[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (FEB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At this point, none. If you read past the sentence you quoted I said I don’t expect him to last the season. You can also gather i don’t think it has anything to do with his coaching ability though. Which is why I feel bad for him. He’ll easily catch on elsewhere though.
Aside from the time he filled in for Steve Kerr with the greatest regular season team in history, where's the track record that would indicate Luke is a good coach?

Aside from the time he filled in for Steve Kerr with the greatest regular season team in history, where's the track record that would indicate Luke is a good coach?
What’s indicated he’s a bad coach? Losing seasons with low talent ball clubs? By that metric, there was never anything to indicate Mike Malone was a good coach until the Nuggets had a winning season but fans thought he was a good coach as a losing Kings coach because he got the most out of his players. Sure enough, he got a really talented group in Denver and knew just what to do with them.

It’s my opinion as it always is when determining if losing is more about poor rosters or poor staff. I happen to think Luke had a crappy roster playing the right way and being more competitive than they probably should have been(or wanted to be for draft reasons, but the coach has one job) and that is as recently as the month they just played without LeBron got the most out of their talent and played the right way and survived still in it. A lesser coach would’ve been done. I saw it the last two years as well.

Unfortunately...Luke Walton’s eventual winning hand just happened to feature a card that really runs things his own way and a coach with a different philosophy like Luke Walton’s is already DOA without proper FO backing as Spoelstra had(remember the Miami superstar circle jerk tried to scapegoat him early in that run). He’s also in the vulnerable position of not having been hired by the current front office and being approved by the player who acts like a GM.

I’m not stating this as fact. It’s my opinion that Luke Walton is a good coach. Hence why I feel bad for him because whether or not Walton is a good coach...he’ll merely be replaced by a yes man. So again, I don’t believe it has anything to with performance.

Last edited:
The idea you're referring to is the T-Mac/James Harden/Cp3 doctrine.

Absolute ballers in the regular season who completely fall to pieces in the playoffs.

The opposite would be playoffs Rondo.
Westbrook also, stacking triple-doubles, chasing stats so he can average TD, and than can not take his team past first round with home court adventage..

I see Harden playing garbage time so he can carry on his 30 points streak, and than media and fans go hype that.. thas nice, but not important.. PO is when it counts and there I see James Harden unable to hit swimming pool, or Westbrook losing home court adventage in first round..

do not get me wrong, I do not hate on Jokic.. as a Serb I would love him carrying his team to the end, by playing this level of basketball.. in reality I would rather take Bogdan in my team for Play Offs than Jokic, as crazy as that sounds, as I know Bogdan will deliver it 100%.. but I hope Jokic proves me wrong..

now just one thing more concerning this.. why I like this Kings.. they do not care about stats, just wins.. WCS said yesterday his job will be to box out, somebody else can get rebounds.. now fans might hate that WCS does not deliver 10+ rebounds per game, it is fine, but organisation has to respect this, as this is a way teams can win it..

so as much is nice to watch players racking stats in regular season, that menas nothing, there is one goal and that is title, and this is how players should think..

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I feel bad for Luke Walton. I’d want out if I was him. LeBron basically has the reputation as a coach killer and he just wants a figure head on the sideline. Spoelstra was fortunate that Pat Riley had his back because LeBron even tried to run him out of Miami. Luke doesn’t have that luxury. I’d expect a figure head on the Lakers sideline before seasons end. Who’s a recently retired LeBron flunkie that can take over? Well, I guess Ty Lue is available.

Hiring a coach before LeBron is pretty much like hiring a coach before the GM
in the same fashion Bron exiled a good coach in David Blatt to hire Ty Lue, the same is happening here. Not saying Luke is a good coach but it's pretty clear that his specialty is preaching defense and effort and apparently the vets don't like what he's preaching, so Bron will make sure he is gone.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
At this point, none. If you read past the sentence you quoted I said I don’t expect him to last the season. You can also gather i don’t think it has anything to do with his coaching ability though. Which is why I feel bad for him. He’ll easily catch on elsewhere though.
I read past the sentence I quoted. It read like someone making a case for why Luke Walton doesn't "deserve" to be fired (and I think I've made it clear where I stand on the concept of "deserve"), and not why he should keep his job.

