MARVIN BAGLEY III

As many of you may know, I wanted the Kings to draft Luka Doncic so I can watch more of his games being in the Pacific division and all. I still think he would've been a great fit under Divac and with Fox, Buddy, Bogi and Giles. Personally, I think there's a strong chance that Suns, Kings and Hawks all even end up regretting passing on him.

All that said, summer league really means absolutely nothing. It's literally only there for the rookies to familiarize themselves with the coaching staff and for the 2nd/3rd year players that do it, it's basically a pick up game in front of your team's staff. For the NBA, it's a way to create some revenue during the 5 month long off season.

Bagley can average 2 pts and 2 rebounds in 30 mins for all of Vegas Summer League and it would mean absolutely nothing and there would still be a strong possibility that he comes and drops like at least 14 and 8 in his rookie season.

I'll say it again. SL is for guards and ball handlers. Big men typically have a harder time for a variety of reasons. Especially in the paint. When you have guards on the SL squad who are trying to make A team, they're not looking to pass. They're trying to show off. And i'm not mad at JJ either. Everyone keeps talking about needing a SF. If I were him, I'd use this time to shut the critics up too.

It's on the coaching staff to get these guys to pass and play like a team.
I missed the third CC game, but this sums it up from what I have read.

I like Joerger and our coaching staff.

That said, if there is an issue ( PG play, playstyle,) or if you have a hint of doubt about the direction, you do not change the parts on your car , you learn to drive it, or find someone to chauffeur you around first.

3 early SL games. But, the onus is not on the 19 year olds kids at this juncture. Plot twist though, you might have to give the grown ups more than 3 SL games, might even take 3 seasons ( can you handle that?) to extract full value.

Reminds me of a buddy who made a killing on "payday" loans.

Gotta feel vindicated now, if even only for a moment, rather than see if your hard work might actually pay off, if you wait..

SL sees rookie refs hoping to get the call up, players fighting ( or not ) for a dream, and coaches of a secondary nature ( non HC) also branching out.

Anything spoken definitively at this point says more about the poster IMO than anything one might claim as fact. A lot of arm chair GM's round these parts.

You must have a short memory then. Cousins stuck up plenty for his teammates (regularly made comments about McLemore similar to Giles about Bagley, and don't forget Seth Curry), and his teammates stuck up for him. Jesus, this is the second unnecessary dig I've seen someone take at Cuz this morning. Can you guys not let it go? He's gone, you got exactly what you wanted.
What are you even talking about, man? Stop implying so much from words on the surface. I didn't want us to trade Cousins. He was our best talent in over a decade. Secondly, just because you keep seeing something, doesn't mean everyone everywhere is doing it.

See? I don't even want to debate my original point anymore. Are you happy now? (See how easy it is to just imply and assume things from words?)

What are you even talking about, man? Stop implying so much from words on the surface. I didn't want us to trade Cousins. He was our best talent in over a decade. Secondly, just because you keep seeing something, doesn't mean everyone everywhere is doing it.

See? I don't even want to debate my original point anymore. Are you happy now? (See how easy it is to just imply and assume things from words?)
I didn't say everyone is doing it, I said it's the second person I've seen take an unnecessary dig at him today. Forgive my hostility but I was hoping that the one good thing that would come from trading him, would be the ceasing of cheap shots from his detractors. Fair enough you don't fall into that category, but I'm struggling to see how your comment wasn't both incorrect and a slight.

Months later, and in completely unrelated threads, I still have to wade through anti-Cousins nonsense. Maybe I misinterpreted your post, then.

Somewhat lost in the handwringing here is the fact that Bagley took three shots today. Three. And that's only if you include the time he was fouled, which doesn't show up as a FGA. And he had two turnovers. So all told, he accounted for FIVE offensive possessions. That's called being frozen out.

