MLB Thread - 2022

dude12

Hall of Famer
If I’m Zaidi, I at least entertain the idea of dealing Luciano or Kyle Harrison and then other prospects like Heliot Ramos to go get Soto and ask the Nationals to take a contract back like Longoria. I don’t deal both Luciano and Harrison though.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If I’m Zaidi, I at least entertain the idea of dealing Luciano or Kyle Harrison and then other prospects like Heliot Ramos to go get Soto and ask the Nationals to take a contract back like Longoria. I don’t deal both Luciano and Harrison though.
You cant not entertain it, because you know the Dodgers in their infinite money and prospects are as well.

Nats would want all 3 and more. And like Slab said, you have to seriously consider pulling the trigger, especially with the Dodgers being one of the only other teams who can afford the cost to trade and the extension. Facing Soto in the division for the next 10+ years does not sound fun.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Nats would want all 3 and more. And like Slab said, you have to seriously consider pulling the trigger, especially with the Dodgers being one of the only other teams who can afford the cost to trade and the extension. Facing Soto in the division for the next 10+ years does not sound fun.
I don’t recall any deal like this involving 2 top 25 prospects. It won’t happen. Luciano is a top 10 guy and Harrison is going to be soon as he’s dominating every level most likely will end up being the top LHP prospect within a year. Nobody would deal 2 guys for anyone. But SF does have several top prospects to add to one of these guys in a deal

When LA acquired Scherzer and Trea Turner they got Ruiz and Gray who were in the 40’s and then 2 additional prospects.
Luciano is universally seen as a can’t miss guy and most likely a franchise guy. He by himself would absolutely open eyes but I personally would rather trade Harrison than a franchise SS in the making

I don’t recall any deal like this involving 2 top 25 prospects. It won’t happen. Luciano is a top 10 guy and Harrison is going to be soon as he’s dominating every level most likely will end up being the top LHP prospect within a year. Nobody would deal 2 guys for anyone. But SF does have several top prospects to add to one of these guys in a deal

When LA acquired Scherzer and Trea Turner they got Ruiz and Gray who were in the 40’s and then 2 additional prospects.
Luciano is universally seen as a can’t miss guy and most likely a franchise guy. He by himself would absolutely open eyes but I personally would rather trade Harrison than a franchise SS in the making
At the same time, when is a 23 year old hitter who's probably the best hitter in baseball (top 3 at worst), available for trade? This is like if the Angels made 23 year old Mike Trout available in a deal; just doesn't happen.

If there's a deal available, you do it and figure out the rest later. Soto is generational. Luciano and Harrison are awesome prospects, but you trade them all day every day for a talent like Soto. The nice thing is the Giants (in theory) have a budget so they could put a team around Soto to win.

As far as the LA deal, Max was a rental while Trea did have 1 year of team control, is going to be 30 here when he heads for UFA.

dude12

Hall of Famer
At the same time, when is a 23 year old hitter who's probably the best hitter in baseball (top 3 at worst), available for trade? This is like if the Angels made 23 year old Mike Trout available in a deal; just doesn't happen.

If there's a deal available, you do it and figure out the rest later. Soto is generational. Luciano and Harrison are awesome prospects, but you trade them all day every day for a talent like Soto. The nice thing is the Giants (in theory) have a budget so they could put a team around Soto to win.

As far as the LA deal, Max was a rental while Trea did have 1 year of team control, is going to be 30 here when he heads for UFA.
We will see. Agreed that this is an unusual situation as Soto is so young and that makes it unique. I’ll go on record that they do not get 2 top 25 prospects out of this but one and then several organizational top prospects

Joey since getting called back up:

25 PA
.318 BA
.400 OBP
2 HR
12.0% BB
32.0% K
.455 wOBA
200 wRC+

32% is still crazy high, but that's at least a playable number for the majors. And as we've seen all year, this dude hits the ball freaking hard when he makes contact. Tiniest of samples, but it's great to see him have some success and raking the last week and a half.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lmao. Farhan always finds a way.

"Why spend $500 mil on Ohtani when I can just draft the next one?"
I mean, the obvious answer is that Ohtani is now producing at a two-way pace that exceeds even Babe Ruth but I'm sure Farhan will have the last laugh when Crawford produces just enough to be flipped for a four month rental of Pete Alonso or someone of that class which will go well enough but ultimate result in him signing a huge deal with a division rival in the offseason.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I cannot believe how delusional Giants’ Reddit fans are. “LOGAN WEBB AS PART OF A JUAN SOTO DEAL IS OFF THE TABLE!”

And that’s like a universal take! Lmao

I cannot believe how delusional Giants’ Reddit fans are. “LOGAN WEBB AS PART OF A JUAN SOTO DEAL IS OFF THE TABLE!”

And that’s like a universal take! Lmao
Hmm.. I'd probably want to keep a prospect or two if we were including Webb. Dude is 25, he has team control another 4 years, he's a front-line/all-star caliber pitcher. He's not generational like Soto, but I think including all our top prospects AND Webb is kind of excessive. At some point you just have to say "Ok fine, let someone else beat Luciano/Harrison/Ramos/Matos"

Ideally, you just sell the farm and get to start the team with Webb as a starter, Doval in the pen and Soto as a hitter.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hmm.. I'd probably want to keep a prospect or two if we were including Webb. Dude is 25, he has team control another 4 years, he's a front-line/all-star caliber pitcher. He's not generational like Soto, but I think including all our top prospects AND Webb is kind of excessive. At some point you just have to say "Ok fine, let someone else beat Luciano/Harrison/Ramos/Matos"

Ideally, you just sell the farm and get to start the team with Webb as a starter, Doval in the pen and Soto as a hitter.
To me it’s a matter of extension. If you can somehow get Boras to agree to an extension, I don’t care. Trade everyone.

Trade everyone, then he just walks to LA in 2.5 seasons? That absolutely cannot happen under any circumstances.

To me it’s a matter of extension. If you can somehow get Boras to agree to an extension, I don’t care. Trade everyone.

Trade everyone, then he just walks to LA in 2.5 seasons? That absolutely cannot happen under any circumstances.
Yeah that goes without saying. Def need to have the extension worked out before you trade the top 4-5 prospects+maybe ML talent for him.