Olden Polynice on Marvin Bagley

“If he’s healthy, to me, he’s along the lines of Giannis. Because he can handle the ball, he can shoot–he’s a better shooter than Giannis. He has right-shoulder, left-shoulder moves, he runs the floor extremely well, he jumps really high, he really is a generational talent,” Polynice said.

This is my take also.

Attachments

Lofty comparison. Giannis was a bit raw when he came into the League, but has since developed his game - which is what Marvin will need to do in order to optimize his potential. The Greek Freak is physically stronger than M.B., another area where Bagley needs improvement. Frankly, I don’t expect we’re going to see any “MBIII vs. G.A. - Who is Better?” takes coming down the pike but I’d love to be wrong.

“If he’s healthy, to me, he’s along the lines of Giannis. Because he can handle the ball, he can shoot–he’s a better shooter than Giannis. He has right-shoulder, left-shoulder moves, he runs the floor extremely well, he jumps really high, he really is a generational talent,” Polynice said.

This is my take also.
Let me help you:

In Bagley’s rookie year, he was flashing some Giannis like skills. Especially the ability to grab a board and take it coast to coast. If you search far enough, you’ll even find some of my comments saying bags is giannis like. Prior to that Brogdan moving screen, Bagley was even flashing a euro step, which kinda evened out the out of control turnovers and charging fouls.

Bagley can jump high and he has athleticism. He’s about the same as a shooter as Giannis now, but what exactly is that saying?

Bagley cannot successfully turn on either shoulder. The Kings play him on the left side of the court so when he turns left, his dominant arm is on the baseline. The few times that he’s on the right block, instead turning baseline (onto his right arm) he turns left, which often leads to him backing down into a double team. Worse, instead of reading the defense n facing up or passing out, he still backs down into a double team.

On defense, Giannis and Bags are night and day. One guy blocks shots with both hands while the other cuts his wingspan in half by only using his left. Ditto for their individual and team defense.

Giannis is a decent passer, who operates like an exceptional distributor bcz he can get to the rim in two steps. Gravity pulls defenders in, making his passing much more effective. Bagley is a poor passer and has even worse vision—without the gravity that Giannis has. Watch a game and count the number of bounce passes from Bagley or the number of two level passes. They don’t exist.

So, yea, there’s some similarities, but right now its just hope. I’d settle for a third year pro, who plays a full season before I start spewing superstar comparisons.

So, yea, there’s some similarities, but right now its just hope. I’d settle for a third year pro, who plays a full season before I start spewing superstar comparisons.
It doesn't mean much to have similarities to a superstar but MB is still a kid who can and will improve. If these comparisons at least serve as a reminder for those who are already giving up on him, that might be enough for now. It's still better than saying "He's at best a more agile Frank Kaminsky".

:p

Let me help you:

In Bagley’s rookie year, he was flashing some Giannis like skills. Especially the ability to grab a board and take it coast to coast. If you search far enough, you’ll even find some of my comments saying bags is giannis like. Prior to that Brogdan moving screen, Bagley was even flashing a euro step, which kinda evened out the out of control turnovers and charging fouls.

Bagley can jump high and he has athleticism. He’s about the same as a shooter as Giannis now, but what exactly is that saying?

Bagley cannot successfully turn on either shoulder. The Kings play him on the left side of the court so when he turns left, his dominant arm is on the baseline. The few times that he’s on the right block, instead turning baseline (onto his right arm) he turns left, which often leads to him backing down into a double team. Worse, instead of reading the defense n facing up or passing out, he still backs down into a double team.

On defense, Giannis and Bags are night and day. One guy blocks shots with both hands while the other cuts his wingspan in half by only using his left. Ditto for their individual and team defense.

Giannis is a decent passer, who operates like an exceptional distributor bcz he can get to the rim in two steps. Gravity pulls defenders in, making his passing much more effective. Bagley is a poor passer and has even worse vision—without the gravity that Giannis has. Watch a game and count the number of bounce passes from Bagley or the number of two level passes. They don’t exist.

the only thing he has in come with Giannis is skin color this is up there with the “Fox can become an elite shooter like Steph” talk

This is my take also.
This is embarrassing man Giannis probably doubting his skill after he reads that.

