Mo Bamba

gunks

Hall of Famer
Interesting. I think the plan is pretty obvious—depending on how the draft shakes out we chase one of this year’s RFAs using WCS as bait in a sign and trade. And the main goal is to be an “insert superstar” destination in 2019. The idea is to have a ball movement offense established, with a lot of young guys that are fun to play with, share the ball, and on the way up. We’ll hope to sell a young superstar on the opportunity of being handed the keys to that fine-tuned vehicle and becoming the biggest name in India (HUGE marketing/branding potential). We have a great coach, a nice off-court lifestyle, and a city/team that celebrates and takes care of its current and former players. Will it lure in a big star? We’ll see—but it’ll be worth considering.
Seeing as how we have to massively overpay journeymen, role players, and geezers just to get them to sign here, and solid starter tier players take less to play elsewhere, I really hope that the plan ISN'T to try to attract a star FA. Because thats never gonna happen.

This team has to organically grow into a playoff team (which is why a lot of us were pro tank).

Unless we somehow win 74 games next year, in which case we could probably land Durant.

Interesting. I think the plan is pretty obvious—depending on how the draft shakes out we chase one of this year’s RFAs using WCS as bait in a sign and trade. And the main goal is to be an “insert superstar” destination in 2019. The idea is to have a ball movement offense established, with a lot of young guys that are fun to play with, share the ball, and on the way up. We’ll hope to sell a young superstar on the opportunity of being handed the keys to that fine-tuned vehicle and becoming the biggest name in India (HUGE marketing/branding potential). We have a great coach, a nice off-court lifestyle, and a city/team that celebrates and takes care of its current and former players. Will it lure in a big star? We’ll see—but it’ll be worth considering.
If that was the plan in Vlade's mind it was doomed from the start. We have never been a superstar destination or even a B level free agent destination. That reputation hasn't changed in the eyes of anyone outside Sacramento.

Number one, we don't have a great offense. In fact, it's a dinosaur characterized by Weed-bo isos, refusal to take threes, and high post nonsense. At best, we'll see Joerger adapt next year but that's a one year window to make that offense something attractive. At worst, this is the offense of the future because Joerger being stuck in his ways doesn't go away from it.

We have young guys but they're not particularly special compared to other rebuilding teams.

Again, there's no fine-tuned vehicle to sell.

I doubt NBA superstars care about India.

We have a great coach- No we don't.

A nice off-court lifestyle- Not the one that NBA superstars care about. It's cowtown reputation doesn't help.

Will it lure in a big star? Doubtful.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to be "excited" by Bamba in contrast to unexciting prospect like "Mikail Bridges, Porter and even Young"?
Because.

Because Bamba has an inefficient hype machine and I don't know much about him. That's why I put it up here, so fan with more knowledge could do a post like yours.

The SF guys and Young have efficient hype machines... buzz. So I know those guys are definitely the next Steph or the missing alpha scoring SF... because the internet.

So thanks for the substance about Bamba vs those guys I really appreciate it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If that was the plan in Vlade's mind it was doomed from the start. We have never been a superstar destination or even a B level free agent destination. That reputation hasn't changed in the eyes of anyone outside Sacramento.

Number one, we don't have a great offense. In fact, it's a dinosaur characterized by Weed-bo isos, refusal to take threes, and high post nonsense. At best, we'll see Joerger adapt next year but that's a one year window to make that offense something attractive. At worst, this is the offense of the future because Joerger being stuck in his ways doesn't go away from it.

We have young guys but they're not particularly special compared to other rebuilding teams.

Again, there's no fine-tuned vehicle to sell.

I doubt NBA superstars care about India.

We have a great coach- No we don't.

A nice off-court lifestyle- Not the one that NBA superstars care about. It's cowtown reputation doesn't help.

Will it lure in a big star? Doubtful.
It may be safe to assume the day Joerger isn't here is the day Vlade joins him and/or vice versa....they seem to share the same vision and therefore Vlade appeases Joerger by giving him players that he likes, even if that formula won't net you a successful season and beyond.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. In the end, I think the Kings are just in a really shaky position. We're without a clear cut franchise player after year 1 of the rebuild. From 1 season, what we know is that Fox, Bogdan, Buddy, and WCS are guaranteed future solid NBA players. As a result, maybe they're a part of our "young core". However, this core is young in terms of NBA experience, not age. I also think Bogdan, WCS, Buddy, and Fox are all at different developmental stages in their career. There's a considerably large gap between Bogdan and Fox. This isn't anyone's fault, it's just where both players stand.

