Monk is back!!!!!!!!

One of the few dudes on this team I enjoyed on a night-in / night-out basis. (The other being Sabonis) Really was painful thinking he was gone gone.

Love his game. Love what he brings. Give him the starting 2-spot and let he and Fox cook. I really think Fox having the full time engagement of playing with Monk even more will elevate him further, or at least keep him out of the usual Fox lapses into sub-star.
No he is best at the point.

I think you do primarily a 3 guard rotation: Fox, Ellis and Monk. I think we have to trade Davion if we can and we are going to see why you don’t take “best player” as an under 6’3” guard. I’m not sure we get more than 1 or 2 2nds for Davion. Hope I am wrong.

No he is best at the point.

I think you do primarily a 3 guard rotation: Fox, Ellis and Monk. I think we have to trade Davion if we can and we are going to see why you don’t take “best player” as an under 6’3” guard. I’m not sure we get more than 1 or 2 2nds for Davion. Hope I am wrong.
I'd be shocked if Monte doesn't now look to add length. Monk back on a non-option for the Kings contract means this team is basically what it is from here on out unless trades go down. Now lets see what the 13 and future picks might actually bring in. Keeping the pick would be interesting but without moving some salary if Monte does that's it. They are right up against the luxury tax right now with Monk and that pick. And that's without Len or any of the other cap holds.

He is making less than 20 mil per season. I guarantee he could have commanded that. Klay is absolutely washed and like I said monk is the leader of this team. Go take some happy pills cuz you are sour grapes
Teams with cap space can only spend what they have available. I don't think he was high on anyone's list. I thought all along he would take the Kings deal. It's the smart move for the long run. Lets see if there is an option after year 2 then he has full bird rights and the new TV money increasing the cap.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Teams with cap space can only spend what they have available. I don't think he was high on anyone's list. I thought all along he would take the Kings deal. It's the smart move for the long run. Lets see if there is an option after year 2 then he has full bird rights and the new TV money increasing the cap.
The option year can only be the final season of the contract. So as reported, it will be 3 years guaranteed.

The option year can only be the final season of the contract. So as reported, it will be 3 years guaranteed.
Here's a good article by Forbes on the new TV deal and the cap.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryant...-cap-growth-could-change-contract-structures/

The league's latest projections for the 2024-25 salary cap held steady at $141 million, but the cap could climb above $200 million by the end of the decade. That should force teams, players and agents all to rethink how they structure contracts in the coming years.
As part of the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement, the league and the National Basketball Players Association agreed to prevent a massive, one-time salary-cap spike like the one that enabled the Golden State Warriors to sign Kevin Durant as a free agent in 2016. The new CBA prohibits the salary cap from decreasing year-over-year, but the cap also can't increase more than 10% annually.
Had the NBA and NBPA not agreed to cap-smoothing, Nick Thoreson of Ducking the Tax estimated that the cap would have jumped by nearly $68 million in 2025-26. Instead, those increases will be phased in over time. As a result, the cap very well could jump 10% annually from 2025-26 (when the new TV deals begin) through the end of the decade.

I've been saying all along that the Kings best chance to re-sign him is to get him to agree to a contract before Free Agency begins, which we just did.
I think a lot of it has to do with his loyalty to what the Kings organization did for him and his career.

He knows that some teams may be able to offer up more money and offer a bunch of promises, but he's been in the NBA long enough to know all that BS to try and lure you in free agency can all of the sudden go poof when the season starts.

He knows he has a concrete role, love and success in Sacramento, Monk has found his HOME, no need to look around! :)
YUP! The fact that he didn't even allow himself to be wined and dined by another team or two, really speaks to his comfort level and happiness here. Technically, he owes sac nothing.

and that could mean everything or nothing I suppose. If for instance Holmes is Monte’s guy, he could be bringing in the Wares and Edeys just to be as thorough as possible.
These all seem like move down candidates if true. Not a fan of any as high as 13. Monte makes a trade to move down and at this point that might actually allow him to re-sign someone like Len without going over the luxury tax.

I saw this news break on Deuce and Mo’s podcast a few hours ago.

Wow. I wasn’t expecting this. Talk about a rollercoaster.

Back when talk first started about Monk’s impending FA, I was of the view that he was definitely coming back. That he loved playing with one of his best friends and in front of a phenomenal fans base and for a franchise that allow him to show out and flourish. Basically, too many things lined up perfectly. It just didn’t make sense that he’d wanna leave even for a few million more per season.

BUT, all the talk here and all over the net over the ensuing months caused me to foolishly change my stance. I thought the odds of him leaving here were quite high. I’m so very happy that didn’t end up being the case.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of a Summer full of great news.

