[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (APR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
No one in their right mind is trading for him … think the Lakers have the guts to stretch provision him?
Do they have the guts NOT to? They have control of 8 players for basically $150M next year, which puts them already at the tax ($149M, with the apron probably around $156M). Only the taxpayer MLE to work with if they want to try to bring in players - they basically can't use the bi-annual exception or a sign-and-trade due to the apron, and they don't have a draft pick in either round this year. Stretching Russ would clear them nearly $32M under the tax for flexibility and the $16M cap hit in two future years is just not something they'd care about, especially since they're basically only paying AD in those future years.

They have basically zero chance of trading him, and he's not helping the team - stretching him is the dead dumb obvious move.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Just so I understand - Lakers would have $32 million for next season if they stretch?
And they have to fill minimum 6 roster spots?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Just so I understand - Lakers would have $32 million for next season if they stretch?
And they have to fill minimum 6 roster spots?
Yep, that's basically right. About $32 million under the **tax** and something like $4M under the cap (which isn't really room). Of course, that depends on Kendrick Nunn opting in to his ~$5M deal, but seeing as he didn't play all year with a really long-term bone bruise, it would be kinda of dumb for him not to. That also includes the Lakers bringing back Stanley Johnson on his ~$2M team option, but as it's barely above the minimum...in fact, without checking it might actually be the minimum given his years of service...either they keep him or sign another guy to a similar deal in the end.

So that's 7 roster spots taken up (LeBron, AD, THT, Nunn, S. Johnson, Reaves and Gabriel) and 6 to fill with that $32M before hitting the tax. Still, they would have the full MLE, and could use the Bi-Annual and do S&Ts as long as they stay under the apron, which would be about $39M in space to do that. Doable, but hard to make much of a splash.

Now if you thought I meant $32M in CAP ROOM...nah. They won't have that!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So … who thinks the Lakers make the playoffs if LeBron doesn’t go Full Vlade and axe the Hield trade in favor of Westbrook?

Immediate addition by subtraction with Russ never happening, and Buddy sitting off to the side to get set up by LeBron seems like money. No Russ, none of the chemistry issues … injury issues exist. I’m not saying they’d be a good playoff team, but I think they win enough to sneak in without Westbrook.

So … who thinks the Lakers make the playoffs if LeBron doesn’t go Full Vlade and axe the Hield trade in favor of Westbrook?

Immediate addition by subtraction with Russ never happening, and Buddy sitting off to the side to get set up by LeBron seems like money. No Russ, none of the chemistry issues … injury issues exist. I’m not saying they’d be a good playoff team, but I think they win enough to sneak in without Westbrook.
If I had to guess I'd say they'd be the 9th or 10th seed due to injuries.

Aren't you on record more or less saying that you don't think coaches matter? What do you care who the Kings hire?
To me it seemed like he is on the record saying coaches don't matter in terms of whether someone like Jokic would be what he is, not that coaches don't matter in general. But then again, I'm not that good with precicness of language, detail, and nuance.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
To me it seemed like he is on the record saying coaches don't matter in terms of whether someone like Jokic would be what he is, not that coaches don't matter in general. But then again, I'm not that good with precicness of language, detail, and nuance.
His posts appeared to be mainly focused on Jokic, but he also strongly implied that even a coach like Gregg Popovich doesn't matter, without Hall of Fame talent.

His posts appeared to be mainly focused on Jokic, but he also strongly implied that even a coach like Gregg Popovich doesn't matter, without Hall of Fame talent.
I would say like 2-3% or under of my posts if that are about Jokic (I think I talk more about the Poku potential) it's mainly hating on the Kings roster and yes I always think roster/roster construction is way more important than coaching. I brought up Vogul (I have no idea if he's a "good" coach) because I think Sabonis when he first came to Indy was coached by him and that Pacers team lead by Victor played really good basketball with Sabonis as a #2-3 option coming off the bench,

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I would say like 2-3% or under of my posts if that are about Jokic (I think I talk more about the Poku potential) it's mainly hating on the Kings roster and yes I always think roster/roster construction is way more important than coaching...
Uhh... I was specifically referring to your posts about the topic in question, not your entire posting history on this message board, of which I have little knowledge, beyond this subfolder.

Status
Not open for further replies.