[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (FEB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is amazing how Donovan Mitchell went from looking like RekeROY his rookie season to Marcus Thornton over the span of half a season.
An interesting tidbit to add to that is that a few months ago after a particularly bad game, he said something like "I can't play like that, man. I didn't have any assists. I didn't shoot well. That's not who I am. I need to involve my teammates".

He's since proceeded to play the same way despite that comment.

An interesting tidbit to add to that is that a few months ago after a particularly bad game, he said something like "I can't play like that, man. I didn't have any assists. I didn't shoot well. That's not who I am. I need to involve my teammates".

He's since proceeded to play the same way despite that comment.
This is verifiable false. He has been averaging something like 31 a game with 6 assist and 5 rebs with something like a .540 ts% He has been on a tear and the Jazz have been winning.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Embid is a force. He is HUGE and pretty dang agile.
only gripe I have with him sometimes is he settles for way too many three pointers, I get that he does that to keep the defense honest and the toll it takes to bang in the paint will wear him down, but man he could score almost every time in the post or get fouled.

only gripe I have with him sometimes is he settles for way too many three pointers, I get that he does that to keep the defense honest and the toll it takes to bang in the paint will wear him down, but man he could score almost every time in the post or get fouled.
I'll also add on to that - I've seen him either lose the ball or get stripped in the post plenty. He's a bit turnover prone. His 3PT % isn't great either.

But let's be honest, at the end of the day he is an absolute monster out there.

I really can not wait to see Jokic and Denver in PO.. not sold on them at all, especially Jokic..

matchup against Jazz and Gobert would be nice to see..

@The_Jamal Marcus Smart is 14th in the NBA in RPM.

Really wish the Kings would have went after him hard in the offseason. He would have been a great addition and helped immensely with running the 2nd unit.

Really wish the Kings would have went after him hard in the offseason. He would have been a great addition and helped immensely with running the 2nd unit.
He’s become a competent 3-point shooter, and he’s as dogged a defender as you’re likely to find in the league. I just love his toughness and attitude. I desperately wanted him to fall to the Kings in the 2014 draft, and have been wishing he’d end up in a Kings uni ever since.

The highest ranked King is Nemanja Bjelica at 34.

As far as Marcus Smart is concerned, he did not seem interested in the Kings at all if I remember correctly.

The highest ranked King is Nemanja Bjelica at 34.

As far as Marcus Smart is concerned, he did not seem interested in the Kings at all if I remember correctly.
Did he say anything? I just thought there was never any real interest from the Kings expect one rumour that lasted a day.

He would’ve been a good fit for the team but maybe just as well the Kings didn’t get him

Did he say anything? I just thought there was never any real interest from the Kings expect one rumour that lasted a day.

He would’ve been a good fit for the team but maybe just as well the Kings didn’t get him
I seem to remember him/his agent expressing no interest in going to the Kings during the rumors, but I am not sure of that.

EDIT: searching the internets to confirm my memory and finding nada. all i'm finding is that the rumor was quickly squashed by the Kings themselves (which confirms your memory).

Last edited:
Why aren't you sold on Jokic?

Guy is a constant triple double threat. Maybe the best passing big in the league too.
its regular season, for stats in regular season I do not pay much attention.. coaches do not use defansive specials on opponents players, game is not played with 100% and it is used by players to pump up stats..

I am waiting to see him when every posession counts, when defence is on 100%, and coaches pay more attention to exploit weaknesses of oposition..

I would love for Jokic to do this in PO, that would mean he really took it to another level, but I am just not convinced..

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'll also add on to that - I've seen him either lose the ball or get stripped in the post plenty. He's a bit turnover prone. His 3PT % isn't great either.

But let's be honest, at the end of the day he is an absolute monster out there.
He can be a bit turnover prone when he is fatigued, and with a big body like that running up and down the court, he definitely can be stopped when fatigue sets in.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Luka with 18 first quarter points versus Cleveland...let's see how much he ends up with for the night. Could be a new career high potentially.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
its regular season, for stats in regular season I do not pay much attention.. coaches do not use defansive specials on opponents players, game is not played with 100% and it is used by players to pump up stats..

I am waiting to see him when every posession counts, when defence is on 100%, and coaches pay more attention to exploit weaknesses of oposition..

I would love for Jokic to do this in PO, that would mean he really took it to another level, but I am just not convinced..
The idea you're referring to is the T-Mac/James Harden/Cp3 doctrine.

Absolute ballers in the regular season who completely fall to pieces in the playoffs.

The opposite would be playoffs Rondo.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The idea you're referring to is the T-Mac/James Harden/Cp3 doctrine.

Absolute ballers in the regular season who completely fall to pieces in the playoffs.

The opposite would be playoffs Rondo.
T-Mac was infamous for his utter and abject failure to elevate his teams in the postseason, but I don't know how fair it is to say that he "fell to pieces." McGrady is one of a small number of superstar players whose career playoff scoring average is at least three points better than his career regular season scoring average. Granted, his playoff FG% is lower but, for the most part, I feel like he never lived down that choke job against Detroit in '03.

Details! I want details!
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...uke-walton-after-loss-to-warriors-per-report/

Lakers veterans had heated exchange with Luke Walton after loss to Warriors, per report

All of the drama finally boiled over in the Lakers locker room on Saturday night. Amid constant trade rumors, LeBron James' injury and coach Luke Walton possibly being on the hot seat, the team's veterans reportedly had a heated exchange with Walton following their loss to the Golden State Warriors.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...uke-walton-after-loss-to-warriors-per-report/

Lakers veterans had heated exchange with Luke Walton after loss to Warriors, per report

All of the drama finally boiled over in the Lakers locker room on Saturday night. Amid constant trade rumors, LeBron James' injury and coach Luke Walton possibly being on the hot seat, the team's veterans reportedly had a heated exchange with Walton following their loss to the Golden State Warriors.
I feel bad for Luke Walton. I’d want out if I was him. LeBron basically has the reputation as a coach killer and he just wants a figure head on the sideline. Spoelstra was fortunate that Pat Riley had his back because LeBron even tried to run him out of Miami. Luke doesn’t have that luxury. I’d expect a figure head on the Lakers sideline before seasons end. Who’s a recently retired LeBron flunkie that can take over? Well, I guess Ty Lue is available.

Hiring a coach before LeBron is pretty much like hiring a coach before the GM

Status
Not open for further replies.