[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (DEC/JAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a team with a record of 14-4 can be called mediocre
The season tis young. There always seems to come a point when the super teams bring everything back to reality unfortunately. It's just what it is when the games seem to matter. Sure, you'll have a Heat, Nuggets, or a Jazz show something here and there but the talent always seems to win out.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The season tis young. There always seems to come a point when the super teams bring everything back to reality unfortunately. It's just what it is when the games seem to matter. Sure, you'll have a Heat, Nuggets, or a Jazz show something here and there but the talent always seems to win out.
yeah I wouldn't bet against the Nets come Playoff time regardless of how they look in the regular season and I'll take them over Milwaukee or Philly

whether they deserve it or not is irrelevant if they can put their egos aside and win for the betterment of the team
Historically it won't be irrelevant. You can bet on that. The NBA has built a few teams here in the modern era that will fall into the cracks of time when looked back upon in it's totality.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The one positive is that Dallas might be on the cusp of desperation here soon. Might be worthwhile for Monte to ring them up and see if a Cory Joseph/Nemanja Bjelica package could right that ship! hahaha.
Bjeli would absolutely do wonders for that team. The problem is the Mavs have no real draft assets and not really many young prospects they’d be willing to part with for a 3rd/4th big.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The Jazz... have talent, though...

Bjeli would absolutely do wonders for that team. The problem is the Mavs have no real draft assets and not really many young prospects they’d be willing to part with for a 3rd/4th big.
Who cares. Addition by subtraction is the name of the game, haha. I liked what I saw of Tyler Bey. Not sure what his deal is. Maybe you can expand it with future picks coming the Kings way. Teams seem to be OK with tanking drafts 5 years down the road lol. Getting even the little guarantee of Josephs deal off the books could be worth it. The Mavs have some big expirings.

what teams are you referring to?
Probably the Durant Warriors for 1. That had stink to it and it will linger. Historically the teams that looked organic in nature tended to last. The Bird Celtics. Shaq/Kobe. The showtime Lakers. MJ/Pippen. The Duncan Spurs. Kawhi might have spared himself by winning in Toronto.

The Jazz... have talent, though...
It's about the top tier. Someone that can dominate a game. Mitchell is close. I've never been sold and with the league now I'm not sure a team like the '04 Pistons that are unique and more depth than talent oriented are plausible in the end. The last few years they've been a solid first/second round level team. Maybe this year will be different. I'd like to think so but I'm pessimistic with how teams are bunching up in the middle right now and the top teams seem to be asleep half the time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It's about the top tier. Someone that can dominate a game. Mitchell is close. I've never been sold and with the league now I'm not sure a team like the '04 Pistons that are unique and more depth than talent oriented are plausible in the end. The last few years they've been a solid first/second round level team. Maybe this year will be different. I'd like to think so but I'm pessimistic with how teams are bunching up in the middle right now and the top teams seem to be asleep half the time.
The Jazz don't have any "traditional," According to Hoyle™ superstars, but so what? We saw, just last season, how far you can go with a favorable matchup, and a couple of breaks.

To paraphrase my favorite sports media personality, the great American philosopher Bomani Jones, the Jazz have a bunch of low spades. And yeah, a hand full of low spades will probably not beat somebody who's got the Big Joker, Little Joker, and the Deuce of diamonds, but if you're playing someone who has the Little Joker (Doncic), Queen of spades (Porzingis), and a handful of off-suit face cards, but you're cutting diamonds from the jump, then you can make something happen.

And, who knows? Maybe you get to the conference finals against a team with the Big Joker (LeBron) and the Little Joker (AD), but they keep bumping heads, and you **** around and set them? It's been known to happen. You don't even have to go back to 2004: sometimes, all it takes is to stay hot, and stay healthy. A dynasty can end on one badly-timed injury, just ask the Warriors.

The Jazz don't have any "traditional," According to Hoyle™ superstars, but so what? We saw, just last season, how far you can go with a favorable matchup, and a couple of breaks.

To paraphrase my favorite sports media personality, the great American philosopher Bomani Jones, the Jazz have a bunch of low spades. And yeah, a hand full of low spades will probably not beat somebody who's got the Big Joker, Little Joker, and the Deuce of diamonds, but if you're playing someone who has the Little Joker (Doncic), Queen of spades (Porzingis), and a handful of off-suit face cards, but you're cutting diamonds from the jump, then you can make something happen.

And, who knows? Maybe you get to the conference finals against a team with the Big Joker (LeBron) and the Little Joker (AD), but they keep bumping heads, and you **** around and set them? It's been known to happen. You don't even have to go back to 2004: sometimes, all it takes is to stay hot, and stay healthy. A dynasty can end on one badly-timed injury, just ask the Warriors.
Maybe. I would rather follow the path of Pat Riley if it were me. He saw his team go to the eastern finals and it didn't shake him too far off his plan. He knows they probably don't have the talent at that top rung yet and he's looking to win big. Maybe he flubbed in the Harden sweepstakes, probably didn't but he didn't go out and immediately sign up the middle rung pieces that weren't going to shoot his team up into the next level like a lot of teams do when they reach an unexpected height. Ainge was on that same path but he fell in love with his assets at some point.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Maybe. I would rather follow the path of Pat Riley if it were me. He saw his team go to the eastern finals and it didn't shake him too far off his plan. He knows they probably don't have the talent at that top rung yet and he's looking to win big. Maybe he flubbed in the Harden sweepstakes, probably didn't but he didn't go out and immediately sign up the middle rung pieces that weren't going to shoot his team up into the next level like a lot of teams do when they reach an unexpected height...
And you have become convinced that the Jazz are doing something different than this, based on what?

