Marvin Bagley III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course that's going to come out. And Fox was #1 on their board last year.

I can't wait until the Kings 2nd round pick next draft when they say whoever they picked at 38 was #1 on their board.
Still can't believe teams continue to say this year after year as if anyone believes them. Although who knows the Kings are loopy enough that maybe just maybe Papa G. was the #1 player on their board.

I did. I posted about that tweet in the Luka thread. That's the dumbest of all reasons.

They'd better hope Bagley is the guy. If they took Doncic and the fans were happy and the draft heads all lauded them and he didn't thrive then so be it. But to go against the grain they have to be right.
Fair enough (and yes, tough to keep up with all the threads). I don't mind them going against the grain. I hope that any fans that boo tonight end up looking like the kid crying at the Porzingis pick, which would mean that Bagley has excelled. I think he has some exciting potential. I just found Luka a little more intriguing. As much as I'm annoyed by the "modern NBA trend" talk, it seemed like going with multiple playmakers and adding Doncic with Fox would be less of a fit concern than going big with Bagley and Giles, but we'll see. It will be interesting.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Bogi attacks the rim, kick out to Fox for a long 2. Bagley gets the rebound, and dishes to Zbo who pounds it in the post and gets swatted. Everybody is running hard and putting in effort, fun to watch.
Grant tells us all the time, it's not about wins and losses. If everyone's trying their hardest, that's what really counts and that's what Sacramento fans really love.

There are rationales for taking Bagley instead of Doncic. Doing so because Fox needs to be the primary playmaker is not one that makes any sense to me.

As a starter Fox averaged 4.3 assists. He's not a primary playmaker, at least not yet.

Chris Paul never averaged less than 7.8 assists in any year in his career (topping out at 11.6 apg) and he was able to share a backcourt with James Harden. You take the best player available. Saying that you shouldn't take Doncic because Fox won't want to share the ball is as bad a position as taking Doncic over Bagley simply because the Kings need a small forward. You take the guy you think is best and worry about fit later.

Agreed.
Rookie assist stats are meaningless. The question is, what is the direction going forward? Fox is the direction. And not only will Fox not want to be a secondary ball handler, who says Doncic wants to share the ball? I'm not alone in this opinion, by the way. They were discussing the exact same issue on the nba channel.

Rookie assist stats are meaningless. The question is, what is the direction going forward? Fox is the direction. And not only will Fox not want to be a secondary ball handler, who says Doncic wants to share the ball? I'm not alone in this opinion, by the way. They were discussing the exact same issue on the nba channel.
But Doncic played on and off the ball in Europe. Are you suggesting that he would demand the ball more in the NBA? He also played with other very good PGs over there who were still very good point guards even with Doncic on the team.

I’m happy with Bagley, I think he could be godd and maybe great....but still disappointed we are not taking Doncic. Maybe things will break our way and Bagley is the best guy in the draft.

Is that winning basketball? Letting a bunch of rookies who might not want to share the ball decide the culture?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Now these are reasons I can at least get behind. Fit with Fox shouldn't even be a consideration for the #2 pick for a franchise that's been so bad for so long. I hope he's the guy and the best player from this draft.
My thoughts too. You don't draft for fit at #2 UNLESS you think said player could also be BPA.

Bagley isn't nearly as ready made for the NBA as Doncic, but he's just as good a prospect.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Carmichael Dave just admitted to joking. Whoops.
Oh wait. What? Hrm. Who called it? Let's think. IT WAS ME.

I think Dave made some **** moves. I just called him out on Twitter. I don't think it's cute or clever or funny. A lot of people are really emotionally invested in this and he, for whatever reason, just messed with all of them. Bad form, Dave. Bad form.

If Bagley is the guy then I'm rooting hard for him.

And I hope Giles is back to full strength and can stay healthy. He and Bagley will bring an attitude to the frontcourt that could help give this team an identity.
I think the Giles and Bagley front-court has a real opportunity to give us a significant edge on the glass and size on the offensive end that every other team is getting away from. In theory, they have the athleticism to hedge out onto the perimeter and not get destroyed on defense like pretty much every other big man is experiencing right now.

The hope is other teams won't ever be able to go small anymore as Bagley will punish it on the offensive end. That lets us dictate the flow of the game and make teams try and match-up with us rather than the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.