Meanwhile Justin Jackson attempted 19 shots (17 FGA) and used 20 possessions. Players who I guarantee will not be on our regular season squad attempted 27 shots (24 FGA) and used 34 possessions. I really don't know what he's supposed to do when Jackson is trying to prevent us signing a free agent that would relegate him to the bench and a bunch of other guys are trying their best to make the G-League. All told in the game 86 possessions, our #2 pick got 5. So I'm not really worried about his offense.

Meanwhile, I thought he played very good defense (far better than advertised, though I never thought he was terrible to start with) and showed a real good aptitude for making a smooth switch, especially considering that this squad should have no defensive chemistry. He was active. He didn't put his head down when things weren't going his way. I just don't know what more you can ask for from a guy who has shown us for a full season that he can dominate college basketball and then gets frozen out in a Summer League game. If our squad changes course and puts him in a position to succeed next game, he'll drop 20. I'm not worried about it.
To me it’s no motor to have will in a game

But... it is.

There's literally no correlation anywhere to good or bad SL performances and NBA success and anyone trying to tout that there is some is flat out lying. You're choosing an INSANELY small sample of players who looked bad and were bad NBA players. Just our #KANGZ luck that we had all of them, but it doesn't mean anything as we continue forward with Giles/Bagley/Fox/JJ. And even so, Bagley hasn't looked even close to as bad as any of those dudes did in their rookie SL.

SL is basically for NBA junkies to get excited about their young players and for the NBA to get back in the news cycle in their off-season.
I don’t agree with that. If a player looks like a scrub in SL, it’s usually trajectory. That doesn’t mean it literally translates, at all. But when a player looks bad, it is the anomaly IMO that they turn it on in the coming seasons. Even Napear says that, and even though I don’t usually listen to him I’d be interested in his take today

I don’t agree with that. If a player looks like a scrub in SL, it’s usually trajectory. That doesn’t mean it literally translates, at all. But when a player looks bad, it is the anomaly IMO that they turn it on in the coming seasons. Even Napear says that, and even though I don’t usually listen to him I’d be interested in his take today
I was just looking for competence with a couple of flashes.

The problem your ignoring is it’s hard to differentiate between Bagley’s poor play and the Kings atrocious offense and crappy guard play. I think it was the 4th quarter and Bagley had no shots. Fox and his ability to push will help a little and Bogi will help a lot.

The problem your ignoring is it’s hard to differentiate between Bagley’s poor play and the Kings atrocious offense and crappy guard play. I think it was the 4th quarter and Bagley had no shots. Fox and his ability to push will help a little and Bogi will help a lot.
I’m not, because even factoring in scrub guard play, he should not have made no impact at all on the game.

No coincidence his best game was with Fox running the show and drawing attention. People are being way too critical in here

Jalen rose defended him a bit, earlier.

I didn’t realize he’d only taken two shots
I mostly agree with Jalen there. I mean I expect more from the #2 pick in summer league but at the same time, what's with the Kings always neglecting to put their best prospects in positions to succeed?

He only took 2 shots but he had a handful of opportunities. Of course most of them were of the 1 on 1 variety. We would be looking at an 0-6 or a 1-10 type day if he would have taken more shots.

I mostly agree with Jalen there. I mean I expect more from the #2 pick in summer league but at the same time, what's with the Kings always neglecting to put their best prospects in positions to succeed?

He only took 2 shots but he had a handful of opportunities. Of course most of them were of the 1 on 1 variety. We would be looking at an 0-6 or a 1-10 type day if he would have taken more shots.
He’s not wrong. He looked good with Fox running the show and getting him looks in space and and on the move. If they put this kid in these types of scenarios during the regular season (the Z-Bo special), they may have to rethink about who’s coaching this team in the near future.

He’s not wrong. He looked good with Fox running the show and getting him looks in space and and on the move. If they put this kid in these types of scenarios during the regular season (the Z-Bo special), they may have to rethink about who’s coaching this team in the near future.
Agreed. this is why having a real system in place is important. Look at Coach Snyder In Utah

The Kings were having trouble getting the ball past halfcourt!

