NCAA basketball

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
BUT, in the event that does NOT happen, I will be cheering them on to take down South Carolina.
Not I.

UConn is vulnerable. They can be surpassed. Their time as the dominant program in women's college basketball is ripe to be brought to an end. Somebody needs to replace Geno Auriemma as the college coach that all the great players want to go play for, and I need that somebody to be Dawn Staley.

I would also accept that coach being Kara Lawson, but she's years away from being years away.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Duke, Kansas, Purdue as a #1 ... got dang, Arizona bummed me out so hard the only bits I've watched were when visiting the local retro-basketball shop yesterday to look for a gift for TJ's final basketball game/high school decision process, I've missed some stuff that I'd really enjoy. Guess I should have been watching harder.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Duke, Kansas, Purdue as a #1 ... got dang, Arizona bummed me out so hard the only bits I've watched were when visiting the local retro-basketball shop yesterday to look for a gift for TJ's final basketball game/high school decision process, I've missed some stuff that I'd really enjoy. Guess I should have been watching harder.
Duke was a #5, not sure if you were implying they were a #1. But #1 Houston is down 10 at the half to Auburn (with the game in Birmingham), so there's potentially another upset a-brewin'.

Princeton meanwhile as a #15 is about to punch their ticket to next weekend.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Duke was a #5, not sure if you were implying they were a #1. But #1 Houston is down 10 at the half to Auburn (with the game in Birmingham), so there's potentially another upset a-brewin'.

Princeton meanwhile as a #15 is about to punch their ticket to next weekend.
No I was strictly talking about Purdue losing in the first round as a #1. I know Kansas was as well. But I was talking about the 1/16 which has happened twice now? Both times shortly after Arizona crapped the bed.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
No I was strictly talking about Purdue losing in the first round as a #1. I know Kansas was as well. But I was talking about the 1/16 which has happened twice now? Both times shortly after Arizona crapped the bed.
Princeton dismantled Missouri today, just absolutely slaughtered them, so maybe they're just on an undeniable heater.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Their system suits their talents to a T. I could see them making the Final Four no joke.
Alabama will probably have something to say about that. Princeton does an amazing job with what they have, but Alabama is just far too big and far too talented for them, in my estimation.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Alabama will probably have something to say about that. Princeton does an amazing job with what they have, but Alabama is just far too big and far too talented for them, in my estimation.
Princeton would probably expel students who do a murder, so yeah.

I don't expect my Tigers to go all the way, but I'll enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.

Ivy League schools have a major disadvantage in college sports -- no athletic scholarships and you have to qualify academically. So there's a much smaller pool of players to draw from. There have been NBA players from Ivy League schools, but not many. That's why what Princeton has done this year is is so special. Princeton made the Final Four in 1965 when Bill Bradley was there. They lost in the semifinals and, since the consolation game was his last game at Princeton, he went for it and scored 56, which I believe is still the highest total for a tournament game. Geoff Petrie, of course, was another.

Good luck to the Tigers against Creighton or Baylor!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
FAU can’t miss now. FDU’s pressure defense allowed a bunch of open shots in a row and allowed them to get in a groove.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
You gotta feel bad for FAU. If only Purdue wins their first round game, FAU (along with Princeton) is one of the darling teams of the Sweet Sixteen. But since they beat a #16 seed, they'll be nobody's darling.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You gotta feel bad for FAU. If only Purdue wins their first round game, FAU (along with Princeton) is one of the darling teams of the Sweet Sixteen. But since they beat a #16 seed, they'll be nobody's darling.
I couldn’t help but keep asking myself “am I really rooting against a 9 seed for the sole offense of playing the sixteen seed?” while watching and the answer was a resounding ”yes”.

Gonzaga vs TCU was one of the best games of the year. They played faster than the NBA and showed a very high skill level. Both teams play decent defense, but the score was still in the 80s. Miles (TCU) and Timme (Zags) were both showcased and have great talent.

The transfer portal has helped to generate much better parity in college basketball. Teams like Princeton and FDU are a blast to watch. FDU is a competitive team with a line-up smaller than plenty of high school teams.

The University of Connecticut just clobbered Gonzaga. It was stunning.
Would believe Florida Atlantic is in the Final Four?
San Diego State is only West Coast school left.

Iowa Women make the Final Four for the first time since ‘93! Up next they have a nearly impossible task of beating South Carolina but hey it’s house money at this point. Caitlin Clark with a 40 point triple double, the first in NCAA history. Just crazy