Besides, a huge component of your argument requires the reader to accept the premise that LeBron James is a "coach killer," and I don't.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
What’s indicated he’s a bad coach? Losing seasons with low talent ball clubs? By that metric, there was never anything to indicate Mike Malone was a good coach until the Nuggets had a winning season but fans thought he was a good coach as a losing Kings coach because he got the most out of his players. Sure enough, he got a really talented group in Denver and knew just what to do with them.
That's exactly why Malone is a good coach, and that's exactly why it's a bad comparison. Malone can do that, Walton can't. He realized that the roster that the GM had assembled wasn't capable of playing the style that the GM wanted them to play, and instead modified his coaching to implement a style they could perform in... and it worked. I'll go to my grave believing that, if Sacramento had given Malone the same amount of rope as they've given Joerger, the Kings would be looking to make the playoffs for the fourth-straight season, right now, and playing for homecourt in the first round.

I don't think Walton is playing with a low talent ball club. There's some good talent on that team, but they just aren't playing well. I'm starting to think the young guys aren't developing as well as they should be.

Ingram should be more of a force on both ends. Kuzma is a great offensive player. Caldwell-Pope is a pretty solid shooter and defender. After LBJ went down, Lonzo was playing better up until his injury. Zubac looks really good. Lance, JaVale and Hart are adequate.

I'm not saying they are full of talent, but they should be winning more games. They've had some bad losses too, one of those against Cleveland.

Walton is probably gone after this season. There's been little to no improvement over his tenure. I frankly can't see any argument against it.

Yea, he won a ton of games when Kerr was out, but so what? He could've sat on the bench doing nothing and still picked up those wins with the ridiculous talent on that team.

I'll go to my grave believing that, if Sacramento had given Malone the same amount of rope as they've given Joerger, the Kings would be looking to make the playoffs for the fourth-straight season, right now, and playing for homecourt in the first round.
With Nik Stauskas leading the way as Boogie's Wing Man?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
With Nik Stauskas leading the way as Boogie's Wing Man?
Let me put it this way: the reason why I said that they'd be playing for their fourth-straight playoff berth, and not fifth is because I think that they would have finished somewhere around 42 wins, and just missed the playoffs that season. But I also think that that would have been good enough to get someone slightly better than Nik Stauskas to be willing to sign in Sacramento.

Now, obviously, everything hinges on ownership/management having Malone's back, and we've seen enough evidence to know that D'Alessandro is not a man of integrity... But, let's just say, hypothetically, that Malone had won a battle of "him or me," and they end up hiring Divac, anyway. And let's say, for the sake of argument, that Malone convinces Divac that he's the right man for the job, that he can make Cousins a winner, with the right pieces around him. You still don't trust that to happen?

I think Malone could have gotten us to the playoffs.

Speaking of Stauskas, he was just traded with Wade Baldwin and two second rounders for Rodney Hood.
This immediately helps the Blazers. They needed a SF bad, and weren't playing Stauskas or Baldwin anyway. They also have a ton of guard depth already as is.

According to Cavs boards however, Hood is a selfish player. We'll see how this works out.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's semi interesting that we wouldn't have tried to acquire Hood at the cost of virtually nothing. Maybe we have larger targets in mind. Also even though I couldn't imagine any scenario that would actually land Porter for Portland, pretty much assures they are out of that pursuit.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Other notes from the Hood deal, apparently he had to agree to the trade and Portland loses his Bird rights so can only re-sign him to an exemption level deal.

I feel bad for Luke Walton. I’d want out if I was him. LeBron basically has the reputation as a coach killer and he just wants a figure head on the sideline. Spoelstra was fortunate that Pat Riley had his back because LeBron even tried to run him out of Miami. Luke doesn’t have that luxury. I’d expect a figure head on the Lakers sideline before seasons end. Who’s a recently retired LeBron flunkie that can take over? Well, I guess Ty Lue is available.

