Luka Doncic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doncic is my guy this draft.

He was eye catching last year, let alone the start of this season. For a guy so young to dominate against older competition is astounding. If we were lucky enough to draft this guy I would be ecstatic.

Got me dreaming of this lineup:

Fox
Bogdan
Doncic
Skal
WCS
Or
Fox
Bogdan
Doncic
Giles
WCS

With Buddy coming off the Bench.....

There's still Porter Jr who might be a more talented scorer than Doncic.

I'm still not sure which position Doncic plays. Don't think he can guard PGs or SGs. Could play SF if he bulks up. Will he be fast enough to get to the rim? Lots of odd factors. I don't think he's a bad athlete per say, but if he were quicker, my concerns would be washed away and I'd be ready to declare him as the next Lebron/Hayward combo.
Really worried about Porters back. If we are at 5 might be worth the risk but would take Ayton, Bagley or Doncic over Porter now.

The more I see of Bogdan, the less I see the point in Doncic. They project to be very similar in most ways. I'd say Bogdan has better tools defensively and Doncic looks to have more of a true PG's mentality. You'll never get 100% out of any of Fox, Bogdan, or Doncic with them on the same team.

The more I see of Bogdan, the less I see the point in Doncic. They project to be very similar in most ways. I'd say Bogdan has better tools defensively and Doncic looks to have more of a true PG's mentality. You'll never get 100% out of any of Fox, Bogdan, or Doncic with them on the same team.
?
If there's anything we've learned from the Warriors, you can never have enough ball-handlers or playmaking. Especially if we think Fox goes the Conley route of being a mid-tier level playmaking PG, we're going to need more help in that department.

There's a ton of fun combos we can run with Fox/Buddy/Bogdan/Doncic. Think all 4 can play with each other

You know, the thing about Luka is... he really reminds me of the starting PG version of James Harden we've seen since D'Antoni took over in Houston. He doesn't play fast but he's so in control of the ball and where he's trying to go and where his teammates are that he doesn't need to play fast. And looking at what James Harden is doing to the league this year, well it makes me question whether "he's just a scorer" is a valid criticism any more. Does Houston care all that much if James is taking it easy on defense when he's dominating games like that? I seriously doubt it. My preference in the draft has been for two-way players or dominant bigs but it's become impossible to ignore the way the league is currently being dominated by guards and wings who are capable of creating off the bounce. And isn't a complete offensive wrecking machine like James Harden more valuable than a guy who's going to be above-average on both ends but isn't ever going to lead a team? I don't know really. It's an open question. In the past I've always preached defense-first and balanced scoring loads instead of superstars but James Harden and Steph Curry have forced me to question everything I thought I knew about basketball.

What I'm trying to say is that it would be a hard choice for me right now between Luka and DeAndre at the top of the draft. There are strong arguments to be made for both of them. And when you're looking at a generational kind of talent, the whole concept of "best fit" goes right out the window. I've vacillated a bit on putting Doncic at #1 because of the whole "white guys can't play defense bias" -- just being honest -- but I think Harden has finally broken me down. We all mocked him for his complete lack of defensive intensity but it looks like he's got the last laugh. I still don't quite get how he does it, but I'm trying to understand. If you have the size, ball skills, vision, toughness, and competitive edge to score 30 a game and account for another 20 or so points in assisted baskets, what else is there to say? That is the game of basketball.

Enough about Harden though. Doncic is legit. If you could buy stock in a prospect I'd be all in. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do in the NBA next year, whichever team he ends up on.

What Houston figured out is you can cover for Harden with the right personnel behind him. Bring in a bunch of tough/defensive-minded studs (Capela/Mbah a Moute/Tucker/Ariza) who go all out on that end of the floor and then just take advantage of Harden's offensive gifts to make them far better than they really are on the offensive end.

Harden really has just mastered offensive basketball. I've watched a ton of Rockets games this year and especially now that he has a real running mate to play off of in CP3, there's just nothing teams can do to really slow him. Has all the footwork/shot fakes in the world, gets into the lane when he wants, dominates at the free throw line, can find any open shooter you leave open, is a very willing passer and always looks to make the right play. And now that Houston has stacked its roster with a bunch of tough defensive role players and floor spacers, he has the perfect fit around him to totally maximize his talents and game.

