[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Good for Igor, I guess. He's kind of lost his luster at this point, with the Suns now in the finals only two years removed from him coaching them and Serbia having a disappointing showing in FIBA play this year. Dallas really going all in on this "Hire as many of Luka's old friends as possible so he hopefully doesn't notice that Haralabos Voulgaris is still running the front office" strategy.

Good for Igor, I guess. He's kind of lost his luster at this point, with the Suns now in the finals only two years removed from him coaching them and Serbia having a disappointing showing in FIBA play this year. Dallas really going all in on this "Hire as many of Luka's old friends as possible so he hopefully doesn't notice that Haralabos Voulgaris is still running the front office" strategy.
Basically rich man's version of what we did for DeMarcus early on

Welp, word around town is Lillard will be requesting a trade.

Blazers have egg all over their faces this week with the Billups hire, the public radio and weeklies went deep into Olshey's claims that the abuse accusations against Billups were vetted, and apparently the investigator was very pro-law enforcement, the past administrations, and right wing which does not fly here and they are in an absolute PR free-fall.

So I don't blame him, but I guess that might put a Lillard for Simmons move on the table :(

The more I am thinking about Dame asking out the more I am thinking that it makes sense for them to tear it down rather than go for the big swap - so a big picks package with a few quality/reclamation players thrown in (ie the Warriors type deal with Wiggins, Wiseman and both of their picks this year), may not have an impact in our quest to move our own guys or land an impact like Simmons, but may help our quest to end the drought.

eta: teams rumored to be Dame's preferred destinations LA (blech), Warriors (blech), NY (hahaha), Miami (yes - go there).

Last edited:
"McGee is a three-time NBA champ" feels like bar trivia.

This three-time NBA champion is looking forward to his first appearance with Team USA.

All the sports dudes trip all over themselves getting it wrong while the person tasked with reading every page of the newspaper randomly knows the answer.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Welp, word around town is Lillard will be requesting a trade.

Blazers have egg all over their faces this week with the Billups hire, the public radio and weeklies went deep into Olshey's claims that the abuse accusations against Billups were vetted, and apparently the investigator was very pro-law enforcement, the past administrations, and right wing which does not fly here and they are in an absolute PR free-fall.

So I don't blame him, but I guess that might put a Lillard for Simmons move on the table :(
But, I was told by Applecare that Dame was "built different"?

But, I was told by Applecare that Dame was "built different"?
I'm not sure this happens without the perfect snowball of events. Just sitting from where I sit as a non-fan in Portland, I can't help but feel Dame got swept up and tossed aside by a vocal segment of the fanbase and it gave him an out. Whether he is genuinely hurt by the last 6 weeks or so or just found the right opportunity to ask out without a massive PR hit will be a question for all times.

Honestly unsure what to make of this since the "haven't made any firm decisions" language leaves a lot of wiggle room for anything.
Dame also said he doesn't view the Blazers as a championship team currently, and that he expects greater urgency from Portland's FO. I think he's firing a shot across the bow, essentially. I'd expect him to follow it up with an official trade demand if he doesn't feel like that sense of urgency has been adequately communicated with roster improvements by the trade deadline next season.

If I were the Blazers, I'd seriously consider trading him anyway. They've mostly experienced first- and second-round exits across the last eight seasons, and I don't know what kind of meaningful roster changes they'll even be able to make to actually improve their chances of reaching the finals anytime soon. If McCollum and a 1st isn't enough to convince Daryl Morey to part with Ben Simmons, then they should seek out any other potential McCollum trades that might move the needle. And if nothing looks promising, then I think they have to consider the nuclear option.

Lillard's value is quite high right now and it's not going to get any higher. He just turned 31 yesterday. He's on the backside of his prime. And if he demands a trade when Portland inevitably fails to improve the roster enough to satisfy Dame's understandable restlessness, then the Blazers' leverage gets completely torn out from underneath them. They'd be stuck in the same position the Rockets were in when James Harden forced his way out of Houston.

