MLB Thread - 2024

SLAB

Hall of Famer
You think the Giants should have offered $10 million for Joe Kelly, I take it?
Give me a break with that, you know the context matters here. Though, I was a bit wrong throwing that all on him. It wasn’t from Farhan directly, it was from sources saying “The Giants will not be outbid”

dude12

Hall of Famer
Waiting for Yamamoto to sign with the Dodgers….its inevitable. Giants need to get him and Blake Snell. I agree with some of the talk out there that they need to beef up the rotation to elite status. Only way to compete with Dodgers is to shut them down.

Give me a break with that, you know the context matters here. Though, I was a bit wrong throwing that all on him. It wasn’t from Farhan directly, it was from sources saying “The Giants will not be outbid”
Oh, just having fun in an otherwise frustrating time for Giants fans.

Frankly, though, $701 million would not have landed Ohtani, and I’m not sure any Giants offer wouldn’t have just been taken to the Dodgers to match. It’s clear he wasn’t just motivated by money.

I agree somewhat with those who have argued that the Giants didn’t miss out on Ohtani presently, they missed out on him by virtue of the mistakes of the last several years. Where I disagree with those making that argument is that they are doing so mostly to defend the current regime, who we all know has been at the helm for several years now. Do the Giants have a stronger sales pitch for Ohtani if they have Gausman, much less Harper? Absolutely. Ownership, too, deserves plenty of blame for letting things get so bad as well, both in terms of the current situation and for the hole that Farhan and company have had to dig out of, with mixed results.

From what I'm reading, dude is an incredible defensive OF, incredible bat skills, walks a ton, doesn't strike out. Had a power surge breakout last year, but always been someone who rakes doubles. Seems more like a lead-off hitter with his bat control skills than a power hitter in the 3/4 hole.

Love he's only 25 too. Fits right in the age range of all our young guys to hopefully grow together.

Keep going Farhan!

From what I'm reading, dude is an incredible defensive OF, incredible bat skills, walks a ton, doesn't strike out. Had a power surge breakout last year, but always been someone who rakes doubles. Seems more like a lead-off hitter with his bat control skills than a power hitter in the 3/4 hole.

Love he's only 25 too. Fits right in the age range of all our young guys to hopefully grow together.

Keep going Farhan!
Yeah, some of the comments on the Athletic likened signing him to buying a mega prospect, which is exactly what the Giants should be doing.

Yeah, some of the comments on the Athletic likened signing him to buying a mega prospect, which is exactly what the Giants should be doing.
Yep. Not that we don't want to win or anything, but even if we went and got every good FA left on the market.. we're still nowhere close to the Dodgers.

Luciano/Bailey/Harrison/Lee/Webb/Doval is a pretty damn good core to be excited about building around. Another reason i'd love to pounce on Yamamoto if we can; him only being 25 is so damn appealing to add to hopefully make a real push a few years down the line when these guys develop.

Guys like Snell and Chapman would be cool but it's like... why? What are we winning in the next few years with them?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yep. Not that we don't want to win or anything, but even if we went and got every good FA left on the market.. we're still nowhere close to the Dodgers.

Luciano/Bailey/Harrison/Lee/Webb/Doval is a pretty damn good core to be excited about building around. Another reason i'd love to pounce on Yamamoto if we can; him only being 25 is so damn appealing to add to hopefully make a real push a few years down the line when these guys develop.

Guys like Snell and Chapman would be cool but it's like... why? What are we winning in the next few years with them?
The real play would be to spend all year devising a plan to pounce on Roki Sasaki once he gets posted next season

Glad the Giants finally landed somebody that they wanted to get.

Not going to pretend I watch KBO and know anything about the guy, but I know he was one of the most pursued free agents once the Ohtani bomb dropped…and has some hype and hype hypes me up.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Dodgers are so well run. Infinite prospects, infinite money. The World Series are coming and I don’t even really care. I am jealous. I wish my team was the Dodgers and I’m not afraid to admit it. Lol

Dodgers are so well run. Infinite prospects, infinite money. The World Series are coming and I don’t even really care. I am jealous. I wish my team was the Dodgers and I’m not afraid to admit it. Lol
Their ownership gets it. Yeah, they spent a billion this off-season, but there's 0% chance they don't make an absolute crap-ton on that investment with these guys they brought in. As Tetsu said, they're now Japan's team...which is an insane market to just grab a stranglehold of.

I guess it helps when Ohtani just gives you the greatest sweatheart deal of all time.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Their ownership gets it. Yeah, they spent a billion this off-season, but there's 0% chance they don't make an absolute crap-ton on that investment with these guys they brought in. As Tetsu said, they're now Japan's team...which is an insane market to just grab a stranglehold of.

I guess it helps when Ohtani just gives you the greatest sweatheart deal of all time.
Sasaki next year too. They’re set forever. It’ll be a helluva ride for LA fans and their entire nation of bandwagoners.

Sasaki next year too. They’re set forever. It’ll be a helluva ride for LA fans and their entire nation of bandwagoners.
I think Giants ownership is finally getting exposed for being cheap. We just disguised it for so long because of how well we hit on Posey/Bum/Lincecum/Cain type prospects, but we act very very cheap historically when it comes to actually being a "big market" franchise.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think Giants ownership is finally getting exposed for being cheap. We just disguised it for so long because of how well we hit on Posey/Bum/Lincecum/Cain type prospects, but we act very very cheap historically when it comes to actually being a "big market" franchise.
Being located a stones throw away from the most famously cheap franchise in all of pro sports probably helped too. The A’s took all the cheap ownership bullets (rightfully) for the two decades since the Barry Bonds Giants/Moneyball A’s were in business.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
“The San Francisco Giants totally offered the same deals to Ohtani and Yamamoto. Totally. You gotta believe me bro.” - Farhan

I didn’t expect anything this offseason, so it’s whatever. I’m still *hurt* by Harper. There’s ZERO reason you don’t push an offer higher for a 26 year old (at the time) guy of his status who you are actually for real in the final two for. There was no reason not to push to 350mil. None. (Other than the cheap thing, Which they obviously are)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Compared to the billion dollars the Dodgers just spent on two players even the Yankees are cheap.

dude12

Hall of Famer
This is dumb. Seems problematic when a team can spend a billion dollars in the off-season, so far, and that’s on top of the crap ton they spent to keep Mookie and Freeman.

When they don’t win it all, I’ll be there to laugh my ass off.