?
If there's anything we've learned from the Warriors, you can never have enough ball-handlers or playmaking. Especially if we think Fox goes the Conley route of being a mid-tier level playmaking PG, we're going to need more help in that department.

There's a ton of fun combos we can run with Fox/Buddy/Bogdan/Doncic. Think all 4 can play with each other
True, but the combination of players they put out are far different than Fox, Bogdan, and Doncic. They're a team that is more stocked with shooters and less on PG abilities like the driver Fox projects to be, or the pick and roll two man game players that Doncic and Bogdan project to be. You could say that perhaps Hield could be the Klay, but then you still have 3 players that are probably expected to give you more with the ball. Taking the ball out of Doncic's hands will invariably alter his game. Bogdan maybe not as much. He and Hield seem the most Warriors-ish of the bunch to me but this team still tilts being closer to that of a true pick and roll team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What Houston figured out is you can cover for Harden with the right personnel behind him. Bring in a bunch of tough/defensive-minded studs (Capela/Mbah a Moute/Tucker/Ariza) who go all out on that end of the floor and then just take advantage of Harden's offensive gifts to make them far better than they really are on the offensive end.

Harden really has just mastered offensive basketball. I've watched a ton of Rockets games this year and especially now that he has a real running mate to play off of in CP3, there's just nothing teams can do to really slow him. Has all the footwork/shot fakes in the world, gets into the lane when he wants, dominates at the free throw line, can find any open shooter you leave open, is a very willing passer and always looks to make the right play. And now that Houston has stacked its roster with a bunch of tough defensive role players and floor spacers, he has the perfect fit around him to totally maximize his talents and game.
a D'antoni coached team consisting of three point shooting in 8 out of 10 possessions has a maximum ceiling of WCF IMO

Doncic is more talented than Bogdan. He's also 6 years younger. If it ever came down to it, Bogdanovic could always come off the bench. However, the true fit would be questioned between Fox and Doncic. I don't think Fox compliments Doncic at all. Ball dominant PG who can't shoot.

a D'antoni coached team consisting of three point shooting in 8 out of 10 possessions has a maximum ceiling of WCF IMO
I mean... no

This Houston team has a legitimate chance to topple the Warriors. They're off to one of the GOAT starts of any team in NBA history in the first 30 games and are absolutely pulverizing teams. That's with Chris Paul missing a ton of time too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I mean... no

This Houston team has a legitimate chance to topple the Warriors. They're off to one of the GOAT starts of any team in NBA history in the first 30 games and are absolutely pulverizing teams. That's with Chris Paul missing a ton of time too.
The Rockets are a regular season team until they prove otherwise. Do you not remember the disappearance of Harden in his elimination game? I know he has CP3 now but that doesn't necessarily make it a given that they get past Golden State, who I do think is beatable by the way but just not at the expense of this team.

Doncic is more talented than Bogdan. He's also 6 years younger. If it ever came down to it, Bogdanovic could always come off the bench. However, the true fit would be questioned between Fox and Doncic. I don't think Fox compliments Doncic at all. Ball dominant PG who can't shoot.

He has more potential as a on ball distributor but as you say it comes back down to Fox. I still can't see how one of Fox, Doncic, or Bogdan doesn't suffer and possibly even two. It's like what we're seeing with Oladipo in Indiana. He's now in the unquestioned role as the star without having to take a backseat to someone else or play off the ball. It totally changes things when a player goes to a team that fits them as much as they fit the team. I think you'd see the same type of regressive role for someone like Doncic with the Kings as they sit currently.

I am not impressed with this kid. Looks like a bigger version of Boggy.

He's not a great athlete. Speed is very questionable.

DeAndre Ayton is hands down the #1 pick. And I think I'd take Miles Bridges over Doncic.

I am not saying that definitively yet but Bridges can be an awesome player in the NBA.

Doncic.....meh.

I am not impressed with this kid. Looks like a bigger version of Boggy.

He's not a great athlete. Speed is very questionable.

DeAndre Ayton is hands down the #1 pick. And I think I'd take Miles Bridges over Doncic.

I am not saying that definitively yet but Bridges can be an awesome player in the NBA.

Doncic.....meh.
You're too down on Doncic. Doncic is better than Bogadn. He's a better ball handler, passer, playmaker, and facilitator. He can actually play PG. He's also bigger than Bogdan and can potential play SF.

