Monk is back!!!!!!!!

I look forward to seeing what Malik Monk can do as a starter this coming season. He certainly deserves the chance.

If Coach Brown decides once again not to see what Monk can do with Sabonis, Murray, Derozan, and Fox, he will be making a grave mistake and perpetrating an unfair situation. Even Terence Davis, Chris Duarte, and KZ Okpala were given that opportunity. Monk, not even once, even though he is a far better player than any of those three.

Opposing coaches know to call a time out when Monk comes in the game and quickly hits one or two threes. It happens all the time. They try to cool him off before he gets going. Just imagine if that happened at the beginning or middle of the first quarter, and the opponent's defensive plans were shot all to hell...

I look forward to seeing what Malik Monk can do as a starter this coming season. He certainly deserves the chance.

If Coach Brown decides once again not to see what Monk can do with Sabonis, Murray, Derozan, and Fox, he will be making a grave mistake and perpetrating an unfair situation. Even Terence Davis, Chris Duarte, and KZ Okpala were given that opportunity. Monk, not even once, even though he is a far better player than any of those three.
Why would it be a grave mistake to balance your starting lineup with a defense first player?

Why would it be a grave mistake to balance your starting lineup with a defense first player?
It depends on how polished he is. Keon Ellis has two years of professional experience, the first year mostly in the G league. (He played 71 minutes with the Kings in 2022-23.) Monk has seven years. Coach Brown tried to balance his lineup two seasons ago with Okpala, and failed spectacularly. Davion Mitchell played over 1000 minutes last season, and the guy had trouble even hitting layups until after the all-star break. Up to that point, he ranked near the bottom of the team in shooting, at 40.3%. Ellis had a good run at the end of last season, but handing him the starting position may be premature. And I say that as a fan of his.

I also think it would be a mistake to start Huerter again. We will have to see what the coaches have in mind. Mike Brown is not exactly Mr. Flexible. If they bring Ellis, Huerter, and Lyles off the bench, that gives the reserves a good balance of offense and defense. They apparently planned to have Devin Carter contribute, but that will probably not happen until 2025.

It depends on how polished he is. Keon Ellis has two years of professional experience, the first year mostly in the G league. (He played 71 minutes with the Kings in 2022-23.) Monk has seven years. Coach Brown tried to balance his lineup two seasons ago with Okpala, and failed spectacularly. Davion Mitchell played over 1000 minutes last season, and the guy had trouble even hitting layups until after the all-star break. Up to that point, he ranked near the bottom of the team in shooting, at 40.3%. Ellis had a good run at the end of last season, but handing him the starting position may be premature. And I say that as a fan of his.

I also think it would be a mistake to start Huerter again. We will have to see what the coaches have in mind. Mike Brown is not exactly Mr. Flexible. If they bring Ellis, Huerter, and Lyles off the bench, that gives the reserves a good balance of offense and defense. They apparently planned to have Devin Carter contribute, but that will probably not happen until 2025.
My guess is that Brown and McNair have seen enough from Keon to be convinced. He's been really solid in his role...and part of his role is not trying to do too much. He was impressive against Curry in the post season win....and I think they win the series the year before, had he been where he is now.

We'll find out in a couple months

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I think DDR’s signing killed his starting chances. I was all for it, but the new lineup needs someone who doesn’t need the ball and can be a stopper on defense to balance things out. Back when Barnes would have been starting (yuck), Monk could have taken all his shots. Now DDR needs to get his, so Monk gets his off the bench.

I think DDR’s signing killed his starting chances. I was all for it, but the new lineup needs someone who doesn’t need the ball and can be a stopper on defense to balance things out. Back when Barnes would have been starting (yuck), Monk could have taken all his shots. Now DDR needs to get his, so Monk gets his off the bench.
Plus side, Monk gets another crack at 6th man of the year

I guess he's fine with 6th man role in the new season again since he was aware of this when he lobbied him with Fox.

It’s like that one year when we traded Iman Shumpert. Statistically, not a great player or star, but was the absolute glue for our team back then. Fox was young and looked to him for leadership a lot as did the rest of the team. We weren’t the same after he was gone.

Monk is that for us now, except he plays a much larger role and is a better player, not to mention best buds with our franchise guy in Fox. And let’s not forget that he’s a fan favorite along with Keegan. Everyone loves him. The only way he can ever be traded that would make it somewhat acceptable is for a surefire star/superstar. Anything less and there will be no forgiveness from anyone. Not the fans or the rest of the team.

It’s like that one year when we traded Iman Shumpert. Statistically, not a great player or star, but was the absolute glue for our team back then. Fox was young and looked to him for leadership a lot as did the rest of the team. We weren’t the same after he was gone.

Monk is that for us now, except he plays a much larger role and is a better player, not to mention best buds with our franchise guy in Fox. And let’s not forget that he’s a fan favorite along with Keegan. Everyone loves him. The only way he can ever be traded that would make it somewhat acceptable is for a surefire star/superstar. Anything less and there will be no forgiveness from anyone. Not the fans or the rest of the team.
Remember, Monk gave up salary to stay in Sacramento. I have to think that Domantas Sabonis' emphatic plea, "We have to resign him," made a difference.