[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Oh god, what are the Suns doing? Why are they doing everything in their power to avoid giving Ayton the ball? Why would Randle want to join a team where 120% of the possessions are going to go to Devin Booker? What the hell do the Suns have against acquiring point guards?

Suns interested in Julius Randle

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If the Warriors re-sign Durant and Klay they will be paying ultra millions of dollars for two players who are not playing next year. Will they not make the offer to Durant to go after a healthy big FA? It would be ruthless, but could be better for their longer term future.

If the Warriors re-sign Durant and Klay they will be paying ultra millions of dollars for two players who are not playing next year. Will they not make the offer to Durant to go after a healthy big FA? It would be ruthless, but could be better for their longer term future.
KD has a player option for next year. $31.5 mil!

Vlade needs to take note here, perfect example of holding on to your assets for too long and passing up opportunities to trade for stars
I can't remember which commentator this was the other day, but he said the lesson to take from Toronto versus Boston is "Nobody's waiting around for your five year plan."

CP3 wants out of Houston. This NBA offseason is going to be awesome!
Read that Harden got tired of CP3 always coaching him about defensive and moving without the ball when CP3 shouldn't even be talking because he can't even get around his man anymore.

They're both right to an extent but I'm enjoying seeing them fall apart since I can't stand either player for completely different reasons.

I’ve always felt Ainge was a tad overrated. Not that he’s bad. However, His best moments have always been being there when somebody is ready to do something stupid like trading prime Ray Allen for Jeff Green and or a near decade worth of picks for the corpses of KG and Pierce. He hasn’t drafted particularly great(though I guess not terribly) despite all the picks and hasn’t really flipped them into another star player. He hasn’t made very gutsy moves like the Raptors were willing to make.

I don’t think this is something we have to worry about with Vlade. His first major move was unexpectedly trading the franchise player for unproven talent and getting killed and then turning on what would’ve been the safe pick as far as publicity goes(Donic) in order to get who he thought would be a true superstar. I don’t think he’s getting too attached to a process if there was undoubtedly an opportunity to just all of a sudden be contenders. Vlade wouldve traded Jaylen Brown and Rozier for Kawhi atleast

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Read that Harden got tired of CP3 always coaching him about defensive and moving without the ball when CP3 shouldn't even be talking because he can't even get around his man anymore.

They're both right to an extent but I'm enjoying seeing them fall apart since I can't stand either player for completely different reasons.
One step closer to my CP3 destroys the Lakers too scenario.

Jazz didn't give up too much imo. That's a nice backcourt of Mitchell and Conley, but they need to find some wings if they want to move up to the top tier.

Would be nice to get Crowder somehow. Couple of 2nd round picks maybe? Doubt Memphis needs him.
Yeah, they just paid Kyle Anderson, Parsons for another year, Dillion Brooks will be healthy, Bruno coming back after a decent end of the season and CJ MIles for another year. Plus Korver, Bradley and Allen (if they want to play him at all) as wing players too.

Did the Grizzlies not have better offers for Conley at the trade deadline last season? This package doesn't seem like much of anything to me. Korver is an all-time 3PT shooter but he's a mummy now. Crowder is decent but very undersized. Allen is still young but hasn't shown much, and the draft tomorrow is really weak so that pick might not amount to much. Memphis is so far away from contention I'm just not sure how this helps. There's apparently a future first round pick in the deal as well but I'm not sure the Jazz will suck enough to make it worth it any time soon.

Conley is getting old for an NBA player so I can understand diminished returns, but did he not hold MUCH more value during the deadline last year to a team in contention?

Yeah, they just paid Kyle Anderson, Parsons for another year, Dillion Brooks will be healthy, Bruno coming back after a decent end of the season and CJ MIles for another year. Plus Korver, Bradley and Allen (if they want to play him at all) as wing players too.
Yeah I think it's worth a shot to go after him. Good backup and can start in a pinch if anyone is injured.

Did the Grizzlies not have better offers for Conley at the trade deadline last season? This package doesn't seem like much of anything to me. Korver is an all-time 3PT shooter but he's a mummy now. Crowder is decent but very undersized. Allen is still young but hasn't shown much, and the draft tomorrow is really weak so that pick might not amount to much. Memphis is so far away from contention I'm just not sure how this helps. There's apparently a future first round pick in the deal as well but I'm not sure the Jazz will suck enough to make it worth it any time soon.

Conley is getting old for an NBA player so I can understand diminished returns, but did he not hold MUCH more value during the deadline last year to a team in contention?
I don't know what the offers were for him last year but it seems more like a salary dump than anything. He's making what, 33 and 35 million the next 2 years? The draft is weak but the first 3 players in it are not. Ja Morant is the clear cut #2 and a PG so it makes sense that they'd trade Conley. I suspect it's his bloated contract that has teams not wanting to give up a whole lot for him. He can still play and is just as good as he was in his prime. Great pickup for Utah but like you said, kind of scratching my head at Memphis since it's not like Memphis is a big free agent destination.

Crowder is a pretty big boy. Physically imposing but doesn't use his frame to his advantage like the Kawhi Leonard's of the world. I wouldn't say he's undersized at all but he under performs IMO. Still a slightly better than average player despite that.

It's a pretty solid win-win for both teams. The Conley contract made it so difficult to work with as he'd only be valuable to contenders, most of whom are already spending a crap-load of money already. You get 2 1st round picks, a decent-ish prospect in Allen and free up money this year and don't take any long-term money back.

For the Jazz, they're correctly identifying they have a solid 2 year window here while Mitchell is still cheap to make a deep playoff push getting a near all-star quality guard for essentially 2 late 1sts (Allen, #23) and whatever the 2021 pick ends up being. It only goes really bad for them if FA goes bad when Mitchell and Gobert are up for an extension that season.

It'll be an interesting summer overall. I think a lot of teams might go for the jugular in FA and trades since the GSW might not be the impending threat that they typically are every year with the two devastating injuries. There's a legitimate window next season for all of the other good teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.