Official Draft thread (merged)

Official Draft thread

So with the season over, time to turn to the NBA draft. Any suggestions who the Kings should pick? Personally, I would say Charlie Villanueva/Hakim Warrick/Julius Hodge but the first 2 players would most likely be drafted.

Stoudamire-

Nope. Don't wanna touch that guy. If we need a 6'1" SG with a me first attitude, let's just keep Cat... At least he's proven that he can play in this league. I'd rather take a flyer on Garcia if he drops, however unlikely that is to actually happen.

I was thinking where I should post this, so I decided this is as good a plce as any ;)

I was browsing through hoopshype the other day and I cam across the names of players that will work out with us.

Marquin Chandler, SF, 6-7, Senior from San Jose State
Quemont Greer, SF, 6-7, Senior from DePaul
Ed McCants, PG, 6-3, Senior from Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Filiberto Rivera, PG, 6-2, Senior from Texas-El Paso

Here is the link http://www.hoopshype.com/workouts.htm
Does anyone find it interesting that we are checking out SF and PG types?????? Should we read too much into this??????

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Čarolija said:
I was thinking where I should post this, so I decided this is as good a plce as any ;)

I was browsing through hoopshype the other day and I cam across the names of players that will work out with us.

Marquin Chandler, SF, 6-7, Senior from San Jose State
Quemont Greer, SF, 6-7, Senior from DePaul
Ed McCants, PG, 6-3, Senior from Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Filiberto Rivera, PG, 6-2, Senior from Texas-El Paso

Here is the link http://www.hoopshype.com/workouts.htm
Does anyone find it interesting that we are checking out SF and PG types?????? Should we read too much into this??????
I doubt it this soon unless Geoff has been thinking so far ahead he knew what he wanted to do months ahead of actually doing it. But hey, its TDOS, so that's kind of what we are susposed to do -- look for the tiniest cluesdraw and jump to conclusions. :)

Bricklayer

As an aside, the inclusion of Greer in that list almost annoys me -- I mean, yet another 6'7" tweener forward? Think a second round pick at best.

Dimer10 said:
what about Channing Frye or Salim Stoudamire?
Much as I disdain the Univ. of Arizona, I like the Channing Frye idea. He's a big guy with good athleticism, solid passing abilities, and a solid outside jumper. Wonder if he'll be available so "late" in the first round? If so, I think the Kings would be wise to grab a guy like that *if* they can unload some of their other PFs in trades and what not.

Bricklayer

**KInGs^RoYalTy** said:
I really like Hakim Warrick, he's one of the most athletic guys in the whole draft.
Picking him up, or maybe Joey Graham (more solid, but less upside) would definitely add a nice super-athletic rebounding change of pace to behind Peja (if indeed he is back).

Like Mo if he decided to return, but he's only 6'5" and that screams OG more than SF. But kind of cool to have him around as a great athletic OG and have a Warrick or Graham around as a great athletic SF. Could put together a true change of pace athletic bench.

Who should we draft? Andrew Bogut, a passing big man a la Webber and Divac. A perfect fit for our system. I wonder if he'll be available by the time we pick?

it seems like the kings never really get anyone worth getting hyped over in the draft. Well for that matter, they probably wont for a long time, as long as they over achieve in the regular season and struggle in the playoffs. So i wish the kings could get bogut or may or even felton for that matter, but i know they will probably end up drafting some guy that is just under everyone but petrie's radar

Bricklayer

captain bill said:
Who should we draft? Andrew Bogut, a passing big man a la Webber and Divac. A perfect fit for our system. I wonder if he'll be available by the time we pick?
well Bogut is kind of the consensus #1 overall, so we likely have no shot a him unless we trade up.

my thought is this:
get a hard playing backup to Peja.
Even though Williamson can deff play the 3 spot, i don't think he is hte answer for the kings. Also, i think the best case scenario would be to trade mobley and corliss for a few guards and a big man to add to our depth (because i think Evans/Kevin are the answer at 2, not Mobley).

id also like to move up in the draft to grab an even better player, but who knows if tahts possible, plausible, or worthwhile

Bricklayer said:
well Bogut is kind of the consensus #1 overall, so we likely have no shot a him unless we trade up.
psst...hey, bricklayer.

its called SARCASM.

and hey, the last "consensus #1" (aaron rodgers) fell to 24th, so maybe no other teams in the nba are interested in a great center with passing skills. i mean, its not THAT big a deal to have a dominant center.

captain bill said:
psst...hey, bricklayer.

its called SARCASM.

and hey, the last "consensus #1" (aaron rodgers) fell to 24th, so maybe no other teams in the nba are interested in a great center with passing skills. i mean, its not THAT big a deal to have a dominant center.
Bogut has some limitations for NBA game, but I have to assume that all the lottery teams have scouted him and looked into his background. The dude is product of Australian sports academy system. That's where they "breed" kids for success and produce some of the toughest competitors in the world. Combined with how he carried his so-so team to the tournament I don't see him falling out of top 3.