What'd they have 13 turnovers in the first half? in a 10 minute quarter game?

Lets not forget this. And how many times did those guards chuck up a quick off the dribble jumpshot in the event they didn't turn it over?
nah actually the Kings had no trouble getting the ball past half-court. Kings had 19tos, and 7 of them came from Harry Giles. Giles and Bagley had a combined 9tos, if you take out theirs, then we only have 10tos as a team.

Just to put that into perspective, Miami's bigs had a combined 3tos compared to our 9tos.

Continuing the bad vibes was his nonchalant post-game interview where “bad games happen” and he’s going to move on from these two without much reflection

He rubs me wrong in all ways.

It's not just that it was one-on-one. He's a post player catching the ball 18-20 feet from the basket. That's not helpful. The entry passes from the guards were poor. It pulled him away from his spot that established in the post. I'm basing from the clip above, but he was also being double teamed.

So there is a lot to analyze beyond just the numbers. As Rose said, his coaches failed him by not playing to his strengths.

I didn't say everyone is doing it, I said it's the second person I've seen take an unnecessary dig at him today. Forgive my hostility but I was hoping that the one good thing that would come from trading him, would be the ceasing of cheap shots from his detractors. Fair enough you don't fall into that category, but I'm struggling to see how your comment wasn't both incorrect and a slight.

Months later, and in completely unrelated threads, I still have to wade through anti-Cousins nonsense. Maybe I misinterpreted your post, then.
Going back to read my own comment, I guess you are right to assume that I was taking a shot at Boogie. I apologize. It was at the time like a throwaway comment in my mind that I put in, I didn't really have any deep harbor hatred towards Cousins at all. If anything, I feel bad for the big guy for being someone who always gets misunderstood because of his demeanor. And I am somewhat glad that he joined GSW. As much as I hate that team, this is the year that he needs to rehab and maybe by joining the public love affair that is the GSW, maybe he'll finally get a fair shake by everyone, and specifically the league and its officiating staffs.

It's not just that it was one-on-one. He's a post player catching the ball 18-20 feet from the basket. That's not helpful. The entry passes from the guards were poor. It pulled him away from his spot that established in the post. I'm basing from the clip above, but he was also being double teamed.

So there is a lot to analyze beyond just the numbers. As Rose said, his coaches failed him by not playing to his strengths.
Seems to be a prevalent theme with our Coaching Staff...

With that being said Bagley has to play better. Bad coaching or not, he has to show more than he has the past two games.

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but I noted a few weeks ago that every single clip I'd ever seen of Bagley, he scored with his left hand. Seriously, not one right-handed move in the 35 to 40 minutes of clips I saw, and some were play-by-play of games he played in college. He has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a post scorer in the NBA
This simply isn't true. Karl malone was one of the greatest post scorers the NBA has ever seen and he didn't really develop his left hand until he had been in the league about 10 years and was a multiple time all star. Even after he developed it he only used once in a while, (like every 3 games or so) and he had no issue scoring in the NBA.

Bagley is a dominate physical specimen. Quick, name me the dominant athletes that were taller than 6'10" that weren't at least low level starts?

He has a strong motor and a great work ethic. Match that with amazing athleticism and he is going to be a player. At least a multiple time all star.

That said......I hope Rudy Gobert eats home for breakfast when the Kings and Jazz match up.

This simply isn't true. Karl malone was one of the greatest post scorers the NBA has ever seen and he didn't really develop his left hand until he had been in the league about 10 years and was a multiple time all star. Even after he developed it he only used once in a while, (like every 3 games or so) and he had no issue scoring in the NBA.

Bagley is a dominate physical specimen. Quick, name me the dominant athletes that were taller than 6'10" that weren't at least low level starts?

He has a strong motor and a great work ethic. Match that with amazing athleticism and he is going to be a player. At least a multiple time all star.

That said......I hope Rudy Gobert eats home for breakfast when the Kings and Jazz match up.
Anthony Randolph & Perry Jones!