NFL 2020-21 Season

Today reminded me of the Niners game against the Vikings in the playoffs last year. Seemed like nearly every play was a run or a 1 yard pass with a huge YAC afterward. No need to do anything else if the opposing team can't stop it.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Today reminded me of the Niners game against the Vikings in the playoffs last year. Seemed like nearly every play was a run or a 1 yard pass with a huge YAC afterward. No need to do anything else if the opposing team can't stop it.
play to your QBs strengths. But imagine Shanahan’s playbook if there was even a threat of a consistent long ball.

play to your QBs strengths. But imagine Shanahan’s playbook if there was even a threat of a consistent long ball.
Oops I meant the Green Bay playoff game where he only had to throw 8 times.

He used to be really good at those 15 yard intermediate crossing routes but for whatever reason he's regressed at it since his first year with the team.

49ers are too banged up for the Seahawks this week......I thought the same thing against the Rams -but losing Wilson Jr was a big blow. There's a sizable gap between Wilson and Hasty/Mckinnon. Mckinnon especially has been a disappointment all season. He looks like someone snakebit when running, afraid of injury.....cant blame him with 2 season ending leg injuries back to back. But I dont see the supposed high end quickness that maybe he had more of with the Vikings. Its really gonna be on Jimmy Garoppolo, but we know what happens when expecting too much from him. Can the 49ers cornerbacks reproduce a game like against the Rams? Metcalf and Lockett are the best receiving duo in the NFL this year and major reason for Wilson best career stats so far..

I am a big Aiyuk fan. Get him out there on seam routes and let him fly - strong top-end pace. Just hope he stays away from injury.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I actually disagree about both RBs. I’ll admit the last couple weeks McKinnon has struggled in his few attempts (apparently he’s fighting “tired legs”) but looked good the first few weeks. Makes sense for a guy who missed two whole seasons to fatigue out, especially with no offseason to tune him up into shape. It was straight into the deep end.

Hasty is also pretty impressive with Romo even giving him a Marshawn Lynch comparison. He’ll show what he can do with a full workload, especially against a bad defense. The only thing that will keep him in check is potential gameplan if Seattle jumps to a huge lead in quick fashion and the Niners are forced to throw all the time.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
sure the several years of abject misery as Trent Baalke floundered around to save his job sucked but I feel much better about the Niners with the Shanny-Lynch Regime than I probably ever would have if Harbaugh was still somehow the coach.