Hiring a coach before LeBron is pretty much like hiring a coach before the GM
Well in all "fairness", Walton did get 2 years or whatever of being a HC for free (on the back of his Warriors gig where they won all those games, probably without much of his help)

Report:

Lakers offering Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, Stephenson, Beasley, 2 first round picks AND they will take on the contract of Solo Hill.
:eek:

If this deal goes through Lakers will have essentiay traded away or let walk all of their top 1st round draft picks over the last several years. Russel, Randle being the others. I find this hilarious. While LeBron and AD are certainly a formidable duo, I don’t know if they are that much better off. Either way, this reeks of desperation and I’d love for this to blow up in the faces of Laker nation.

Apparently AD has also stated he would sign extensions with the Bucks and Clippers to go along with the Lakers so we’ll see what kind of offers, if any, they put together.

Last edited:
:eek:

If this deal goes through Lakers will have essentiay traded away or let walk all of their top 1st round draft picks over the last several years. Russel, Randle being the others. I find this hilarious. While LeBron and AD are certainly a formidable duo, I don’t know if they are that much better off. Either way, this reeks of desperation and I’d love for this to blow up in the faces of Laker nation.

Apparently AD has also stated he would sign extensions with the Bucks and Clippers to go along with the Lakers so we’ll see what kind of offers, if any, they put together.
If the Lakers sell off all of Ingram, Kuzma, and Ball, in addition to their upcoming first rounders, in order to acquire Anthony Davis, then the likelihood of it blowing up in the Lakers' faces actually seems higher to me than any other outcome. Lebron James is 34 years old. Father Time is coming for him eventually. He and Davis and whatever meme-ready squad of ring-chasing has-beens the Lakers can quickly patchwork around them will not be challenging the Warriors for Western Conference supremacy. This strategy occasionally worked for Lebron in the East, but I just don't see it happening out West. There is too much intra-conference parity. It's too much of a gauntlet to get through without a deep roster.

The ultimate problem is that the proposed trade for AD essentially cuts off two of the Lakers' avenues for improvement once the trade is consummated. They would be surrendering their future first round draft picks--the only surefire way to get cost-controlled talent on the cheap in the NBA--and they would leave the rest of their roster so depleted that they would have little to offer via trade in order to elevate the roster quality around Lebron and Davis. That leaves free agency as the lone avenue for the kind of speedy roster retooling that would need to occur to maximize Lebron's shrinking championship window.

Pulling off such a trade for AD probably secures the Lakers a playoff berth this year, but they still wouldn't have the cap space necessary to max out another superstar during the offseason, so Magic Johnson would either need to convince someone to take a paycut to play with Lebron and AD, or the Lakers would have to get by with whatever second-tier talent they could afford to sign. Maybe Klay Thompson would be up for it, and perhaps poaching him from the Warriors would be enough to weaken them while strengthening the Lakers' bid for a title. But I remain unconvinced.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Report:

Lakers offering Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Rondo, Stephenson, Beasley, 2 first round picks AND they will take on the contract of Solo Hill.
Regardless of whether the Lakers can successfully build around LeBron/AD, if this offer is on the table the Pelicans HAVE to take it, right? They're never going to get a better offer than this, right?

Regardless of whether the Lakers can successfully build around LeBron/AD, if this offer is on the table the Pelicans HAVE to take it, right? They're never going to get a better offer than this, right?
The Pelicans may think to themselves that, if this Lakers offer is on the table today, it will definitely be there in the off-season (especially if Lebron misses the playoffs for the first time since his sophomore season). Anthony Davis has named New York among his preferred destinations, and if I were the Pels, I would feel inclined to exercise a bit of patience. If New York manages to land the first pick in the draft, then I’m shipping Davis out of Conference to the Knicks for Dennis Smith Jr., Kevin Knox, and the first rounder that will become Zion Williamson. If New York would rather just rebuild with that pick, then I phone up the Lakers and tell them I want their best offer. Maybe I let LA sweat a bit while I’m at it, and entertain whatever Boston wants to offer without a guarantee that Davis will re-sign with them.

Has anybody asked the question about what happens when AD gets healthy if he still hasn't been traded? Is he going to play another game with the Pelicans? If not, him sitting out the rest of the year getting paid millions to do nothing would really pee me off.

Depends if you love Tatum and would rather try and get the Memphis pick and ours in the draft over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.