Actually, my recurring nightmare is that Lakers trade up to get him. Urgh!

Hakim Warrick

some people have mentioned him being a possible first round draft for the kings, thought i'd give you guys the report from espn-insider.

6. Hakim Warrick, Syracuse
The line: 6-8, 218, Senior
The Good: I've gotten more e-mail about Warrick than any other prospect in the draft. Most question why someone with such great numbers and incredible athletic ability could be rated this low. He's improved in almost every aspect of his game this year. He added a nice mid-range jumper. He put on some weight and found ways to score down low. He's very quick, posing matchup problems at both small forward and power forward. If he was two or three inches taller, 30 pounds heavier and blocked some shots he'd be the No. 1 pick in the draft. But he isn't. Instead, he's a tweener who proved in the NCAA Tournament's first round that his game still has serious holes. His 10 turnovers killed Syracuse in the tournament, as he seemed unable to handle Vermont's physical double teams. He's excelled at Syracuse because of his unbelievable leaping ability and fantastic work ethic. On the right team in the pros, someone like the Suns, he could be very good. On a team that requires its four to play tough physical defense and score consistently on the block, he'd fizzle. His workouts and measurements will be key for Warrick. If he measures taller than expected, gets on a great weight-training program before the workouts and shows a better handle and jump shot, his stock will rise. If he measures closer to 6-foot-7 and doesn't show a go-to skill or two, he'll slip. That puts him anywhere between the late lottery and late first round. Ask us again in two months.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We have an ongoing thread about possible draft options, so I'm going to merge this thread into that one...

Thanks for finding the info!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
captain bill said:
psst...hey, bricklayer.

its called SARCASM.

psst...hey, captain bill.

You're assuming people know you well enough to realize you know a lot about draft picks, favorites, etc. which isn't the case.

It's only sarcasm if your audience is fully aware of the sarcastic implication. In this case, captain, you missed the boat.

;)

It may be possible to glean an idea of GP's overall offseason intentions by seeing who he drafts in the first round (or if he tries to trade up). If he drafts a high schooler/project then I think we can surmise that he sees nothing in the draft we can obtain or use right away...business as usual; fill in the weak areas via trade or FA. But if he is able to get someone on board who has the skills (obviously not the experience, unless you count major college ball experience) to step in and be productive right away then perhaps that may lead to a more complete turnover on the team and a serious attempt to get younger and more athletic. Orrrrrr...it may not mean anything at all except that that was the best player available. Anyway, I think GP has goals at this point but no surefire way of obtaining them since so much depends on the decisions of others whom he has no control.

Bricklayer said:
Oh yeah! Thats just what we need!! Seriously, if there was anyway we could trade up for the number one pick we should be all over that. Bogut is everything we need. A Big shotblocking big man who gets lots of rebounds, can score in the low post, and most importantly for our system, he is a great passer. Seriously, thats all we need from a big man.

I don't know what kind of trade we'd have to pull... but if we could land Bogut and not have to give up Bibby, Peja or Brad that would be awesome

Last edited:
Jerryaki said:
some people have mentioned him being a possible first round draft for the kings, thought i'd give you guys the report from espn-insider.

6. Hakim Warrick, Syracuse
The line: 6-8, 218, Senior
The Good: I've gotten more e-mail about Warrick than any other prospect in the draft. Most question why someone with such great numbers and incredible athletic ability could be rated this low. He's improved in almost every aspect of his game this year. He added a nice mid-range jumper. He put on some weight and found ways to score down low. He's very quick, posing matchup problems at both small forward and power forward. If he was two or three inches taller, 30 pounds heavier and blocked some shots he'd be the No. 1 pick in the draft. But he isn't. Instead, he's a tweener who proved in the NCAA Tournament's first round that his game still has serious holes. His 10 turnovers killed Syracuse in the tournament, as he seemed unable to handle Vermont's physical double teams. He's excelled at Syracuse because of his unbelievable leaping ability and fantastic work ethic. On the right team in the pros, someone like the Suns, he could be very good. On a team that requires its four to play tough physical defense and score consistently on the block, he'd fizzle. His workouts and measurements will be key for Warrick. If he measures taller than expected, gets on a great weight-training program before the workouts and shows a better handle and jump shot, his stock will rise. If he measures closer to 6-foot-7 and doesn't show a go-to skill or two, he'll slip. That puts him anywhere between the late lottery and late first round. Ask us again in two months.
Ditto.. I have been hyping this guy for a whilke, but people seem to think he wont fall as low as us?

I think he might, or if he does not than we could trade up a few spaces, no?