With all of this in mind, we're heading to year 2 of the rebuild. Unfortunately, the Kings stand 7th overall in the lotto.
Instead of debating whether or not we'd rather draft a 20-10 guy vs. 17-5-5, we're debating on whether or not we should risk a gamble on an athletic raw 7fter with more bust potential than most projected in the top 10.

The Kings always find this way of putting themselves in horrible scenarios. Whether it be passing up on Damian Lillard because you're worried Jason Thompson won't resign. Or trading down from Kemba Walker to Jiimmer Fredette because you wanted John Salmons. Or maybe because your meddling owner wants the "shoots like Curry, big like Klay" Stauskas.

This year, the Kings absolutely can't afford to miss at #7. We're without a draft pick next year. We can't afford to draft a Papagiannis/Richardson or even a Justin Jackson....a 22yearold rookie who struggled to contribute on a losing team.

I agree with you. At some point, we need a plan. To be honest with you, I don't know that this FO has a plan..especially one that they're willing to follow all the way through. That's my biggest concern of all. This is the same team who went all-out on 32yearold George Hill in a rebuilding year, only to dump his contract 1/2 way through the season. What was the point of that signing? Mentorship? If so, why did we cut him 1/2 way through his first season with Fox? Or if we only wanted him here until Fox was ready, then why did we sign him to a 3 year deal in the first place?

It's a hard situation for the Kings. All I know is that we have to absolutely draft at least a good starter with this pick. Anything else, and I think it would legitimately be my last straw with the Kings. The Kings put themselves in this position in the first place. I don't care if you're pro-tank or not, but the Kings won just as many games as they did this year as they did with Cousins during our "playoff run". It's pretty obvious that our plan this year did not involve getting a high draft pick. at least we know it's the only part of the plan they'll be sticking with in 2019.
I hate to keep saying this, but people on this forum always seem to think that a player is supposed to be a franchise player from day one after being drafted. I can site case after case of players that wern't, but by year 4 or 5, they were. My point is, we may have that franchise player, but don't know it yet. To point to the obvious, Oladipo seems to have emerged as the Pacer's franchise player. And, like Bridges, he went to college for three years. And like Bridges, he was known for his defense. And now, in his fifth year in the league, he has emerged as a star.

Now you can point out several reasons why it took so long for him. Like Orlando deciding he was going to play the point, but every player has his own story to tell. Some fall into great scenario's and follow a shorter path. But regardless, I doubt he was going to be a star in year one. I know we live in an instant gratification society, but in basketball, patience is usually rewarded.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm hopeful Miles is on the King's radar. Joerger is going to love his toughness. He definitely thinks that's what the team lacks. In the coaching clinic that aired last year, he said he thinks the next step in the NBA is the big physical wing that takes advantage inside of all the stretch player. Miles could be that guy. He is also ready from day-one and that will please the coach.
Vlade will like Miles' character in interviews and approve his mature decision to return to college last year and get ready. I'm sure Miles was an interesting option for the Kings at #10 last year until he decided to return. Vlade also showed this year that he sees that the Kings need a 3/4 by bringing in Caboclo and Hayes. So I'm positive Miles will be considered and discussed in the draft war room.
I'd definitely like Miles on the Kings. I think he gets underrated this year. He was a top 10 guy last year already and showed this year that he has the aptitude to develop. He has improved what scouts critized, mostly his perimeter skill. His overall mechanis and the pull-up is improved. His decision-making and Ast/TO ratio are better. He is not longer an undersized 4 but a 3 that has the strength to slide to the 4. That is a huge development.
As Sam Vecenie likes to say, he is a conncecting player. You can start him at the 3 and slide him to the 4 to close games and in the playoffs. A Fox-Buddy-Bogdan-Miles-Giles lineup could be a really good closing lineup in a couple years. You got 5 guys that can make plays for each other and switch defensively.
Sam Vecenie also said, when discussing the battle of the two Bridges, he ranks Mikal ahead of Miles, and for the same reasons I do. Better shooter, better defender and taller and longer. He likes both, but if he had to choose, he'd take Mikal, and so would I. I do like Miles though if Mikal is gone.

Sam Vecenie also said, when discussing the battle of the two Bridges, he ranks Mikal ahead of Miles, and for the same reasons I do. Better shooter, better defender and taller and longer. He likes both, but if he had to choose, he'd take Mikal, and so would I. I do like Miles though if Mikal is gone.

I think both have good defensive tools, just different. I like Miles Bridges' defensive versatility at the next level over Mikals. Mikal at 210-220 vs. Miles at 240-250 and bouncy is going to make a difference if both are expected to swing up to play small ball PF.