MLB Thread - 2022

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It is absolutely insane to me that these teams got this far in the trade process (leaking the deal to pretty much everyone and their mom) before they realized that they still needed to get a guy to waive his no trade clause to get the deal done.

I don’t know a lot (anything) about Padres prospects, but the consensus seems to be “THEY FLEECED THE NATS”
They're sending Gore too, they're super pitching prospect as well. Idk, I don't think you could ever win a trade when you're the team dealing Soto, but this is about as good a prospect haul as they could get. Probably the only thing that we could have done to match this was go all-in with Webb-Luciano-Bednar-Harrison-Ramos

But yeaaaaaaa

Padres get Soto/Hader/Bell

Dodgers get Gallo

Giants get a bad back-up catcher

I was fine keeping Rodon last night, but Farhan is delusional if he thinks pushing for a WC spot to eventually get stomped is worth it. Joc/Rodon/Flores/Cobb should all be on the block

SLAB

Hall of Famer
They're sending Gore too, they're super pitching prospect as well. Idk, I don't think you could ever win a trade when you're the team dealing Soto, but this is about as good a prospect haul as they could get. Probably the only thing that we could have done to match this was go all-in with Webb-Luciano-Bednar-Harrison-Ramos
Ya, with Gore it’s more close to fair. Don’t know how Morosi missed that key name in his initial reports. Lol

The additional guys we got stat lines this year:

Nick Swack in High A: 1.84 ERA-- 10.18 K/9--2.26 BB/9-- 63.2 IP-- 23 years old
Carson Seymour in High A: 3.68 ERA--11.4 K/9--2.1 BB/9--51.1 IP-- 23 years old
Thomas Szuapucki in AAA: 3.38 ERA--12.23 K/9-- 4.08 BB/9--64 IP--26 years old.

Would be an awesome first trade if we actually "sell", but super disappointing if this is all we do.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Looks like we flipped Rosenthal too. So all the ancillary guys, but Joc/Rodon/Flores/Cobb are the guys who can get you decent-ish prospects.
Gotta hang onto those guys for the Wild Card run!

(Ignore the fact we’ll probably go 0 for the rest of the season against LA and San Diego)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I get why teams don’t want to pay a premium for Rodon or Flores or Joc.

Rentals suck. (Sup Carlos Beltran and Kris Bryant!)

Mariners also get Boyd. Wonder if that’s just the Casali deal or a separate one else.
Looks like same deal and the Giants got a catcher prospect. Looks like he's raking:

.264/.400/.444 splits.
145 wRC+
16.2% BB
24.9% K
265 PA

And in the Rosenthal deal:

He's raking this year too:

.306/.386/.485
140 wRC+
11.7% BB
15.9% K
383 PA

I mean, I really like all these deals for guys who basically had no chance to be on the team next year. But Farhan better be confident we're resigning Rodon or all these farm boost deals don't mean much.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
We’re not signing Rodon. But I get it. Rentals are trash, other teams know rentals are trash, and we’re not going to heavily undersell just to do it.

I hate it… but I get it.

Last edited:
Probably, but who cares. On their history they’ll just miss with the picks anyways.

The Giants are just a sad irrelevant franchise now.
I don't mind being "a sad irrelevant franchise" right now if it means we're a "happy relevant franchise" in about 5-10 years. Especially if the "happy relevant franchise" version of us nets us multiple World Series trophies.

I don't mind being "a sad irrelevant franchise" right now if it means we're a "happy relevant franchise" in about 5-10 years. Especially if the "happy relevant franchise" version of us nets us multiple World Series trophies.
And, yes...I did say "multiple World Series trophies". Don't blame me; I AM a greedy sports fan. And I am DAMN proud of it...:p:p:p

Because we all know that one trophy just isn't enough...

SLAB

Hall of Famer
There’s no sign of this being a possibility. Harrison looks beastly, Luciano has all the potential but is raw as heck injured and years away, and there’s not much else there. Ramos continues to falter. Bishop looks like a bust. Bailey is almost certainly a bust. Bednar isn’t blowing people away. Bart sucks. The team doesn’t spend or make moves like LA and SD. An entire franchise shift in direction is going to have to happen, and will it? I think we’ll continue to live under the happy times of Even Year Magic and that one year we won 107 (and then lost to LA anyways)

Did Vivek take over the Giants or something?

I was sure they would’ve moved Rodon and Joc…or atleast made a move to bring in players to help make a run for the wild card if that’s the goal and only acceptable justification for not trading them. Neither will be on the team next season.

Im guessing the offers were insulting

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Farhan talking positively about this team in the booth as they go full 2022 Giants and get their ******* kicked in by LA. Again.

Lol