[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

the Celtics would win by like 50. What are we even doing here?

I think what they are trying to accomplish is to challenge the Celtics to go to Greece and play. Also in the past when several NBA teams went to Europe for friendlies, FIBA rules, absences and not being prepared at all since it was always at the start of the preparation period for them led them to lose several matches. So if the Celtics go in late August/early September without the USA team trio that may still be resting, without much training before that and lacking motivation (though Mazzulla has proven to be a hard working coach focusing on each opponent separately). There were a dozen of times that the European side won in the past especially when playing at home (and almost a hundred I guess that the NBA team won).

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think what they are trying to accomplish is to challenge the Celtics to go to Greece and play. Also in the past when several NBA teams went to Europe for friendlies, FIBA rules, absences and not being prepared at all since it was always at the start of the preparation period for them led them to lose several matches. So if the Celtics go in late August/early September without the USA team trio that may still be resting, without much training before that and lacking motivation (though Mazzulla has proven to be a hard working coach focusing on each opponent separately). There were a dozen of times that the European side won in the past especially when playing at home (and almost a hundred I guess that the NBA team won).
I guess when a Champions League sends their D squad to play a Tuesday night MLS friendly during their offseason while MLS teams are in mid-season form and loses MLS can declare themselves world champs too.

I know what the coach is doing but the best case is they'd get to play an NBA pre-season game in USA against the real team on minutes restrictions and lose by 50.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matissa/2024/07/18/the-new-orleans-pelicans-are-in-big-trouble/

"... after the Sacramento Kings executed a sign-and-trade for DeMar DeRozan (an older but cheaper version of Ingram), there isn’t much of a trade market left for Ingram. So, the Pelicans can’t use Ingram to acquire better-fitting players, and they are running the risk of losing him for nothing in free agency in 2025 if they don’t sign him to a max extension (which would go for 4-years and 208 million dollars)."

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

With Donovan extended those are going to be late-ish picks and swaps only have value when you’re better than the team you’re trading with though and the Jazz are still somewhere in the early stages of their rebuild while the Cavs are trying to be contenders? I thought it was a haul for the Jazz, sure but it’s only a haul if you actually use them for something which is something Ainge is notoriously bad at.

That's a great deal; sounds like he really wants to be there. Jazz should do everything they can to build around him and with him.

Ainge collected enough assets to trade for some stuff the next two years, but he probably wont and they will keep drafting 7-12.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It's hard to say what an overpay even is at this point. In the past I probably would have thought that $47 million per year for a one time All-Star on a 30 win team is questionable but it's not only possible but likely that MVP level players will be making twice that much per year 5 years from now. So I guess not?