NCAA Women's Tourney

Would you participate in a pick 'em pool (bracket) for the women's tournament?

• Total voters
Anyone else following the women's tournament? Huge Stanford fan, so I'm hoping for a repeat. The road is going to be rough, but if last year proved anything, it is that the road is not impossible to conquer.

PS: I've added a poll to gauge interest in a women's tournament bracket pool (free, of course). If interested, I can assume ownership beginning next year (unless there is a KingsFans rule out there that prohibits non-admins/non-moderators to do such a thing. If so, just let me know...)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
There's no rule about regular posters being in charge of board-related fantasy sports. Go ahead and take ownership of a Women's NCAA bracket group if you like. There's also no hard and fast rule on which sites might be used to host a group, but I would recommend that you use a site that is free to register and join (e.g. Yahoo, ESPN, I'm sure there are other major ones), though that is pretty much industry standard.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Let me put it this way: I would, at least, in principle, be way more likely to participate in a pool for the women's tournament than the men's. That said, I don't really watch college basketball, period, so I'm going to regretfully pass.

There's no rule about regular posters being in charge of board-related fantasy sports. Go ahead and take ownership of a Women's NCAA bracket group if you like. There's also no hard and fast rule on which sites might be used to host a group, but I would recommend that you use a site that is free to register and join (e.g. Yahoo, ESPN, I'm sure there are other major ones), though that is pretty much industry standard.
Thanks for the confirmation, and allow this statement to be my official declaration of ownership of a Women's NCAA bracket group :):):)

And to your last point, I was actually thinking about just using Yahoo, since that one is used for the Men's one that I am in this year. Best to keep it all on the same platform.

Let me put it this way: I would, at least, in principle, be way more likely to participate in a pool for the women's tournament than the men's. That said, I don't really watch college basketball, period, so I'm going to regretfully pass.
I respect that. and won't hold a grudge against your decision.

With that being said, you would probably end up doing better than me if you signed up; I can never seem to be able to figure out this March Madness bracket prediction thing. I've been filling out brackets for years, and I don't think I've ever been in contention to win a pool ($ or free) at any point after the 2nd round.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't know much about Stanford, beyond the fact that the player on their team that gets the most national attention doesn't even start. And, unless she has a major leveling up her senior year, isn't even a lock to get drafted by the WNBA.

Another win for the gals. Although, this time around, the road provided a significant amount of rough patches. Gonna have to step up their game if going back-to-back is on their minds...

Big night tonight....Women's Final Four. Can the Cardinals pull off the "upset" against the Gamecocks?

And, more importantly, can my gals survive the Huskies?

And the National Championship defense comes to a screeching halt. Shooting 4-23, and virtually going cold during key stretches of the game can do the trick. Great run, though, for the gals, and I expect a slight decline over the next handful of years, seeing that Stanford will see a couple of key Seniors leave. Sunday's championship game should be a great one, although I'm struggling to figure out where my temporary allegiance is going to reside.

I'm not burdened by whatever conflict you're dealing with. I root for whichever team's playing against Connecticut. Done and done.
There are a handful of teams that I would rather not root for over Connecticut (a few in the Pac 12, actually, and for obvious reasons). My issue is that their opponent tonight is slowly becoming one of those teams.

My heart is torn right now. Perhaps, all I hope for is a good game, and I don't go in wanting one team to win more than the other.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
There are a handful of teams that I would rather not root for over Connecticut (a few in the Pac 12, actually, and for obvious reasons). My issue is that their opponent tonight is slowly becoming one of those teams.
Being unbeholden to regional loyalties, as I am, those reasons are far from obvious, to me. I can't imagine what would have to occur for me to root for Connecticut over any team they were playing.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Was this before or after ESPN decided that they were going to make Connecticut the center of the women's basketball universe?
When I left Boston ESPN2 was still the deuce and showing roller hockey. So I'm not sure. They were sort of the center of it in New England either way, but I think Tennessee occupied the dominant villain role that UConn now owns.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I would challenge the notion that Tennessee was ever a dominant villain, somewhat: women's college basketball didn't have anything resembling the cache it has now, when Tennessee was last dominant. By the time there was national attention of any consequence towards women's basketball, Tennesse and Connecticut were basically equals, and Connecticut would surpass them, soon after.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I would challenge the notion that Tennessee was ever a dominant villain, somewhat: women's college basketball didn't have anything resembling the cache it has now, when Tennessee was last dominant. By the time there was national attention of any consequence towards women's basketball, Tennesse and Connecticut were basically equals, and Connecticut would surpass them, soon after.
Keep in mind, I spent the 90s in New England and certainly had a biased perspective.

I typically rooted for Stanford and then UConn during this time.

I will have to respectfully disagree with your challenge on the notion. When it comes to women's college basketball, Tennessee was indeed, at one point, considered a very dominant villain. I agree with you on the fact that, back then, national attention on the women's game (especially college) was nowhere near what it is today. But that, in my honest opinion, doesn't exclude the Lady Vols from being labeled a "dominant villain".

I kind of expected South Carolina to end up having the edge when the game clock hit zero, but I did not expect them to dominate most of the game as they did.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I will have to respectfully disagree with your challenge on the notion. When it comes to women's college basketball, Tennessee was indeed, at one point, considered a very dominant villain. I agree with you on the fact that, back then, national attention on the women's game (especially college) was nowhere near what it is today. But that, in my honest opinion, doesn't exclude the Lady Vols from being labeled a "dominant villain".
This is one of those things where regional bias before ESPN became the ESPN of today has to be in effect.

This is one of those things where regional bias before ESPN became the ESPN of today has to be in effect.
Yeah, they're only now really starting to make up for the bias by having "SportsCenter LA" (or whatever the heck they label it as), but the issue I have with that is that they could not have chosen anyone more annoying than Ashley Brewer for that (who, I am convinced, has only landed that gig more so for her looks than her broadcasting skills).