Athleticism is the only question mark in his game. Aside from that, he's everything you want in a basketball and franchise player. Too good to pass up.

I don't think Bridges' potential is as high as Doncic. Bridges is an limited as a ball handler and shot creator. For as athletic as he can be, he doesn't use it at all to attack the rim. Defensively, he has a much better outlook than Doncic, but I don't see enough offensive appeal from Bridges to put him over Doncic right now.

I don't see any issue whatsoever having good Ball handlers/Willing passers with high BBIQ at PG/SG/SF.

I don't see any issue whatsoever having good Ball handlers/Willing passers with high BBIQ at PG/SG/SF.
In 2017 if you don’t than your team won’t be good that simple.

Oh people comparing Bogdan to Doncic need to stop Doncic is worlds better and bigger. We see how good Bogdan is at the pick and roll well Doncic is way better than him at it kids elite. Also Doncic would fit perfect with Bogdan imagine the easy buckets for wcs. Doncic will be a 20-6-5 type of guy he is legit

The whole point is that how well it works depends on your expectations of the individual performer. Putting someone like Doncic off the ball won't be terrible, but you can't expect him to live up to his peak expectations doing it either. Look at Fox at the moment as an example.

I haven't seen much of him but what I have seen of Doncic is not all that. He doesn't jump off the screen. Just initial impressions.

Look, the #1 pick is DeAndre Ayton. He might be the best prospect since LeBron James. He can come into the league next year and put up 18 / 12 / 4. He's that good.

I cannot overstate enough that DeAndre Ayton is phenomenal! The idea that there would be a debate between Doncic and Atyton at this point is ridiculous.

I would put Miles Bridges ahead of Doncic based on the limited amount of video I have watched.

You know who Mile Bridges reminds me of with his combination of power and range on his shot.....James Harden.

Don't get it confused, I am not saying Bridges is the next Harden, I am saying his combination of power attacking the rim to go with a perimeter game is Harden-esque.

That kid Bagley Jr is good but he is going to take a while whereas Bridges can come in next year and be very good.

I am not sure if he's 6'6 or 6'8 but if Bridges is a legit 6'8" (and can defend power forward spot) then watch out he can terrorize the league.

Probably needs to tighten his handles and improve shot selection but I have to see more of him.

You know, the thing about Luka is... he really reminds me of the starting PG version of James Harden we've seen since D'Antoni took over in Houston. He doesn't play fast but he's so in control of the ball and where he's trying to go and where his teammates are that he doesn't need to play fast. And looking at what James Harden is doing to the league this year, well it makes me question whether "he's just a scorer" is a valid criticism any more. Does Houston care all that much if James is taking it easy on defense when he's dominating games like that? I seriously doubt it. My preference in the draft has been for two-way players or dominant bigs but it's become impossible to ignore the way the league is currently being dominated by guards and wings who are capable of creating off the bounce. And isn't a complete offensive wrecking machine like James Harden more valuable than a guy who's going to be above-average on both ends but isn't ever going to lead a team? I don't know really. It's an open question. In the past I've always preached defense-first and balanced scoring loads instead of superstars but James Harden and Steph Curry have forced me to question everything I thought I knew about basketball.

What I'm trying to say is that it would be a hard choice for me right now between Luka and DeAndre at the top of the draft. There are strong arguments to be made for both of them. And when you're looking at a generational kind of talent, the whole concept of "best fit" goes right out the window. I've vacillated a bit on putting Doncic at #1 because of the whole "white guys can't play defense bias" -- just being honest -- but I think Harden has finally broken me down. We all mocked him for his complete lack of defensive intensity but it looks like he's got the last laugh. I still don't quite get how he does it, but I'm trying to understand. If you have the size, ball skills, vision, toughness, and competitive edge to score 30 a game and account for another 20 or so points in assisted baskets, what else is there to say? That is the game of basketball.

Enough about Harden though. Doncic is legit. If you could buy stock in a prospect I'd be all in. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do in the NBA next year, whichever team he ends up on.

Doncic and Ayton do NOT belong in the same sentence. A lot of what Doncic is doing over there will not work in the NBA.

Ayton is a transcendent talent. The guys is frigging unbelievable. Doncic is a mediocre athlete with great instincts for the game a la Boggy.

