MLB Thread - 2023

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
A's setting all kinds of records! Worst start modern MLB history at 10-45. Just got swept again by Houston at home (swept a week ago at Minute Maid Park) and setting records for being swept by host of teams so far this disastrous season. Houston hit 7 homers today in 10-1 win - the most HR's ever hit by a team, any team in a game at Oakland. As the records for futility keep pilling up hard to keep track. Feel sorry for the handful of loyal A's fans in the stands having to put up with train wreck that long ago ran off the tracks and now where it all ends who knows.
The A's would sell out the coliseum if they paid to re-sign their stars, kept up with maintenance and modern renovations like other teams with older parks have, actually invested money in promoting their product, and didn't jack up ticket and concessions prices in the middle of the pandemic at the same time they traded everybody on the team for B level prospects and refused to pay their minor league players. Matt Chapman is the best third baseman in baseball -- he was traded for a AAAA outfielder and 4 pitchers who haven't been heard from since. This isn't just another rebuild -- the team was torn down out of spite. And the feeling is mutual at this point.

This is 100% what John Fisher wanted to happen to sell his move to Las Vegas. Clay Bennett did the same thing right before he moved the Sonics to OKC. If the NBA had wanted a franchise in Las Vegas ten years ago when the Maloofs were trying to move the team literally anywhere but Sacramento we wouldn't have our basketball team anymore either. Unfortunately in this case MLB has already waived the relocation fees and cleared the path for them to move as soon as they secure a financing deal. Fans are showing up to boo Fisher which is awesome but I don't think it's going to matter. I just hope they let us keep the team name in Oakland at this point. Maybe there's hope that we can eventually get our team back like Charlotte and Cleveland did.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Dare I say, the Giants have become watchable with the rooks injecting some excitement and Conforto coming alive.
Kyle Harrison on the horizon soon

hrdboild

Staff member
It's an interesting thought. I do think there would be a fanbase for the A's here since Sacramento is technically part of their current television market (not that you can tell with current ownership) and the MLB season doesn't overlap much with the NBA season but the public financing part of this whole saga is pretty minimal compared to the overall investment required. A new major league ready ballpark in Sacramento wouldn't require a retractable roof like Vegas but it's still going to cost at least $1.5 billion -- will there be that level of financial commitment available in Sacramento? The Sacramento Republic FC has been trying to securing financing for their railyards stadium project since at least 2015 and as far as I know they haven't actually put shovels in the ground. That stadium is only projected to cost around $300 million.

It's an interesting thought. I do think there would be a fanbase for the A's here since Sacramento is technically part of their current television market (not that you can tell with current ownership) and the MLB season doesn't overlap much with the NBA season but the public financing part of this whole saga is pretty minimal compared to the overall investment required. A new major league ready ballpark in Sacramento wouldn't require a retractable roof like Vegas but it's still going to cost at least $1.5 billion -- will there be that level of financial commitment available in Sacramento? The Sacramento Republic FC has been trying to securing financing for their railyards stadium project since at least 2015 and as far as I know they haven't actually put shovels in the ground. That stadium is only projected to cost around $300 million.
Start and stop railyards project only has some infrastructure access roads and few other cosmetic stuff happening out there at this point. It is perfect solution to what may or may not be temporary facility turning into possible later permanent home for the A's. When MLS stiffed Sac for San Diego a lot of air went out of the balloon it seems. Las Vegas now looking like loser all the way around making Sacramento look enticing to MLB one would assume. The governor of Nevada promoting public money for the A's new ballpark but legislature in Carson City not gone gaga over the project like he has so far. Vegas residents apathetic mood asking why billionaire owners should get taxpayer handout. Plus, Las Vegas only half the size TV market Sacramento - pretty staggering fact! They already have two pro teams, Raiders and Golden Nights and a third would not work, imo. But Sactown with its glorious summer nights would be simply magical sitting in the stands and no need for a dome here, even if 100 degree day game. We've long been known as a baseball town and will hopefully revel in it again at the MLB level. Bring on the Sacramento Athletics!

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Is Rogers an option? I hope not. Dude can be Blake Treinen-type signing. Closer level dude coming off a bad year stolen out from under everyone else’s noses.

Knowing Farhan… it’s probably an option, he rehabs his value and bounces next offseason after he should have been traded with the Giants on the outside fringes of barely contending for a WC spot
What I said after they signed Rogers. Dude hasn’t given up a run since April, and looks to be the Blake Treinen type signing I expected.

And upon inspection … NOT an option contract!

hrdboild

Staff member

This is the part that breaks my heart. In 2019 the A's hosted the Rays and 54,000 fans showed up to cheer them on at the coliseum. MC Hammer threw out the first pitch. In 2020 the playoffs were played in empty stadiums and then the front office gutted the team and raised ticket prices so high that they made sure no one would show up. We all know MLB is a business and the owner of the A's can move his team wherever he wants to if he has permission from the other owners but don't try to tell me Oakland doesn't have fans.

hrdboild

Staff member
Pretty much our only hope at this point is that the other MLB owners grow a conscience and veto the move. So every little bit helps. They did it for the Giants 30 years ago, which ironically might be the reason we lose the A's. Still hard to believe that a 30,000 seat ballpark in a city with 3 other professional teams will be financially solvent but I suppose nobody goes to Vegas looking to make sound financial investments.

Giants, y’all!
Matos looks real real smooth at the plate. Probably not going to be a super power guy, but he has future lead-off hitter written all over him with that plate discipline. Only 11 PA so far obviously, but it is nice to see how comfortable he has looked so far up here in his first few games.

Some of these newer guys out of the pen look incredible too helping bridge to get to Doval

Luke Jackson showing why we gave him that money.
Ryan Walker has basically been perfect in his first few weeks
The Rogers brothers have been dominant
Alexander been super steady
Brebbia been excellent in the opener role.