Now that we know the draft order, who do we draft? (New thread)

with the Lakers trade of Russell they are 95% sure of taking a PG (Ball or Fox).

This should mean that the chances are pretty good of getting the PG not taken by the Lakers unless the Suns make a trade soon to get rid of Bledsoe

EDIT: Woj just said Ball is the pick at number 2. Looks like the Suns are the only team in the way for Fox.

Last edited:
FWIW I don't think Phoenix takes Fox because they already have a slight of frame Kentucky PG in T. Ulis. Grant just speculated that he has heard Boston could pick Isaac at #3.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
FWIW I don't think Phoenix takes Fox because they already have a slight of frame Kentucky PG in T. Ulis. Grant just speculated that he has heard Boston could pick Isaac at #3.
I only listened to Grant for a bit today but what I heard was him saying that Ainge surprised everyone last year by taking Jaylen Brown. That he doesn't care what anyone thinks and will take whoever he likes. And "don't be surprised if he takes Isaac at 3"

It didn't sound like Grant had any inside info.

But he's right, it wouldn't surprise me.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I only listened to Grant for a bit today but what I heard was him saying that Ainge surprised everyone last year by taking Jaylen Brown. That he doesn't care what anyone thinks and will take whoever he likes. And "don't be surprised if he takes Isaac at 3"

It didn't sound like Grant had any inside info.

But he's right, it wouldn't surprise me.
I applaud you for listening to Grant. That said, he is talking out of both sides of his mouth, it's Tatum or Jackson at 3 for Boston IMO.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I applaud you for listening to Grant. That said, he is talking out of both sides of his mouth, it's Tatum or Jackson at 3 for Boston IMO.
I don't listen to Grant a ton these days but with the draft coming up I did. He sounds like he got all his opinions on guys by reading or listening to other people rather than actually watching them.

But he is right that Ainge will go against consensus and take his guy. Of course, do has Vlade. Even more so in Divac's case.

The reality is this all comes down to player assessment. The draft order time and time again has proven to be worthless. The idea that the top 5 guys are all pretty much on the same level is almost guaranteed to be proven false. One or 2 of those guys might be stars...which one? Pick wisely.

I have read this forum happily for ten years (thank you Baja, VF and Capt. Fac.)
I am an old guy who's been watching NBA for 50 years. It is now very difficult to transfer a 19 year old kid into who he might become a great player. I look at someone who seems to see the court before others grasp it. Larry Bird, slow footed, would be an extreme example. Do they have the gift to be .3-.5 seconds ahead of everyone to see what it is unfolding? I think Ball may have it. Court awareness, and the mentally to slow down and adjust, is a very unique quality.
I could give several other examples: but will now thank the gifted folks on this forum.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love Fox and Bell as picks. Kennard is being underrated but he makes no sense for the Kings.

I think it's Markkanen or Collins.
I can see the logic of pairing Fox and Kennard due to the latter's shooting ability making up for the former's lacklustre shooting ability, but it seems the guy doing this mock has either forgot that we have Buddy or doesn't rate Buddy as highly as Kennard.

I tend to agree that if we go PG at five, then Markkanen or Collins makes sense at ten. Though I could also see us targeting a small forward like Justin Jackson or OG if we felt the need to go for need over BPA.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see the logic of pairing Fox and Kennard due to the latter's shooting ability making up for the former's lacklustre shooting ability, but it seems the guy doing this mock has either forgot that we have Buddy or doesn't rate Buddy as highly as Kennard.

I tend to agree that if we go PG at five, then Markkanen or Collins makes sense at ten. Though I could also see us targeting a small forward like Justin Jackson or OG if we felt the need to go for need over BPA.
I'd love for the Kings to come out of this draft with a PG and SF at the #5 and #10 picks. Fox and Isaac or Tatum, Smith and Jackson, Tatum or Isaac. That'd be fantastic. But the reality is that even if this offseason marks the Kings transitioning to being a good team, it's going to take a couple years. No need to fill out the roster perfectly now.

Uh boston straight up asked isaac if he did drugs
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/06/jonathan_isaac_shares_blunt_qu.html

Fultz, ball, tatum, jackson, fox
Isaac, *trade collins, smith, markkamen, monk

Fox and monk as i predicted a long time ago

When I predicted Monk at 9
http://kingsfans.com/threads/im-sorry-vlade.67320/page-3#post-1315269

When I predicted Fox at 5
http://kingsfans.com/threads/now-th...e-draft-new-thread.67532/page-12#post-1323748

Plus with Joeger saying they don't worry about mock drafts they take who they want.

Last edited:
The New York Post reported that Minny was looking at Markannen and Smith. That would be big for me as a Collins fan

6.Magic - Vuc/Biyombo
7.Wolves - KAT
8.Porzingis/Hernangomez
9.Nerlens Noel

Wolves are the team I most fear not being content at center if they viewed KAT as a PF.

I'm seeing more sites having Monk at 10. Some with Fox at 5 and Monk at 10.
Granted mocks can mean absolutely nothing. however, if Monk is free falling a bit and is at 10, I would have a hard time not taking him regardless of our guard abundance and greater needs.
Maybe I'm missing something with Monk, but he is a very exciting player to watch.

Apparently the Wolves and Mavs may had talks to swap 7/Rubio with 9/Matthews, which not only means Wolves might be amenable to trading that pick down but maybe Rubio can still be acquired for cheap

I'm seeing more sites having Monk at 10. Some with Fox at 5 and Monk at 10.
Granted mocks can mean absolutely nothing. however, if Monk is free falling a bit and is at 10, I would have a hard time not taking him regardless of our guard abundance and greater needs.
Maybe I'm missing something with Monk, but he is a very exciting player to watch.
No you aren't. I think pretty much everyone agrees he's going to be a damn good scorer/shooter/transition guy at the next level, but are worried about his height playing the 2 guard. If he can transition to PG, I think he definitely has Dame Lillard type of upside. If not, he's more in the vein of Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford, both of whom are very valuable players. I want Collins at 10, but I wouldn't be upset pairing Fox and Monk again. We know they're awesome together on the floor and we'd have an absolutely explosive back-court with Fox/Buddy/Monk.