NFL 2023-2024 Thread

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Look at Shanahan's record when Jimmy and Brock aren't under center. It ain't pretty. He's not a miracle worker with QBs. He was just able to get more out of Jimmy G than anyone else.
Look at the 49ers rosters when he was starting anyone besides Jim. We cannot pretend those first-year teams were winning a whole lot even with competent QBs.

Look at the 49ers rosters when he was starting anyone besides Jim. We cannot pretend those first-year teams were winning a whole lot even with competent QBs.
The Niners were 1-10 in 2017. Jimmy started the last 5 games and they went 5-0.

Next season Jimmy G is hurt and they go 4-12.

Next season he's healthy and they go to the SB.

Next season he only starts 6 games with a 3-3 record and they finish 6-10.

Next season he's healthy and they make it to the championship game.

It always looked pretty cut and dry to me. Yeah Mullins, Beathard and Hoyer aren't that good but the Niners were picking at the top of the draft when Jimmy was hurt and the bottom of the first round when he was healthy. I'm not confident that some second rate backup can come in and just run Shanny's scheme and be successful in it. The most difficult position to fill is a good QB. You don't throw that away to ensure you can keep playmakers and defensive standouts. You keep the QB and then rotate the rest of the players around him. Young and talented WRs, RBs, DEs, LBs etc can be had all over every draft but talented QBs are few and far between.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The Niners were 1-10 in 2017. Jimmy started the last 5 games and they went 5-0.

Next season Jimmy G is hurt and they go 4-12.

Next season he's healthy and they go to the SB.

Next season he only starts 6 games with a 3-3 record and they finish 6-10.

Next season he's healthy and they make it to the championship game.

It always looked pretty cut and dry to me. Yeah Mullins, Beathard and Hoyer aren't that good but the Niners were picking at the top of the draft when Jimmy was hurt and the bottom of the first round when he was healthy. I'm not confident that some second rate backup can come in and just run Shanny's scheme and be successful in it. The most difficult position to fill is a good QB. You don't throw that away to ensure you can keep playmakers and defensive standouts. You keep the QB and then rotate the rest of the players around him. Young and talented WRs, RBs, DEs, LBs etc can be had all over every draft but talented QBs are few and far between.
While Jimmy wasn't great, he was good for most of what the 49ers needed to at least be competitive. Brock brings a lot more of the missing pieces Jimmy didn't have and is still only a couple years into his NFL career.

You can't just throw anyone in there and expect miracles (per ESP47's post, for example). They have to be at least good, with at least certain skills, to make it work. Casting aside Brock to hope to find someone good enough to run this team in its prime years (at a bargain basement price) is an invitation to disaster for the team. Who will you find that's cheap that can do what Brock did?

You keep Brock and you hope to make the other pieces work as well as you can to stay at the top for the next few years.

While Jimmy wasn't great, he was good for most of what the 49ers needed to at least be competitive. Brock brings a lot more of the missing pieces Jimmy didn't have and is still only a couple years into his NFL career.

You can't just throw anyone in there and expect miracles (per ESP47's post, for example). They have to be at least good, with at least certain skills, to make it work. Casting aside Brock to hope to find someone good enough to run this team in its prime years (at a bargain basement price) is an invitation to disaster for the team. Who will you find that's cheap that can do what Brock did?

You keep Brock and you hope to make the other pieces work as well as you can to stay at the top for the next few years.
Do the 49ers pay purdy Goff money? Or Jalen hurts? Is there a number that gives you pause? ………eh….maybe we don’t pay you that much…..

As I posted earlier, considering the results shanny had with both Jimmy and purdy, the 49ers find a QB in between those 2 guys. Then we can have all the weapons we have now while not paying the QB a mint. There are plenty of middle of the road QB’s who can do what both Jimmy and purdy do.

As I posted earlier, considering the results shanny had with both Jimmy and purdy, the 49ers find a QB in between those 2 guys. Then we can have all the weapons we have now while not paying the QB a mint. There are plenty of middle of the road QB’s who can do what both Jimmy and purdy do.
I’m sure if Shanny and Lynch truly believe almost any mid QB can effectively run the offense provided the same quality of skill players then they won’t offer Purdy a contract that matches his production when the time comes. I don’t think they believe that though.

I think it’s possible Kyle used to believe he could plug any QB into his system and team until the start of the 2022 season when he thought he could just anoint Trey but even before injury it was trending that he was going to go crawling back to Jimmy. The NFC Championship game that year cemented that, no..not any mid QB that knows the system and has the reps in practice can perform.

Jimmy used to be OK. Considering all the time he missed with injury. There is plenty of data of how the Niners did when he wasn’t available until Brock took the reins and it wasn’t good at all. Yet, the Niners could never just plug somebody in until Brock.

I can’t think of a lot of QB’s who can do what Brock did or even Jimmy in 2019 did. The ones I can think of are getting PAID. Except Brock. Jimmy was paid handsomely for his two very good seasons. Brock was a lot better this last season than Jimmy was in 2019 as well.

If you want to credit a system and skill players then having a QB who can run a system and get the ball to skill players is a skill in and of itself that only highly paid QB’s seem to possess.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Yes, let's just "find" a QB to fit our system as well as or better than Brock that will work for peanuts. Easy-peasy! You look under that rock over there, and I'll just check the corners of the closet over here in case one has been hiding in there for a while.

You need to pay for performance. And Brock has generally performed. We went to OT in the Super Bowl. You can't get much closer than that to winning it all.

Do the 49ers pay purdy Goff money? Or Jalen hurts? Is there a number that gives you pause? ………eh….maybe we don’t pay you that much…..
Yes, you pay him Goff money. Because the chance you find someone as good as Purdy, is very very slim. It's damn hard to put up a top 5 QB season in the NFL. Could easily argue he had the best year of any QB last year, in his first full season as a starter. Even if you wanted to not put full stock into that, I don't think you could slide him like past QB 12 in the NFL. That's very hard to find.

You could pray another generational Mahomes-type talent falls into your lap, but that doesn't seem like a very successful way to go.