New Head Coach options

dude12

Hall of Famer
Assuming Walton is fired at the end of the season, who is out there who could be good options.

I’m not opposed to anyone like Thibs or Nate McMillan who may have been fired but they tend to win in previous places. I mean, Thibs has turned the Knicks around a bit. We need a guy like that or a guy like Nick Nurse who gets his shot and then flourishes.

Off the top of my head, Becky Hammond. Anyone else?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I'm really starting to feel like he's going to be here next season. There doesn't seem to be any sort of get up an go with this franchise right now. Fox and Barnes are out, yet still no time for your rookies and young players until down 50 while letting Walton do Walton things? Nah, this is a ghost ship right now. Maybe Vivek is broke like the Maloofs because it sure smells the same. Monte poked his head out from under the rock to placate win now and his coach by not changing the direction under him and now back to ghostsville with him.

I am hoping it's a top assistant who is not a household name. I do not want a retread.

Something like what Arizona just did with Tommy Lloyd. I think there are several top assistants that are routinely floated around and everyone loses their mind when they get passed over. I think that happened with one of the earliest vacancies this season? I would be disappointed if Monte didn't come in with a short list when he interviewed last season and the plans aren't already in motion. I think they made the decision to a) give Walton a chance and b) try to not resort to an interim situation they couldn't get out of. I could be wrong but no GM is going to come to a new gig without being able to pick a coach. I think Monte just knew this year was going to be rough either way and to give the new guy a chance to succeed there was no reason to be hasty.

Also I don't see any way Walton is here next year. Not after some of the L's that have been hung on us the last 2-3 weeks. Not after Utah.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
preferably it will be someone who has had lots of experience as an assistant head coach for a winning organization and is waiting in the wings for their opportunity, like a Mike Malone or another option is finding a Brad Stevens basketball mind that is willing to leave college for the pros somewhere

David Vanterpool is the assistant coach I was thinking of that was with the Blazers and Minnesota that many players are eager to see get his shot.

There's another David with an interesting name: David Adelman. Assistant to Malone in Denver. Could right two wrongs there.

I do not think either has any ties to anyone presently in our FO though Vanterpool interviewed with the Rockets shortly after McNair left.

I reckon giving Kenny Atkinson a shot would be good he developed lots of guys in the Nets and made guys who are on the brink of being out of the NBA look like NBA players.

Joe Harris (out of the NBA basically before Kenny came), Spencer Dimwiddie (G-Leaguer before he came to Kenny) become elite roll players, Hollis Jefferson (basically close to being out of the NBA now) become a serviceable starter playing him at PF (he's a SF body, LeVert started to blossom and Russell had the best year he will probably ever have with him and these guys made the NBA playoffs 42-40 (yes in the East).

The 2018-2019 roster they had looking at it was pretty bad and he got them to the playoffs, the prior two seasons were basically G-League type squads who played hard for him (where the development started for Harris/Dimwiddie) but no talent. I have no idea what happened the first year they got Kyrie and Durrant was injured but.

David Vanterpool is the assistant coach I was thinking of that was with the Blazers and Minnesota that many players are eager to see get his shot.

There's another David with an interesting name: David Adelman. Assistant to Malone in Denver. Could right two wrongs there.

I do not think either has any ties to anyone presently in our FO though Vanterpool interviewed with the Rockets shortly after McNair left.
Oh my god is Adelmans son really Mike Malones assistant?! Hahaha

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Update: one simple google search bursted my bubble of excitement about finding out Ricks son is an assistant in Denver:

https://usatodayhss.com/2016/son-of...cist-rant-during-halftime-of-portland-jv-game
So, for those who just read the headline, there are a couple of caveats here. The first, very big caveat is that the coach in question in the headline is PAT Adelman, not his brother DAVID Adelman under discussion above. The second caveat is that as inappropriate as the incident was, Pat Adelman really went on more of an anti-racist rant than a racist one - he was accusing some of his white players of being racists. His method seemed inappropriate, but I don't believe that calling it a racist rant is accurate.

The third caveat is that David Adelman is accused in the same article of having two DUI arrests, and while he was guilty, that story is interesting as well: https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2009/11/judge_rules_in_david_adelman_d.html

Assuming Walton is fired at the end of the season, who is out there who could be good options.

I’m not opposed to anyone like Thibs or Nate McMillan who may have been fired but they tend to win in previous places. I mean, Thibs has turned the Knicks around a bit. We need a guy like that or a guy like Nick Nurse who gets his shot and then flourishes.

Off the top of my head, Becky Hammond. Anyone else?
Kenny Atkinson

dude12

Hall of Famer
I want someone who will be aligned with the players McNair is getting. He’s adding length on the wings and guys who can play some defense. So play with pace, play to your rosters strengths and someone who will demand defensive intensity. Look what Thibs has done.

Charles Lee in Milwaukee and Ime Udoka are at the top of my wishlist right now. I doubt Udoka will have interest but think there would be a chance with Lee

Getting Becky would be interesting because you know the NBA will move mountains to make her more competitive to show "progress" and get some hype (would be a massive storyline in particular leading a team that has not made the playoffs for close to 20 years) going it would be like having Harden/Luka in terms of extra foul calls you would get.

Back up the Brinks truck and lure Becky outta San Antonio before Pop has a chance to make a counter offer
If Becky Hammon really understands how to get the very best out of a team like our KINGS, I'd be completely on board.

I really have no clue as to how good a coach and communicator she may or may not be. Does anybody else, really? Or is everyone just hopeful that she would be??

Coaching under Pop doesn't sell me on anything. We see disciples fail seemingly more often than not.

That said I'd be more open to new blood than re-treads.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If Becky Hammon really understands how to get the very best out of a team like our KINGS, I'd be completely on board.

I really have no clue as to how good a coach and communicator she may or may not be. Does anybody else, really? Or is everyone just hopeful that she would be??

Coaching under Pop doesn't sell me on anything. We see disciples fail seemingly more often than not.

That said I'd be more open to new blood than re-treads.
Have we? Bud’s teams are consistently reaching the middle rounds of the playoffs and Brett Brown probably had the process Sixers one unbelievable Kawhi buzzer beater away from the finals (he then subsequently lost the team but it was a good run)

dude12

Hall of Famer
Have we? Bud’s teams are consistently reaching the middle rounds of the playoffs and Brett Brown probably had the process Sixers one unbelievable Kawhi buzzer beater away from the finals (he then subsequently lost the team but it was a good run)
Isn’t there one other former Spurs assistant having a good run as head coach?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Anyone know why Kenny Atkinson was let go? Was it the Nets divas who didn’t want him because he was a big meanie or another reason? I just remember his teams playing hard whenever we played them and possibly playing above their talent level.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
D’anToni~~~~~~
That is my fear. GM's frequently go with what they know and Mike over al win loss is 672 to 527... not overly exciting but to an ownership group who has not seen a head coach with a winning record sing George Karl grifted is way in the door it might be impressive.

For the record I'd take Tibbs in a heart beat, Becky as a nice second option but otherwise it's time to look past guys who have mostly failed in the NBA and see what could be found with WNBA, G-League or College winning records.