NFL 2020-21 Season

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Solomon Thomas to the Raiders.

What a storied career. Forced to draft the inferior lineman instead of Myles Garrett because Kaepernick and Chip Kelley won a meaningless game on a last minute drive + 2pt conversion against Jeff Fisher.

Drafted instead of my guy Deshaun Watson. (Or Mahomes, but I’m not going to pretend I wanted him at the time. I was all about the Watson Wagon though)

Then was wholly unimpressive his entire run.

I wish him luck. Great guy. But damn, I wish Kaep lost that game and we got to take Garrett.
I really wanted Watson that year too and didn't really care for Solomon Thomas but I was thrilled when we traded up to nab Reuben Foster at the end of the first round so I don't have anything to brag about. And who knows, maybe Watson ends up in San Francisco anyway? Best of luck to Solly in Vegas. That was a big miss for Lynch and Shanahan with their first Niners draft pick but they did redeem themselves by nabbing Kittle in the 5th round that year.

I really wanted Watson that year too and didn't really care for Solomon Thomas but I was thrilled when we traded up to nab Reuben Foster at the end of the first round so I don't have anything to brag about. And who knows, maybe Watson ends up in San Francisco anyway? Best of luck to Solly in Vegas. That was a big miss for Lynch and Shanahan with their first Niners draft pick but they did redeem themselves by nabbing Kittle in the 5th round that year.
That trade moving back from 2nd to 3rd was so promising too. Kind of reminds me of Vlade getting Bogdan and then completely whiffing on the rest of the 1st round.

I'm not the best at scouting anything, let alone football but I watched a decent amount of Solomon tape in college and was dumbfounded as to why he was regarded so highly. He didn't look like he was good at anything to me and we found that out during his career here.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
That trade moving back from 2nd to 3rd was so promising too. Kind of reminds me of Vlade getting Bogdan and then completely whiffing on the rest of the 1st round.

I'm not the best at scouting anything, let alone football but I watched a decent amount of Solomon tape in college and was dumbfounded as to why he was regarded so highly. He didn't look like he was good at anything to me and we found that out during his career here.
I watch no college ball, but remember thinking it was telling when the draft panel/hype crew who even scream about Day 3 picks had next to nothing to say about him. Lol

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
He's at 20 allegations right now? I don't think it's the former. One of those things where once the first allegation comes out the floodgates open because most offenders are not one time offenders. (why the Luke allegations gave me a lot of pause when nobody else came out)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
He's at 20 allegations right now? I don't think it's the former. One of those things where once the first allegation comes out the floodgates open because most offenders are not one time offenders. (why the Luke allegations gave me a lot of pause when nobody else came out)
It’s all just seems slightly off to me. Between the lawyer’s original statement, no one knowing / hearing anything at all ever until now, the lawyer being Cal McNair’s friend/neighbor...

Maybe Deshaun’s actually a monster and I’m naïve. But idk... you’d think there’d be SOMETHING before the last few days if he was such a rampant serial abuser.

hrdboild

Staff member
Two things seem suspicious about this situation:

(1) All of these cases are going through one lawyer, Tony Buzbee, who seems to be courting publicity for himself either instead of or in addition to following through with actual legal proceedings. He may or may not have direct ties to the Houston Texans organization but he apparently did pay for multiple billboards out of his own pocket urging the team to draft Johnny Manziel so he's got fairly significant personal investment in the team as a fan at least.

(2) Nothing has been filed with the Houston police department yet.

I'm not going to speculate though. The type of allegations being made are difficult to prove which is probably why so much effort is being made to establish a pattern of behavior and essentially find Watson guilty in the court of public opinion. If Watson settles out of court to prevent the cases from dragging on and disrupting his season he's going to look guilty. Certainly it's going to be hard for any team to trade for him right now if the public believes he's guilty, however good he is on the field. I wouldn't want him on the 49ers if what he's being accused of is true. Nothing to do really but wait and watch. Based on past history, people have a fairly short memory when it comes to professional athletes and accusations of sexual misconduct. But the political climate now is different than what it has been so who knows?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Even after all the signings, with the restructures the Niners still have 20,000,000 in cap space.

Did the restructuring of guys like Westburg and Ford just push the problems down the line? To go from having limited room, to making some pretty big resignings and still having all that room seems too good to be true.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Apparently Deshaun Watson really really like sexually harassing masseuses or some random lawyer dude found like a 100 women to lie about him assaulting them for some reason

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Niners bringing everyone back minus Uncle Sherm.

K’waun and Tartt both return.

I really hope they draft a QB. It’s going to be a rude awakening when Jimmy isn’t good enough (or healthy enoygh) to be a contender with only a good defense instead of the elite 2019 w/ Buckner.

hrdboild

Staff member
With this front office, I wouldn't assume Jimmy is gone yet. They might be jumping up only to trade down for a better package. They might be taking the OT from Oregon to continue stacking the O-Line. Maybe they're acquiring a prize asset for a big trade that they've already been working on? Or they might have a QB they want to take there but are they really going to enter next season with Super Bowl hopes and a rookie QB? I can't read what they're planning here.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Cool. Trade Jimmy and sign Alex then.

With all the assets just sold off, if you can make some back I say go for it.
Oh, believe me, I would prefer this as well. I've always liked Alex Smith. He's not the best in the world or anything, but I think he was underappreciated at the time.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
With this front office, I wouldn't assume Jimmy is gone yet. They might be jumping up only to trade down for a better package. They might be taking the OT from Oregon to continue stacking the O-Line. Maybe they're acquiring a prize asset for a big trade that they've already been working on? Or they might have a QB they want to take there but are they really going to enter next season with Super Bowl hopes and a rookie QB? I can't read what they're planning here.
Some good info here. Apparently teams are interested in Jimmy, and they are definitely looking at QB with the pick.

hrdboild

Staff member
Some good info here. Apparently teams are interested in Jimmy, and they are definitely looking at QB with the pick.

Yeah I think they like to remain flexible. That decision to trade Buckner and then use the pick on another DT for instance was what allowed us to pay Armstead and add another young asset without committing all of the cap space on the d-line. They also quickly pivoted away from Kwon Alexander when Dre Greenlaw and Fred Warner started looking like Pro Bowl quality backs. Jimmy is on the market if someone really wants him but they're not going to trade him without a good reason. Drafting a QB to groom behind him and/or as injury insurance for a guy who looks like he's chronically injured makes a lot of sense.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Seeing a lot of Mac Jones speculation. I don’t think they moved up so far for Mac Jones.
Out of all the “top” QB prospects, Mac Jones was probably the one we could have gotten where our pick originally was. This feels like a pick whoever’s left between Fields and Wilson sorta move.