Let's Make the Playoffs! & The State of the Opposition

An interesting what-if:

If the Kings had simply won the games they should have won (instead of crapping all over the court) against the T-Wolves and the Wizards, as well as the Charlotte meltdown and one other (either Thunder or T-Wolves again), they would be tied for the FOURTH SEED right now with Dallas and the Clips!
yeah but out of an 82 game span every team has their integration of dumb losses and out of the blue upsets. I am much more worried about cousins theoretically breaking his toe than losing to the 76ers.. injuries are the real black swans.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Crap, minor bad break as our blizzard out here just caused the NBA to postpone the Jazz's game vs. the Wizards tomorrow. They are already playing tonight, so tomorrow would have been a back to back for them, sans Favors. It could end up being a far more favorable situation when they make it up.

Games to keep an eye on for tonight:

Jazz at Nets
Bucks at Rockets
Thunder at Mavs

I'm still holding out hope the Mavs start to fall off a bit. Jazz and Rockets probably both pick up wins tonight.

The clowns on KNBR were talking all kinds of **** today. Saying they are rooting for us to win so they can skip on through to the 2nd round. I can't wait to listen to these ***holes after we shock the world and knock them out of the first round.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The clowns on KNBR were talking all kinds of **** today. Saying they are rooting for us to win so they can skip on through to the 2nd round. I can't wait to listen to these ***holes after we shock the world and knock them out of the first round.
That sort of stuff would be dangerous around me. I'm not nice. I might "accidentally" hurt someone you need, and then wink at you on the way off the court.

As much as I hate to admit it, they are going to throttle any team they will face in the first round. It behooves the Kings to make a run for that 6th or 5th seed if they even want to think about getting to the 2nd round.

I'd like to make the playoffs before even thinking about the 2nd round. Making it would be a hell of an accomplishment for us and I would be thrilled!
Yep, lets make the playoffs first, then let the chips fall where they may.
For the first time in almost a decade I started following closely the Western conference standings, I forgot how fun it was. Too bad Nets lost to Jazz.

I

Im Still Ballin

Houston plays Dallas at home, then go on a road trip:
Jan. 25at New Orleans
Jan. 27at San Antonio
Jan. 29at Oklahoma City

There is a possibility of overtaking them if the Kings go 4-0 and Houston goes 0-4.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent.

Houston plays Dallas at home, then go on a road trip:
Jan. 25at New Orleans
Jan. 27at San Antonio
Jan. 29at Oklahoma City

There is a possibility of overtaking them if the Kings go 4-0 and Houston goes 0-4.
We're only 2 games behind the Rockets, and closing fast.
It would only take 3-1 from Kings and 1-3 from Rockets to tie.

To be honest, I really don't see the Rockets as the competition - it's whether the Kings can overtake one of the Grizzlies or the Mavs, and I think one of them is due for a big downspell - they are both playing above their talent and it's likely just a matter of time before the Kings catch at least one of them, the way they are closing out games against solid competition.

We're only 2 games behind the Rockets, and closing fast.
It would only take 3-1 from Kings and 1-3 from Rockets to tie.

To be honest, I really don't see the Rockets as the competition - it's whether the Kings can overtake one of the Grizzlies or the Mavs, and I think one of them is due for a big downspell - they are both playing above their talent and it's likely just a matter of time before the Kings catch at least one of them, the way they are closing out games against solid competition.
In Switzerland we would say "toi toi toi" = knock on wood... Yes the team looks much better, but lets see if they can keep up with it for a longer period of time, some stability.
For now, I'm quite satisfied with the 8th spot and if we manage to keep it until the all star break, I'm happy. Of course, "with the food comes the appetite" and later on the season I may start to gaze at those 5th-6th-7th spots as well. But let's first keep our good play for a few more games and not drop back to 9th again.

Thankfully the Mavs and Rockets play today. That means one of them will lose today.

Also, which 6-10 team plays the Spurs and Warriors the most in their remaining schedule? I'm gonna start researching that.

Only look at loss column when looking at standings. As of right now we are one back of Houston and three back of Dallas/Memphis. Dont know who I want to ein today from Houston or Dallas, either way we will make up ground on one of them after today. If we win that double OT in Dallas we are one game back of them as we speak.

Games against the Spurs
Kings x2
Houston x2
Dallas x2
Jazz x2
Memphis x2
Pelicans x3
Blazers x1

Games against Warriors

Grizzlies x2
Mavs x3
Blazers x3
Rockets x1
Jazz x2
Kings x0
Pelicans x1

Total against both teams

Kings x2
Rockets x3
Mavericks x5
Jazz x4
Grizzlies x4
Pelicans x4
Blazers x4

The Kings have the easiest road against those two teams. This could come back to help the Kings in a big way.