“He can dribble”

“he has a right and left should”

“generational talent”

Literally all three statements are pure fantasy that nobody believes

As long as he doesn't teach Bags how to impersonate a law enforcement officer...
Thank you Capt. I couldn't remember what outside trouble OP got himself into but I was sure it involved the crack pipe after reading the Giannis comparisons.

Ok, if it happens great, but all I want is him to be healthy and prove himself worthy of a high lotto draft pick at this point.

Lofty comparison. Giannis was a bit raw when he came into the League, but has since developed his game - which is what Marvin will need to do in order to optimize his potential. The Greek Freak is physically stronger than M.B., another area where Bagley needs improvement. Frankly, I don’t expect we’re going to see any “MBIII vs. G.A. - Who is Better?” takes coming down the pike but I’d love to be wrong.
Both players at 19.

Bagley - 25:17 Min Points 14.9 Reb 7.6 FG% 50.4 Assists 1.0 Steals 1.0 Blocks 1.1
Giannnis- 24:38 Min Points 6.8. Reb 4.4 FG% 44.1 Assists 1.9 Steals .08 Blocks .08

This is my take also.
Dont do this to Marvin. He was drafted way too high, he was drafted before players like Luka who is top 5 in the whole league right now or Trae and JJJ who both have proved that they are above average starters at their positions. Bagley hasnt even done that. Dont put these superstar/MVP expectations on a guy that most likelt wont reach those expectations. He can become a starting level player in this league. He hasnt shown it yet but he has the tools to do it. Start with that, become a net positive starter. Dont hype a guy as a potential MVP and therefore set him up for failure

Trae, Luka, JJR and like 10 more where given the starters job so they could develop. Marvin? nope and I doubt my words of encourament will hurt him.
We've seen Marvin play quite a lot to draw some conclusions. The point is that we have a pretty big sample (college & Nba) on what Marvin is as a player and what he isnt. Suggesting that he is on a track to become an MVP level player is only putting expectations so high that when he obviously will never reach that, it will only pile on the dissapointment in him. Doncic was the fan favourite at #2, Doncic was the consensus #1 on any credible analyst but since Marvin was the pick instead of Luka, he will always carry it on his shoulders even if its not fair to him. If you stack on MVP level expectations on top of that, you are just setting up a young man to be a huge disspointment.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Taking posting history into consideration, perhaps "Bagley is the best player in the world" would have been a more apt screen name.

I wrote a long post about how these buzz words of "winning" basketball and "counting stats" are all ways to dismiss a guys production so you don't have to acknowledge anything he's done well. But you know what. Fans are gonna fan and logic will not matter. It will be a welcome relief when the team makes the playoffs so Kings fans have another team to root against, rather than making their own players the enemy.

Hope Marvin stays healthy and does well, so the team has continuity in the lineup this year and we know what we have.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I wrote a long post about how these buzz words of "winning" basketball and "counting stats" are all ways to dismiss a guys production so you don't have to acknowledge anything he's done well. But you know what. Fans are gonna fan and logic will not matter. It will be a welcome relief when the team makes the playoffs so Kings fans have another team to root against, rather than making their own players the enemy.

Hope Marvin stays healthy and does well, so the team has continuity in the lineup this year and we know what we have.
So are people really dismissing Andrew Wiggins greatness when they mention he doesn’t play winning basketball and only puts up some empty stats?

So are people really dismissing Andrew Wiggins greatness when they mention he doesn’t play winning basketball and only puts up some empty stats?
Never mentioned anyone being great.

I haven't watched enough Minnesota basketball to get a bead on all things Wiggins. But if the implication is that he puts up numbers, but his teams don't win, well then everyone on the Kings is an empty stats non winning caliber player.