OFFICIAL KingsFans league

M

MVP16

wth, u guys dont want me in the league, FINE!

U guys are bunch of !!!!!s, its just a game, so what if i win?

MVP16 said:
wth, u guys dont want me in the league, FINE!

U guys are bunch of !!!!!s, its just a game, so what if i win?
Don't let the voices of a few confuse you into thinking it's the thoughts of the majority. I've yet to see a reason to keep you out of the league, so your still on my waiting list. But I can assume since that is the case, we won't be expanding.

M

MVP16

wow, hold on wow beep beep beep (backing)

U are tellin me that there is still a chance??

as brick said before, Its more interesting to see who will take mason and who miles rather than who will pick KG over Kobe. 20 players = more thinkings, excitement and involvment in the game.

CMon dude, add few more dudes/dudets in and everythin will be MONEY

Bballkingsrock said:
Hey Jsin I was the first one the waiting list!!!! Remember?
Actually I don't have to remember, since my memory is horrible and it's in this thread, downunderking is first, you are second.

And while picking scrubs is fun, 20 people is alot and things get REAL thin at that point. I think 12 is a good number, I would be willing to go to 14. But from the sounds of it, everyone else wants to stay at 12.

That would be slightly more subtle. Anyhow, as far as the fantasy league goes, 14 teams wouldnt be too bad, but extending it farther then that is going to be really tedious. Especially if we only do updates once per week again.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
C Diddy said:

That would be slightly more subtle. Anyhow, as far as the fantasy league goes, 14 teams wouldnt be too bad, but extending it farther then that is going to be really tedious. Especially if we only do updates once per week again.
Por qua?

Actually in deep leagues the weekly format works better because in a daily I-have-no-life league every single player you pick is going to play on a regular basis and it puts a lot of stress on the players at the end of the deep drafts. In a weekly, those deep picks are true bench players, there to fill in for injuries or provide a boost in a particular category dependin on your opponent.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
Actually in deep leagues the weekly format works better because in a daily I-have-no-life league every single player you pick is going to play on a regular basis and it puts a lot of stress on the players at the end of the deep drafts.
How do the players know you're playing them all the time?

Brick,

Choosing who to start between Jamal Sampson and Paul Shirley isn't fun. And thats what we are going to be reduced to if we up it to 20 teams, as someone else suggested. When your roster has 7 8-12 guys on it, weekly updates aren't fun. Also, you dont need to be a "I-have-no-life" to be succesful in the daily update setting. You can set each day's lineups once a week and the system will remember who you selected to start or bench that day.

Bricklayer

C Diddy said:
Brick,

Choosing who to start between Jamal Sampson and Paul Shirley isn't fun. And thats what we are going to be reduced to if we up it to 20 teams, as someone else suggested. When your roster has 7 8-12 guys on it, weekly updates aren't fun. Also, you dont need to be a "I-have-no-life" to be succesful in the daily update setting. You can set each day's lineups once a week and the system will remember who you selected to start or bench that day.
I think you're missing the point. Jamal Sampson or Paul Shirley do NOT start even in a 20 team league unless you have 15 starting positions. And in a weekly league, they rarely even play unless something goes amiss. They are gambles to take on your bench.

There are 360 roster spots int he NBA this year. Even in a 20 team league, if there are 12 starting spots that's only 240 players, or roughly the Top 2/3 of the league, or put another way, every team's Top 8 players. What it does is bring Darius Songaila into play, not the 12th men. Then add in 2-3 bench guys who are true bench guys in a weekly -- in a daily they still regularly play, ina weekly they do not.

And there is no comaprison about the level of micromanaging between a daily or a weekly. In a daily you first have to make many times the moves every week as your daily lineup changes...well, daily. You can make them ahead of time once a week if you like, but you still have to make many times the moves. And you absolutely have to sit on every nightly boxscore in a daily as well, since an injury to any player at any time costs you games vs. a more alert opponent. There is no rest. Its a pain in the ***.

Last edited:
meh i view it as more competitive. its boring if you just set your lineup and then do nothing for a whole damn week, after you tumulously spent time drafting the exact players.

Bricklayer

Grobar said:
meh i view it as more competitive. its boring if you just set your lineup and then do nothing for a whole damn week, after you tumulously spent time drafting the exact players.
It likely is more competitive. It is also work, rather than play at a certain point. The competition is at least as much about who's got more spare time to waste rather than who's got the acumen. Particularly in deep leagues, keeping track of the health and PT of every player in the NBA all season long on a daily basis is neither practical nor fun.

It can work in small/shallow leagues. But then again my mom can draft a decent team if she doesn't have to know anybody but the starters around the league.

And I'm keeping it at weekly, our league's have shown daily leagues seperate into two groups, those who have the time to check every day, and those who don't. Weekly is more stratigic, more knowledge, more lazy.

Bricklayer said:
It likely is more competitive. It is also work, rather than play at a certain point. The competition is at least as much about who's got more spare time to waste rather than who's got the acumen. Particularly in deep leagues, keeping track of the health and PT of every player in the NBA all season long on a daily basis is neither practical nor fun.

It can work in small/shallow leagues. But then again my mom can draft a decent team if she doesn't have to know anybody but the starters around the league.
thats a good point. i've never been in a leauge with more then 10 teams, so i guess i dont have much experience to argue on. i usually just set my lineup for the whole week, then pop in and out to check news, and see if anybody got injured or so... if its set up weekly, it gets boring because you basically just have to set your starters, see the score, and do it all over again.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
JSin said:
And I'm keeping it at weekly, our league's have shown daily leagues seperate into two groups, those who have the time to check every day, and those who don't. Weekly is more stratigic, more knowledge, more lazy.
Luck is a much more important factor in weekly leagues than your so-called "strategy." The only strategy comes into play when you look to see which players are playing the most games that week, or who's on a hot streak, and plug them in. Once your roster is set for the week, it's all luck: you hope that the player hits for his averages. You hope that the player doesn't get injured, or suspended. If you had Stojakovic, for example, in your lineup last year during X-mas week, and you lost him for a game because of his suspension, and those 25 points and 4 three-pointers ended up costing you the week, that's bad luck; there's no strategy involved. And don't say it never happens... there's no way to anticipate that Stojakovic is going to bump a referee and get himself suspended. It's just not something he usually does.

At least in a daily league, you have the freedom to react, if you choose. I don't think it's cool to have to be penalized for something either that happens to the player or that the player does that you couldn't possibly predict. I mean, if you prefer weekly leagues over daily leagues for whatever reason (and really, disparity between some managers having more free time than others is the most legitimate one I've yet to hear), that's great, but don't try to pass it off as there being more "skill" or "strategy" involved, because there really, really isn't.

As I previously alluded to, I personally much prefer daily leagues, not because I have more free time (especially not this season, since I'm going to be underway for most of the season, and I work eighteen-hour days at sea), but because there are too many things that can happen outside of the manager's control, and I like having the freedom to choose to react to it.