winning hoops, tonight may be the biggest night for Bags in his, now, three year career. The Kings are going to lose today's game without a big, outlier game from him. Bounce back or collapse. We'll see.

Last edited:
I’d be thrilled if he averages two assists a game. As of now, he’s played 80 games with an average of 25 min per game and doesn’t even average one assist. It’s the one aspect of his game that really bugs me. Once he gets the ball you know he’s not passing it.
I agree. The only thing I have to add is, passing is as much between the ears as it is a natural skill. The game, his understanding of the offense and his teammates, really needs to be 6 or 7 levels higher than where it is currently.

In the Athletic, Barnes criticized Bagley. Basically said, Bagley needs to stop measuring his performances by his offensive numbers. He should listen to Barnes. WCS was/is guilty of the same criticism. Notice a pattern with the bigs that Vlade selected?

The problem with Bagley mostly it's not his offense, it's his defense. When you're 6'9" and let a short player like Eric Gordon bullied you inside pushing you to create space for an open lay up, that is a problem. His defense leave a lot to desire. His offense of taking the ball rising up and dunk is too slow and often got stripped.

He wants the same team that picked him ahead of a generational talent and a team that has stuck by him through injury and poor play to trade him 6 games into the season? Why isn’t Marvin putting a stop to this nonsense? It doesn’t appear the Third is very active on Twitter but he surely knows what’s going on. The company picnic might be awkward this year.

Bagley's dad is clearly an unhelpful douche. Obviously it happens - am sure we all have a mix of characters in our families. Thankfully mine don't tweet at my employers. Anyways. I don't know where MBIII will finish his career - putting his father aside - and judging from only general player movement in the NBA - it isn't likely (although not impossible) to be with the Kings. For now though he is a King and will continue to be so for sometime longer - so I will support him and his growth.