Mike Bibby was there, police say...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From R.E.Graswich's column, page B1, Sacramento Bee, October 24, 2005:

Mike Bibby was there, police say...the investigation continues
by R.E. Graswich

King questioned: Sacramento police are tyring to determine whether Sacramento Kings guard Mike Bibby was involved in a September brawl that left one man beaten inside a midtown nightclub.

"We have an ongoing assault investigation in progress," said Sacramento Police Captain Joe Valenzuela. "Mike Bibby is not listed as a suspect at this time. He was there. When we finish our investigation, we'll send it over to the district attorney and go from there. I'm limited in anything else I can say at this point."

Police reports say Bibby was among a group in the MoMo Lounge above Harlow's on Sept. 12 when the fight took place. Staff broke up the brawl, in which one man was beaten. Bibby and a collection of friends calling themselves "Team Dime" - a reference to Bibby's uniform number - are frequent patrons at Sacramento hot spots, nighclub operators say. Valenzuela would not say when the investigation might end. The Kings declined comment. Bibby couldn't be reached for comment. Harlow's ownership did not return calls for comment.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/columns/graswich/story/13762258p-14604503c.html

I'll be very honest. I've heard things about Team Dime before, although nothing really concrete. (Always the friend of a friend of a friend said type stuff...) I certainly hope none of Bibby or his "posse" were actually involved in this fight because it would give the media a whole lot of fun stuff to plaster all over the newspapers.

I think it's safe to say that charges won't be filed at this point. This doesn't strike me as a complex investigation. I'm sure more than thirty days out now evryone has been interviewed and charges would have been filed by this point. Asssuming, we are talking about a fairly simple assault case.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not exactly sure why, but Graswich has really pulled back on his sniping at the Maloofs.

I'm not familiar with MoMo's, but I think one impediment to the investigation would be trying to locate witnesses. In addition, you have to consider that patrons in a bar could be viewed as less than optimum potential witnesses.

It depends on a lot of things. Since it was a bar/club brawl then there are certain aspects of this case. Did the man that was beaten throw the first punch etc. It just depends on the facts of the case. Sorry, I've been reading more into cases a lot lately since I'm a criminal justice major. Kind of becomes a habit after a while.

VF21 said:
I'm not exactly sure why, but Graswich has really pulled back on his sniping at the Maloofs.
I know you aren't in the area Vf but he bashes them on the Rise Guys every opportunity he gets.

I really hope he was not involved. They way player's legal issues are viewed as "good news stories," I would think that bigger media outlets would have picked up the story by now if he was in danger of being charged.

If he wasn't involved why do the guilt by association bit now? There's no reason to say anything about him if he wasn't involved. I'd bet that there were probably other prominent Sacramentans there but their names were not badied about. That's one reason why I quit taking that rag, the Bee.

are you sure artest wasn't there?

but in all seriousness- i hope bibby wasn't involved. i think he's a great role model and especially after his little stint on "wheel of fortune", his on-screen presence is great PR for the team.

Maybe Mike is becoming our own Charles Barkley. I assume that no diminuitive hispanic person was pitched through a plate-glass window during the recent festivities.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
zeke04 said:
I am sure if someone was presenting a problem for Bibby, "Team Dime" did their job and made sure no one got close to number 10.
I think the concern would be that "Team Dime" CREATED the problem.

zeke04 said:
I am sure if someone was presenting a problem for Bibby, "Team Dime" did their job and made sure no one got close to number 10.
And what exactly in your opinion would be the "job" of team dime?
Remember, they are not law enforcement, just friends of Bibby. If they are beating people up because they are "getting too close to number 10" then that just makes them thugs. If that turns out to be the case...Well I hope that they get what's coming to them. And that includes number 10.
Sac. is not L.A. and I for one could do without that kind of crap. Even if it meant that Jason Hart was our starting P.G. and we lost every game.
KingDog

unscratched said:
are you sure artest wasn't there?

but in all seriousness- i hope bibby wasn't involved. i think he's a great role model and especially after his little stint on "wheel of fortune", his on-screen presence is great PR for the team.
Exactly he is a role model and hope nutin goes wrong

KingDog said:
And what exactly in your opinion would be the "job" of team dime?
Remember, they are not law enforcement, just friends of Bibby. If they are beating people up because they are "getting too close to number 10" then that just makes them thugs. If that turns out to be the case...Well I hope that they get what's coming to them. And that includes number 10.
Sac. is not L.A. and I for one could do without that kind of crap. Even if it meant that Jason Hart was our starting P.G. and we lost every game.
KingDog
I am not saying they are law enforcement nor am I saying it's right. But, let's not walk around with our heads in the sand either.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
zeke04 said:
I am not saying they are law enforcement nor am I saying it's right. But, let's not walk around with our heads in the sand either.
I think head in the sand would be not realizing that "posses" can be real trouble sometimes. They're basically a half step up from a gang headed by whichever celeb they are leaching off of at the moment. They may not have been involved here at all, but it certainly seems MUCH more likely to me that Team Dime would have been involved than would Mike if he were out on the town alone.

R

R1LOVER

"Team Dime" sound like a gang to me................ Just with a superstar behind and leading them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^People have friends. When those people are really rich and/or really important, their friends come under much more scrutiny than might otherwise occur.

You may think "Team Dime" is rather childish and stupid. What they are in actuality might be entirely different. Articles in the past have indicated it's Bibby's close circle of family and friends.

I don't think it's really for us to judge one way or the other, especially without a basis in fact to make a valid determination.

I was there that night. I got told about the fight. I had left a few minutes before, because this girl that came with me got insanely drunk.

Some may remember I posted a Bibby sighting at Momo Lounge. That was the night.

Yeah I know all the bartenders and most of the bounce staff, door guys etc. In my their report of the fight to me in no way was Bibby mentioned. They were quite aware that he was there. So, I would of heard something like, then bibby kicked that fool in the head lol.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Graswich was, especially for him, pretty fair in saying that there was nothing to indicate Bibby's involvement. I do remember now, Doc, that you did indeed mention something.

LA King Fan II said:
Any truth to the fact that Bibby was actually on the DEFENSIVE that night?
Okay, now that is funny - satiric and sardonic as heck, but funny!!

;)