Last edited:
Sounds like the exact scenario they laid out on D-Lo & KC w/ Ham. Player option lets him opt out and resign a max. (Sorry if it’s already posted).

No, we're still about $11M under the first apron...but we will have to pay our #13 assuming we keep that. That should push us into the tax by a nose, and we won't be able to use the full non-taxpayer MLE. Unless, of course, there are other moves we make to drop some salary.

Obviously Huerter seems a likely candidate to be sent off, and we know that Barnes has been on the block forever. That's $34M+ between those two, and while we'd obviously be taking salary back, it wouldn't be shocking to save a few million here or there if we deal them.
Couldn’t we resign Monk last? Feels like teams do that all the time. Use your full MLE, sign your draft pick, and then sign monk. Or make your trades, use your full MLE, and then sign monk. Seems like we should sign Monk last, and have that be the move that puts us in the apron.

20 mil is a drop in the bucket for someone like monk. Not high on anyone’s free agent list? Did you see all the free agent ranking this spring? He would have elevated the Magic for sure and could have been pretty much the only fun one to watch on Detroit.

Couldn’t we resign Monk last? Feels like teams do that all the time. Use your full MLE, sign your draft pick, and then sign monk. Or make your trades, use your full MLE, and then sign monk. Seems like we should sign Monk last, and have that be the move that puts us in the apron.
It doesn’t matter when we sign him, except that this let’s the front office know which direction to go.

I am just happy. I would be even happier if Monk could start. One of the reasons I'm for Monk starting - he sets Domas the best on the Kings.
Since I'm Lithuanian - I followed Valančiūnas a lot. He was made in Toronto into a screener, offensive rebounder. PG Kyle Lowry was short, SG DeRozan - main scorer who couldn't shoot threes - never passed the ball to JV. Ever. JV was traded to Memphis, Memphis drafted JA and JV had the best season. JA would attack the rim, fly high, attract 2-3 defenders and dump the ball to JV for an easy bucket. To start Fox, Monk, Domas and Keegan - that would be just nasty, baby ;)

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter when we sign him, except that this lets the front office know which direction to go.
But I think order does matter (or at least it used to matter). If Monk is the first agreement you sign on the first day of free agency you are immediately a tax team, and you have a lower MLE. If you wait to actually sign Monk, you can use you full MLE (as a non-tax team) and then actually sign Monk after you’ve used your MLE.

Teams used to do that all the time- do all of their free agency business first and then resign their Bird rights guys last since they can resign them regardless of cap. Captain Factorial (who is always on this stuff) suggested that the reported Monk deal makes us a tax team and takes away our full MLE. My question for him was whether the new apron rules prevent us from the “sign monk last maneuver” or if the fact that he is an Early Bird somehow changes the equation. Or maybe it is because he’s signing an extension, and that has to be signed before June 30?

But I agree- knowing he will sign a contract allows us freedom to make other moves.

I'd be shocked if Monte doesn't now look to add length. Monk back on a non-option for the Kings contract means this team is basically what it is from here on out unless trades go down. Now lets see what the 13 and future picks might actually bring in. Keeping the pick would be interesting but without moving some salary if Monte does that's it. They are right up against the luxury tax right now with Monk and that pick. And that's without Len or any of the other cap holds.
Len can be re-signed cheaply, he's a decent bench player - I think unless they trade for or draft a center, they'll resign Len.

Yeah I think this is probably the plan. Woj used "intends" to sign a deal in his tweet. And Monk wouldn't agree before FA if one of his main intentions was helping the Kings as much as possible.

All just a matter of how we send everything to the league office.

Yeah I think this is probably the plan. Woj used "intends" to sign a deal in his tweet. And Monk wouldn't agree before FA if one of his main intentions was helping the Kings as much as possible.

All just a matter of how we send everything to the league office.
My guess is that it’s more about the fact that Monk still can’t sign until July, even though teams now have this exclusive window in June to negotiate with their own FAs. What’s somewhat odd to me is that the Tweet reads “intends to” rather than “agrees to”.

My guess is that it’s more about the fact that Monk still can’t sign until July, even though teams now have this exclusive window in June to negotiate with their own FAs. What’s somewhat odd to me is that the Tweet reads “intends to” rather than “agrees to”.
maybe it’s the Josh Hart thing where he delays the signing until a date I don’t remember so that they can’t trade him at the deadline. Hart delayed his extension until after that date so that he could avoid being included in trade packages for at least a year. If I’m Monk, and I essentially gave the team a discount, I’d want assurances I’m not getting shipped off at first opportunity

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
No, the NBA closed that loophole. If you use the non-taxpayer MLE, then you can't go over the first apron at any time the rest of the season. Hard capped. So the order doesn't matter.