Monk is back!!!!!!!!

Wow. I’m very surprised. Not so much that he decided to return but that he did it before free agency.

Perfect to not have that question over our heads heading into the draft and free agency.

That’s a great value deal for a player of Malik’s quality as well. Salary and years. He’s only just entered his prime.

Let’s go
I've been saying all along that the Kings best chance to re-sign him is to get him to agree to a contract before Free Agency begins, which we just did.
I think a lot of it has to do with his loyalty to what the Kings organization did for him and his career.

He knows that some teams may be able to offer up more money and offer a bunch of promises, but he's been in the NBA long enough to know all that BS to try and lure you in free agency can all of the sudden go poof when the season starts.

He knows he has a concrete role, love and success in Sacramento, Monk has found his HOME, no need to look around! :)

Thinking through this a little:

-This allows you to fully shop Huerter/Davion now without worrying about being thin at guard or creation. Felt like we had walk a tightrope in terms of offering them around because if we didn't get back Monk, those dudes all of a sudden become vitally important again to our offense. Now, you got 3 guards that can easily fill 105+ MPG every night.

-I'm the anti "need" draft guy, but now you know you don't "need" a guard at pick 13, if we keep it. Once again, if we knew Monk was gone, all of a sudden our guard rotation would become pretty dang thin in terms of creation.

-We've now locked in 5 core players for at least the next 2 seasons. That's incredibly exciting.

Just have to find a way to upgrade the HB slot to the right player. That's the missing piece here. Sure, maybe could find a better back-up C, or maybe find a better back-up wing option. But all our eggs need to be how to upgrade that 4 slot.

Guess who's back, back again?
Malik's back, tell a friend
Guess who's back? Guess who's back?
Guess who's back?

(Da-da-da, da, da, da, da, da, da)
(Da-da-da, da, da, da, da)

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
One of the few dudes on this team I enjoyed on a night-in / night-out basis. (The other being Sabonis) Really was painful thinking he was gone gone.

Love his game. Love what he brings. Give him the starting 2-spot and let he and Fox cook. I really think Fox having the full time engagement of playing with Monk even more will elevate him further, or at least keep him out of the usual Fox lapses into sub-star.

Last edited:
I've been saying all along that the Kings best chance to re-sign him is to get him to agree to a contract before Free Agency begins, which we just did.
I think a lot of it has to do with his loyalty to what the Kings organization did for him and his career.

He knows that some teams may be able to offer up more money and offer a bunch of promises, but he's been in the NBA long enough to know all that BS to try and lure you in free agency can all of the sudden go poof when the season starts.

He knows he has a concrete role, love and success in Sacramento, Monk has found his HOME, no need to look around! :)
Yes a bit like Webber signing the max deal in a way.....decades ago.

Thinking through this a little:

-This allows you to fully shop Huerter/Davion now without worrying about being thin at guard or creation. Felt like we had walk a tightrope in terms of offering them around because if we didn't get back Monk, those dudes all of a sudden become vitally important again to our offense. Now, you got 3 guards that can easily fill 105+ MPG every night.

-I'm the anti "need" draft guy, but now you know you don't "need" a guard at pick 13, if we keep it. Once again, if we knew Monk was gone, all of a sudden our guard rotation would become pretty dang thin in terms of creation.

-We've now locked in 5 core players for at least the next 2 seasons. That's incredibly exciting.

Just have to find a way to upgrade the HB slot to the right player. That's the missing piece here. Sure, maybe could find a better back-up C, or maybe find a better back-up wing option. But all our eggs need to be how to upgrade that 4 slot.
I have a feeling we are going to take a big at 13 if we don’t move it. My guess is Holmes or Edey.

I have a feeling we are going to take a big at 13 if we don’t move it. My guess is Holmes or Edey.
Or DaSilva. But if Bub is there we will probably take hom and figure out the rest later. Monte isn't averse to taking the bpa and making a difficult trade. However you can solidly pen in Monk, Fox, Sabonis, Keegan for the roster next season. Probably Keon too but he might have upped his value to the point someone will make a move for a low payed key player.

Smart moves all around by Monte. And I would wager to bet the resigning of Brown had a lot to do with Monk reupping. Don't discount that last sentence. Sorry Sasha fans.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
@Capt. Factorial
How does this affect our salary cap? Does it push us into 1st/2nd apron or luxury?
No, we're still about $11M under the first apron...but we will have to pay our #13 assuming we keep that. That should push us into the tax by a nose, and we won't be able to use the full non-taxpayer MLE. Unless, of course, there are other moves we make to drop some salary.

Obviously Huerter seems a likely candidate to be sent off, and we know that Barnes has been on the block forever. That's $34M+ between those two, and while we'd obviously be taking salary back, it wouldn't be shocking to save a few million here or there if we deal them.

Or DaSilva. But if Bub is there we will probably take hom and figure out the rest later. Monte isn't averse to taking the bpa and making a difficult trade. However you can solidly pen in Monk, Fox, Sabonis, Keegan for the roster next season. Probably Keon too but he might have upped his value to the point someone will make a move for a low payed key player.

Smart moves all around by Monte. And I would wager to bet the resigning of Brown had a lot to do with Monk reupping. Don't discount that last sentence. Sorry Sasha fans.
I think Ellis has earned starting favors with his defense, and showing signs of shooting unlike Mitchell.

Glad I don't need to change my profile photo lol. Absolutely huge news for us and I had a feeling he was going to stay. He gets to play with his best friend, gets to continue building on what he's accomplished here, and money isn't everything to some, plus he just got an $11.5M raise.

Even with the contract, I still don't see him starting, him in the 6th man role is perfect for him and he'll only continue to grow in the role/raise his stock. He can also decline his player option in 3 years time and still get a bag and a starter role a lot of people thought he would chase this summer.

Last edited:
His market was not as strong as people suggested. Detroit? He's going to play behind Cade/Ivey and lose games. Magic? they have Anthony/Black/Suggs and trying their luck on Klay.
He is making less than 20 mil per season. I guarantee he could have commanded that. Klay is absolutely washed and like I said monk is the leader of this team. Go take some happy pills cuz you are sour grapes

He is making less than 20 mil per season. I guarantee he could have commanded that. Klay is absolutely washed and like I said monk is the leader of this team. Go take some happy pills cuz you are sour grapes
Yeah, this is definitely Monk giving a bit back for a team that really helped him put his imprint as one of the best 6th men in the league.

His market was not as strong as people suggested. Detroit? He's going to play behind Cade/Ivey and lose games. Magic? they have Anthony/Black/Suggs and trying their luck on Klay.
Thats really trying their luck -ACL and Achilles history (!). He only should get spot minutes. Retirement comes for all players, and faster for those with a significant injury history. Warriors are fairly close to entering the lottery again I think. They've had some influx of talent, but not enough.