[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

I'm skeptical that players value All-Star appearances more than championship rings. I mean, a lot of times they value championship rings more than millions of dollars of cold hard cash, is being an All-Star better than that?
I agree, it likely only matters if they can get voted as a starter (which can affect earning potential if voted as a starter twice), and like you said, it may not outweigh the desire for rings among other things (lifestyle/market, teammates, etc). All-NBA recognition matters more, as it directly affects their earning potential and is more of the legit who's who in the NBA. In either case, I'm not sure why someone would think that by creating a rule to keep someone like Klay Thompson from going to the All-star game helps anything in anyway.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree, it likely only matters if they can get voted as a starter (which can affect earning potential if voted as a starter twice), and like you said, it may not outweigh the desire for rings among other things (lifestyle/market, teammates, etc). All-NBA recognition matters more, as it directly affects their earning potential and is more of the legit who's who in the NBA. In either case, I'm not sure why someone would think that by creating a rule to keep someone like Klay Thompson from going to the All-star game helps anything in anyway.
I couldn't possibly care less about KT, but I would like to see every team represented in the All-Star game. It's become a farce anyway, though, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I couldn't possibly care less about KT, but I would like to see every team represented in the All-Star game.
That sounds ghastly. I mean, if I squint hard enough, I can see the rationale of wanting to see every team represented through the lens of Kings fandom. But then, you've got to follow that to its logical conclusion, and ask who was supposed to be an All-Star from the 2017-18 Nets? Or the Hawks?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That sounds ghastly. I mean, if I squint hard enough, I can see the rationale of wanting to see every team represented through the lens of Kings fandom. But then, you've got to follow that to its logical conclusion, and ask who was supposed to be an All-Star from the 2017-18 Nets? Or the Hawks?
YMOV. I wasn't even thinking of the Kings in particular.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I couldn't possibly care less about KT, but I would like to see every team represented in the All-Star game. It's become a farce anyway, though, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.
The MLB's done that and still wound up with controversial snubs.

It's a superstar driven league. I bet if the ballot has Kobe Bryant's name on it, the fans will still vote him in. That's more the problem of this whole All-Star thing. The league itself doesn't even treat it serious enough for it to be legitimately an accolade.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm intrigued by the Lakers-San Antonio-Leonard issue. Seems to me that the Lakers have to make a deal this year for Leonard, not get him in FA next year. They'll have to sacrifice their younger core to do it. By January 2020 LBJ turns 35 years old. The Lakers need Leonard on their team this year to get comfortable with playing each other. With a younger LBJ, Dwayne Wade and Bosh, the Heat couldn't win a championship in their first year. They needed another season to be a team and win a championship. If the Lakers don't get Leonard by this upcoming season, the window could be closed for future championship aspirations.