And you have become convinced that the Jazz are doing something different than this, based on what?
Based on their cap outlook, age, and the fact that you can't look at their roster and see much of any feasible way they have the individual assets to change the arc of their current trajectory via trade unless something unusual goes down. They are essentially all in with this team. There's always time to build around Mitchell but if this team ages out you then rely on either FA or the draft after the fact. Just like anyone else. Also Riley is still putting value into some of his young players that if need be could be that extra key piece to the change they may need.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Probably the Durant Warriors for 1. That had stink to it and it will linger. Historically the teams that looked organic in nature tended to last. The Bird Celtics. Shaq/Kobe. The showtime Lakers. MJ/Pippen. The Duncan Spurs. Kawhi might have spared himself by winning in Toronto.
Those teams were all dynasties. I don't think the Nets need to be a dynasty. I'd imagine a first title for Brooklyn would suffice, whether it's this season or next or the year after, considering what was given up to be in this position, something has to give.

Love your references to the game of Spades in this and at least one other post lately. Used to play it a lot..... now very rarely.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Based on their cap outlook, age, and the fact that you can't look at their roster and see much of any feasible way they have the individual assets to change the arc of their current trajectory via trade unless something unusual goes down. They are essentially all in with this team. There's always time to build around Mitchell but if this team ages out you then rely on either FA or the draft after the fact. Just like anyone else. Also Riley is still putting value into some of his young players that if need be could be that extra key piece to the change they may need.
What you described in Post #438, and what you stipulate the Jazz are doing in Post #440, are not the same thing. The Jazz are, indeed, an older team, outside of Mitchell, Gobert and O'Neale, But they're still pretty much going about their business, in the way that the Heat are. The core of their team, the players who matter, were almost entirely homegrown: they drafted Mitchell (fine, they traded for him on Draft Day, but what's the ****ing difference?), they "drafted" Gobert (same deal as with Mitchell; same team, in fact), they signed Ingles and O'Neale as undrafted free agents. They did then go and get an All-Star/Leader guy in Conley, not unlike how Pat Riley did with Butler, to bring their team along.

From my point of view, they're doing exactly what the Heat are doing. They're not out here acquiring "win now" vets to slot around their core: they're trying to make it happen with what they have. They just have a smaller window, because their core is older.

What you described in Post #438, and what you stipulate the Jazz are doing in Post #440, are not the same thing. The Jazz are, indeed, an older team, outside of Mitchell, Gobert and O'Neale, But they're still pretty much going about their business, in the way that the Heat are. The core of their team, the players who matter, were almost entirely homegrown: they drafted Mitchell (fine, they traded for him on Draft Day, but what's the ****ing difference?), they "drafted" Gobert (same deal as with Mitchell; same team, in fact), they signed Ingles and O'Neale as undrafted free agents. They did then go and get an All-Star/Leader guy in Conley, not unlike how Pat Riley did with Butler, to bring their team along.

From my point of view, they're doing exactly what the Heat are doing. They're not out here acquiring "win now" vets to slot around their core: they're trying to make it happen with what they have. They just have a smaller window, because their core is older.
Where was a homegrown argument even brought up in relation to the Jazz? The Jazz are not attempting to set themselves up for the NEXT move. Riley is which was the point. Will it work out? We'll see but there is a long term plan with the Heat that could eventually net them that next bump they need. The Jazz are essentially all in and yes, the age and cap factors are the reason. Their big move was Conley. Was it enough? We'll see as well.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Where was a homegrown argument even brought up in relation to the Jazz? The Jazz are not attempting to set themselves up for the NEXT move. Riley is which was the point. Will it work out? We'll see but there is a long term plan with the Heat that could eventually net them that next bump they need. The Jazz are essentially all in and yes, the age and cap factors are the reason. Their big move was Conley. Was it enough? We'll see as well.
I guess... From my point of view, the Jazz are just a mirror into the future of what the Heat will look like, 3-4 years from now, if the "NEXT move" doesn't pan out; if they don't get the superstar that they're banking on, and they have to decide whether to pay their young core, or not. The only real difference to me is that Miami doesn't suffer from the small-market insecurity that a place like Utah does, so they're more likely to cut bait on a player who wants to be there... except that Riley is getting old, and he probably doesn't want to have to start over, again, so he could end up doing exactly what you think he's not doing, if he doesn't land the whale he's fishing for.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/luka-d...-its-looking-like-we-dont-care-165322533.html

He should pull a James Harden and force himself to idk... Sacramento?
On the plus side for the Mavs, they got Luka. On the minus side for them, pretty much every thing else.
I know I have no room to talk as a Kings fan but it is amazing how much they’ve bungled this and how Donnie Nelson is allowed to just keep doing this after two decades of largely signing mediocre dudes to big contracts, drafting bad, and generally failing to capitalize on talent.

On the plus side for the Mavs, they got Luka. On the minus side for them, pretty much every thing else.
I know I have no room to talk as a Kings fan but it is amazing how much they’ve bungled this and how Donnie Nelson is allowed to just keep doing this after two decades of largely signing mediocre dudes to big contracts, drafting bad, and generally failing to capitalize on talent.
LOLMAVZ.

The whole Zinger trade never made sense to me, it put their timeline at odds with their actual place in the standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.