Let's Make the Playoffs! & The State of the Opposition

We're only 2 games behind the Rockets, and closing fast.
It would only take 3-1 from Kings and 1-3 from Rockets to tie.

To be honest, I really don't see the Rockets as the competition - it's whether the Kings can overtake one of the Grizzlies or the Mavs, and I think one of them is due for a big downspell - they are both playing above their talent and it's likely just a matter of time before the Kings catch at least one of them, the way they are closing out games against solid competition.
Grizzlies won tonight, in case you're still chasing them o_O "just a matter of time", true maybe. Just that the time could be a few years, that's all :(

29.1.2016.jpg

I agree - with this stretch of 3 losses, the Kings have given up any reasonable chance at catching seeds 5 and 6.
Now they will be lucky to stay in reach of 7, and that's even IF they somehow fix the spectacularly defensive woes, unbefitting of a playoff squad.

It's really too bad - this team could have gone into the second round of the playoffs THIS year, but the entire organization's infighting and inability to fix their blatant mistakes (all around, including Cousins) has doomed them to a first-round loss or even worse, ANOTHER year of failing to make the playoffs.

I just don;t know what the hell this franchise is waiting for to become competitive.

The race for the #8 seed is really a race to 0.500.

I think the team that gets to 41 wins (Maybe 40 wins will do it) or 0.500 by April 13th gets the #8 seed.

SO, the Kings really need to go 21 Wins and 14 Losses (Maybe 20-15) in the remaining 35 games to make the playoffs. o_O

The Kings should make it their GOAL to get the 41 WINS mark and they will get the #8 or #7 seed. :eek:

There comes a point when teams stop worrying about everybody else, and focus only on what they themselves are doing. That is what differentiates real contenders (Warriors, Spurs) from the rest of the pack. This team needs to focus on fixing their flaws rather than hoping the opposition is bad enough to let them flounder into the postseason.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Really hard to he a playoff team with this defense. I'd be curious as to what is the worst defensive team to make the playoffs for a comparison.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Really hard to he a playoff team with this defense. I'd be curious as to what is the worst defensive team to make the playoffs for a comparison.
The first team that comes to mind are the 2006-2007 Warriors who allowed 106.9 PPG and that was good for last in the NBA and their season record was 42-40

I really don't think the Kings will make the playoffs this season. Reaching 38 wins would be a success. The team is two players away. If the Kings do make it to the playoffs it will be because Utah, Portland and Denver play VERY poorly in the last 20 games or so helping the Kings' chances. The Kings would then be annihilated in a sweep vs the Warriors or the Spurs. As we all know the team has been frustratingly inconsistent but I can say without a doubt that they're slowly turning the proverbial corner.

-Cheers.

Oh course they would be annihilated by the #1 seed. I and I'm sure many other would want to see one last post season in the final year at the old arena.

I really don't think the Kings will make the playoffs this season. Reaching 38 wins would be a success. The team is two players away. If the Kings do make it to the playoffs it will be because Utah, Portland and Denver play VERY poorly in the last 20 games or so helping the Kings' chances. The Kings would then be annihilated in a sweep vs the Warriors or the Spurs. As we all know the team has been frustratingly inconsistent but I can say without a doubt that they're slowly turning the proverbial corner.

-Cheers.
A coach who plays to his players strengths and a confident starting SG away from being really good.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I really don't think the Kings will make the playoffs this season. Reaching 38 wins would be a success. The team is two players away. If the Kings do make it to the playoffs it will be because Utah, Portland and Denver play VERY poorly in the last 20 games or so helping the Kings' chances.
I'm fascinated by the notion that people don't think that that's going to happen.

The Kings would then be annihilated in a sweep vs the Warriors or the Spurs.
As opposed to...? :confused:

I'm fascinated by the notion that people don't think that that's going to happen.
I don't fault people for that view. It's asking a lot for all three to falter down the stretch. Sure, they all have their warts. But it's certainly not unreasonable to expect a run from the Jazz, whose primary issues have been injury related.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Better to get swept than miss the playoffs for the bajillionth year in a row.

My optimism is ebbing. I think we end up just out of 8th.

Which hopefully leads to Karl getting fired. ..

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Better to get swept than miss the playoffs for the bajillionth year in a row.

My optimism is ebbing. I think we end up just out of 8th.

Which hopefully leads to Karl getting fired. ..
These two things would be ideal and realistic more than anything

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
These two things would be ideal and realistic more than anything
Au contraire. What would be ideal is if the Kings made the playoffs because future Hall of Fame Coach George Karl adjusted his style to match his players and everybody ended up on the same page, allowing Vlade to do his GM magic this summer with nothing else to worry about. That would be a win-win.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Au contraire. What would be ideal is if the Kings made the playoffs because future Hall of Fame Coach George Karl adjusted his style to match his players and everybody ended up on the same page, allowing Vlade to do his GM magic this summer with nothing else to worry about. That would be a win-win.
I guess he has three more months to adjust...if he took this long, will he at all?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I guess he has three more months to adjust...if he took this long, will he at all?
One can always hope. The mere fact he's giving WCS real minutes is already a step in the right direction. You know me - I am almost always optimistic. In this case, I don't think Karl is beyond hope...yet.