[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this move for Boston. It might be too much money, but I think it makes them a better team.
They are too good of a team to tank without getting Kemba, so Ainge had to do this.

Obviously Kyrie>Kemba, but It's an big upgrade in terms of chemistry, team play etc and it may become something special with another Ainge magic trade.

I love this fit for Boston, especially if GH is back in his last Utah season form where he was a point forward, with the way Kemba wants to play and likes to play off ball, it would be blessing for Celtics to get that GH back.

If GH is back to that level I can see Boston winning 50+ wins next season.

They just need to sign some big guys on cheap contracts.

dude12

Hall of Famer
How is it that all of these guys are already getting deals in place? As in specifics...years and amount. Kemba already a done deal....how? Seems like there is negotiating ahead of time.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
How is it that all of these guys are already getting deals in place? As in specifics...years and amount. Kemba already a done deal....how? Seems like there is negotiating ahead of time.
The whole "no contact before July 1st" thing is nearly (not quite) but nearly as bogus as the NCAA's "student-athlete" hoax. Remember in years past how seemingly a dozen free agents agreed to contracts within minutes of midnight EDT on July 1? Obviously those contracts were agreed to ahead of time, it's not like dudes are negotiating and agreeing to 9-figure contracts in 3 minutes and change.

The only difference is that this year, the sports reporting world appears to be letting the mask slip. In years past they've respected the NBA's rules and declined to report on these agreements until the negotiations were legally allowed to happen.

The interesting question for me is: Why now? What has changed?

They are too good of a team to tank without getting Kemba, so Ainge had to do this.

Obviously Kyrie>Kemba, but It's an big upgrade in terms of chemistry, team play etc and it may become something special with another Ainge magic trade.

I love this fit for Boston, especially if GH is back in his last Utah season form where he was a point forward, with the way Kemba wants to play and likes to play off ball, it would be blessing for Celtics to get that GH back.

While I agree that Kyrie is more talented than Kemba (not a huge gap), I think Kemba plays with a chip on his shoulder that ultimately gives him an edge on how much he impacts his team. He will bring the same fire to the Celtics that IT did while also putting forth effort on defense.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

I don't think Kyrie is that much better than Kemba to be honest. Kemba has a good head on his shoulders though and is a good teammate so that alone will be more beneficial for the Celtics.

The interesting question for me is: Why now? What has changed?
Feels to me like the media as a whole has gotten tired of this... wasn't it Jackie MacMullan or one of them ESPN guys who tweeted how ridiculous this whole thing is when AD who isn't officially traded yet and Magic Johnson who is no longer with the Lakers can freely recruit Kwahi Leonard because they aren't affected by tempering rule?

What a season it could be! We still have to wait on Kawhi but he seems like a guy that makes wise choices and Toronto is the clear winner IMO. If he stays out east I see the West like this...

Denver, LAL, Utah, GS, Portland, Houston and OKC are probably locks. That leaves one spot for Sac, Dal, SAS or the Clips. Scary.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Who is their "core of young players"? Smith?
R.J. Barrett. Mitchell Robinson. Kevin Knox (sure, had a pretty awful rookie campaign). And heck, Randle is 25 and on a deal that isn't as bad as some people think. They've whiffed on the stars in free agency but they still have a ton of cash to get second-tier guys. They have two future firsts from Dallas and still have all their own future first round picks. This isn't their year, but they're not in a bad position for the rebuild, especially considering that they're The Knicks and can be expected to compete effectively in the star free agent market more often than not.

R.J. Barrett. Mitchell Robinson. Kevin Knox (sure, had a pretty awful rookie campaign). And heck, Randle is 25 and on a deal that isn't as bad as some people think. They've whiffed on the stars in free agency but they still have a ton of cash to get second-tier guys. They have two future firsts from Dallas and still have all their own future first round picks. This isn't their year, but they're not in a bad position for the rebuild, especially considering that they're The Knicks and can be expected to compete effectively in the star free agent market more often than not.
Can they though? Yes, it's New York, but when's the last time they managed to land a star free agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.