I cannot take seriously anyone weighing in on 2018 who does not recognize Ayton for who he can potentially be: borderline GOAT. :)

I find it interesting too you find similarity between Doncic and Harden. Miles Bridges is the college prospect with the Harden-esque game.

Harden bullies his way to the rim, plays through contact, has spring at the rim and he has a sweet touch and creates separation off the bounce.

These are traits Bridges has without the refinement. I don't see these traits in Doncic. He's not as physical. He's not as bouncy. What's all the fuss about?

Lonzo Bust showed the same glaring weaknesses at UCLA and everything I said about him at the time has come to fruition (though at least he is using his end-to-end speed a little more lately FWIW.)

Fans on this site and 90% of analysts were falling all over themselves to proclaim Lonzo Bust at the ROY. That hype train has left the station! With Doncic, I can see the same collective delusion occurring again.

The great equalizer is shooting. Is he going to take the NBA by storm like Jason Tatum and shooting 50% on 3s?!?

Well if he does that then prospects change, just like if Lonzo Bust remakes his shot and makes 40% instead of 30% he can become more than the next Austin Rivers.

This is not necessarily a criticism of Doncic but I do think fans need to temper their enthusiasm. He's not all that.

Doncic and Ayton do NOT belong in the same sentence. A lot of what Doncic is doing over there will not work in the NBA.

Ayton is a transcendent talent. The guys is frigging unbelievable. Doncic is a mediocre athlete with great instincts for the game a la Boggy.

I cannot take seriously anyone weighing in on 2018 who does not recognize Ayton for who he can potentially be: borderline GOAT. :)

I find it interesting too you find similarity between Doncic and Harden. Miles Bridges is the college prospect with the Harden-esque game.

Harden bullies his way to the rim, plays through contact, has spring at the rim and he has a sweet touch and creates separation off the bounce.

These are traits Bridges has without the refinement. I don't see these traits in Doncic. He's not as physical. He's not as bouncy. What's all the fuss about?

Lonzo Bust showed the same glaring weaknesses at UCLA and everything I said about him at the time has come to fruition (though at least he is using his end-to-end speed a little more lately FWIW.)

Fans on this site and 90% of analysts were falling all over themselves to proclaim Lonzo Bust at the ROY. That hype train has left the station! With Doncic, I can see the same collective delusion occurring again.

The great equalizer is shooting. Is he going to take the NBA by storm like Jason Tatum and shooting 50% on 3s?!?

Well if he does that then prospects change, just like if Lonzo Bust remakes his shot and makes 40% instead of 30% he can become more than the next Austin Rivers.

This is not necessarily a criticism of Doncic but I do think fans need to temper their enthusiasm. He's not all that.
Haha it’s funny cause Ayton isn’t close to the prospect Doncic but you went further and put Lonzo in the same breath as Doncic. Smh everyone knew Lonzo was ass in half court Doncic is elite in half court. You should probably relax on Ayton you hype him up do a guy who is a mediocre defender and creator.

Actually don’t know if you were being serious

I’d be willing to give up a top 5 pick and Buddy to go to 1 for Doncic. Look how good Bogdan looks and Doncic is levels higher and younger than him. Plus a Bogdan and Doncic backcourt with WCS/Giles yes

Trae Young. Trae Young. Trae Young.

Do not care if the Kings drafted Mason and Fox. Trae Young. He is absolutely this eras NBA PG.
If Ayton and Bagley are off the board he is 100% my pick even over Doncic and Porter. Regardless of his potential size and defensive deficiencies he is the best shooting prospect to come into the NBA since Steph Curry. His range is limitless and his release is just as quick as Curry's. He's also a highly above average passer already. Passing on this guy because we have Fox and Mason is one of those things that comes back to haunt a franchise.

If Ayton and Bagley are off the board he is 100% my pick even over Doncic and Porter. Regardless of his potential size and defensive deficiencies he is the best shooting prospect to come into the NBA since Steph Curry. His range is limitless and his release is just as quick as Curry's. He's also a highly above average passer already. Passing on this guy because we have Fox and Mason is one of those things that comes back to haunt a franchise.
No taking Yoing over Doncic will haunt us for years and should have us downtown protesting. Dudes 18 and just posted a 20-8-10 bad game you know what he’d be doing playing at Oklahoma and not vs grown men.

Status
Not open for further replies.