[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (DEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
11. But you mean to tell me that fans aren't interested in watching the best players in the world just shoot free throws all game long? What better form of basketball competition could there be?
no defense jack threes is very attractive basketball. As a die hard I’ve found it less entertaining with this nonsense man, bring defense back bring the mid range back.

no defense jack threes is very attractive basketball. As a die hard I’ve found it less entertaining with this nonsense man, bring defense back bring the mid range back.
Yeah I mean I feel less strongly about the midrange, but I think there's a clear difference between the way the Spurs played in the earlier part of the decade and how most teams play now. Motion offense is beautiful to watch, but only insofar as it outclasses good defense. If you're just going to jack up 3s and get to the foul line any time guys breathe on you then that's a whole different story altogether.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
^^^ While I don't know if I would describe myself as a 'defender' of the midrange shot, I do think that there was an 'art' to it, that doesn't necessarily exist for three-point shots, because of the congestion of the defense. Sure, you see Stephen Curry running around screens to get open but, to me, it's not as aesthetically pleasing, or entertaining, as when Richard Hamilton or Reggie Miller or Ray Allen used to do it. And, I don't know what it is, but there is just something about a stepback 18-footer that's just lost in translation, when you go back another six or seven feet.

Also agreed about motion offense: motion offense that leads to a layup or a dunk is great to watch. Motion offense that leads to a 30-footer? Not so much.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I'm a supporter of the midrange shot. You can argue the analytics of it, but from a straight viewer standpoint, it's my second favorite shot only to someone being brutally posterized.

It's like Slim said, there's just something aesthetically pleasing about watching a midrange jumper. Especially when it's silky smooth and makes that "swish" sound. I love it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Even moreso than the 'art' of the jumper itself, though, what I appreciate most is the skill it takes to master a midrange shot. The way I look at it, one good screen will often put a player in position to get a wide-open three-pointer. You've got to put in work to get an open mid-range shot, because that's where all the defenders are.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm curious as to why y'all's brain's default appears to be to believe in a conspiracy on the part of the NBA, rather than incompetence on the ref's fault?
I mean Hassan literally set nothing but moving screens against the Kings last night and didn't get called for it but it honestly seemed like it was more due to the refs just not paying attention more than anything. Most refs aren't good enough at their jobs to be part of a conspiracy.

There are too many rules. NBA has been adding rules for years now. The refs go into each game with a focus on certain things and traveling or carrying is never a top priority. So they just missed it.

There are too many rules. NBA has been adding rules for years now. The refs go into each game with a focus on certain things and traveling or carrying is never a top priority. So they just missed it.
If they are focused on travelling and carrying you would not be able to get through an NBA in under 5 hours in particular; a Bucks games.

Status
Not open for further replies.