That said, I really don't think the Blazers should be on the phone with Morey for a Lillard/Simmons trade, not unless they can coax a third team into the deal to take on Simmons (like, say, the Kings), who could then shift young prospects/valuable draft assets Portland's way. Simmons/McCollum/Nurkic isn't making any noise in the Western Conference. Lillard/Simmons/Nurkic would definitely be intriguing, but again, if Morey isn't taking McCollum for Simmons, then I think you ship out Lillard for whatever godfather offer you can get to jumpstart your rebuild while you've still got some leverage.

Dame also said he doesn't view the Blazers as a championship team currently, and that he expects greater urgency from Portland's FO. I think he's firing a shot across the bow, essentially. I'd expect him to follow it up with an official trade demand if he doesn't feel like that sense of urgency has been adequately communicated with roster improvements by the trade deadline next season.

If I were the Blazers, I'd seriously consider trading him anyway. They've mostly experienced first- and second-round exits across the last eight seasons, and I don't know what kind of meaningful roster changes they'll even be able to make to actually improve their chances of reaching the finals anytime soon. If McCollum and a 1st isn't enough to convince Daryl Morey to part with Ben Simmons, then they should seek out any other potential McCollum trades that might move the needle. And if nothing looks promising, then I think they have to consider the nuclear option.

Lillard's value is quite high right now and it's not going to get any higher. He just turned 31 yesterday. He's on the backside of his prime. And if he demands a trade when Portland inevitably fails to improve the roster enough to satisfy Dame's understandable restlessness, then the Blazers' leverage gets completely torn out from underneath them. They'd be stuck in the same position the Rockets were in when James Harden forced his way out of Houston.

That said, I really don't think the Blazers should be on the phone with Morey for a Lillard/Simmons trade, not unless they can coax a third team into the deal to take on Simmons (like, say, the Kings), who could then shift young prospects/valuable draft assets Portland's way. Simmons/McCollum/Nurkic isn't making any noise in the Western Conference. Lillard/Simmons/Nurkic would definitely be intriguing, but again, if Morey isn't taking McCollum for Simmons, then I think you ship out Lillard for whatever godfather offer you can get to jumpstart your rebuild while you've still got some leverage.
I agree - and I don't think the Blazers are going to get over the top. They blew it in 2016 when they had cap space and have suffered shuffling the deck chairs ever since. They had a fluke window in 2019 and couldn't cross the finish.

Also agree that Simmons is a downgrade for the Blazers but probably good enough to put them in the same hell we Kings fans are in with Fox and friends where there will be no good picks barring a lottery miracle. So if they hit the button on a Lillard move they should look for the best rebuilding package possible and do it before Lillard publicly asks out

Being the facilitator for Sac to acquire Simmons sure is interesting, especially if the team is going to be up for sale in the future. Stash of picks, Bagley expiring, a fan base eager for a new GM - good time to sell with that setup.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
For all the talk about USAB not sending their best players, these players look plenty good enough, to me. I can't imagine that there's any country in the world that would want to see this team, if they had the benefit of three month's worth of practice.

I agree - and I don't think the Blazers are going to get over the top. They blew it in 2016 when they had cap space and have suffered shuffling the deck chairs ever since. They had a fluke window in 2019 and couldn't cross the finish.

Also agree that Simmons is a downgrade for the Blazers but probably good enough to put them in the same hell we Kings fans are in with Fox and friends where there will be no good picks barring a lottery miracle. So if they hit the button on a Lillard move they should look for the best rebuilding package possible and do it before Lillard publicly asks out

Being the facilitator for Sac to acquire Simmons sure is interesting, especially if the team is going to be up for sale in the future. Stash of picks, Bagley expiring, a fan base eager for a new GM - good time to sell with that setup.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I am Portland I would trade Dame to Denver for MPJ, Murray and a pick or two. This would be a win win for both teams imo. Denver would have a real shot at winning a title and the Blazers can do a really fast rebuild around two already established young players. Trade CJ to a contender for a couple first rounders and they could be right back up on their feet in a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.