Lakers discussion

its funny how people are doing backflips over what bynum is doing right now.... he hasnt been doing it for the entire season its been like 7 games.... john salmons played like a all-star the first 7 games of the season with artest out... he's still just salmons he's not a future hall of famer, top 10 player in the league.... but because bynum does it he is the second coming of shaq? he isnt the focal point of the offense, he gets put packs and lobs for easy dunks... and its funny how in that same time span he's averaging damn near the same numbers as brad miller... slightly better but still... not by much....

if he has those same numbers for the remainer of the season then okay but damn people... bynum still isnt that good of a player...
It's body + upside + estimated potential. No one confuses Brad Miller or Shaq with Bynum.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
its funny how people are doing backflips over what bynum is doing right now.... he hasnt been doing it for the entire season its been like 7 games.... john salmons played like a all-star the first 7 games of the season with artest out... he's still just salmons he's not a future hall of famer, top 10 player in the league.... but because bynum does it he is the second coming of shaq? he isnt the focal point of the offense, he gets put packs and lobs for easy dunks... and its funny how in that same time span he's averaging damn near the same numbers as brad miller... slightly better but still... not by much....

if he has those same numbers for the remainer of the season then okay but damn people... bynum still isnt that good of a player...

Er...

He's 20 yrs old. 7'0" 285. And averaging 12pts 10rebs and 2blks in his breakout year (in a mere 29minutes a game too). There is NOTHING not to like about that. He may not be Shaq, but this is exactly what you look for out of a young big in his third year. Upside and growth and a major center for the future.

Without his past accomplishments, Amare would be in the same boat as Bynum. He did accomplish those because he is a phenomenal athlete. Bynum can't say the same, but he has tons of upside. Again, defensively, I believe Bynum is better. But I could be wrong... I'll bet on it though.
:confused:

Okay.

lakers loose!!!!!

and they look like fools doing it too...! unless anyone has a fetish for short shorts here... lolz...

they really went old school tonight... even down to the uniform fashion...

Er...

He's 20 yrs old. 7'0" 285. And averaging 12pts 10rebs and 2blks in his breakout year (in a mere 29minutes a game too). There is NOTHING not to like about that. He may not be Shaq, but this is exactly what you look for out of a young big in his third year. Upside and growth and a major center for the future.
Bynum actually went to my rival high school...he played against a lot of my friends. He went to the same school that the motorcycle accident Jason Williams did...St. Joesphs. The funny thing is when he was drafted, many people around town didn't even think he was worth the pick...they thought there was better talent on his team. He just wasn't that spectacular in high school and had quite an attitude. But Phil and the Lakers crew really found a diamond in the rough....he has more than exceeded my greatest expectations.

Bynum actually went to my rival high school...he played against a lot of my friends. He went to the same school that the motorcycle accident Jason Williams did...St. Joesphs. The funny thing is when he was drafted, many people around town didn't even think he was worth the pick...they thought there was better talent on his team. He just wasn't that spectacular in high school and had quite an attitude. But Phil and the Lakers crew really found a diamond in the rough....he has more than exceeded my greatest expectations.
thanks you that's very interesting. :)

The Celtics were the better team. Also, the young Lakers might have gotten too caught in the moment but that night, there was nothing they could have done to match the firepower of Boston. They lost to a better team. It shows how much more they have to improve to stand toe to toe to the elite. The Celtics are as good as advertised, the Lakers aren't yet.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
I can't believe that this thread exist but than again I couldn't believe that my dad is rooting for kobe and co these days. We watched the Boston game together where he was rooting for the lakers and well I wasn't;) and he got upset because I had too much fun. He then asked my why I hate lakers that much and my answer was very simple - because they are lakers. He didn't get it.

And - I still think that they won't get trough the first round because they suck

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can't believe that this thread exist but than again I couldn't believe that my dad is rooting for kobe and co these days. We watched the Boston game together where he was rooting for the lakers and well I wasn't;) and he got upset because I had too much fun. He then asked my why I hate lakers that much and my answer was very simple - because they are lakers. He didn't get it.

And - I still think that they won't get trough the first round because they suck
I'm not sure how long this thread will last but the Lakers are part of the NBA and they are showing remarkable improvement this year. If a few people want to discuss it, I'd much rather see it isolated in one thread and not sprinkled throughout the forum.

:p

Here are Bynum's starts since Kwame was injured. There are always exceptions, but patterns are emerging as the starts increase. He doesn't do well against teams that play good post denial or teams with a quick big who's respected by the refs.

He didn't do well in any of the 4 games against Utah and Boston. Boozer seems to know better than anyone how to draw fouls on him (running into him Malone style). He gets frustrated with quick fouls and doesn't seem to handle it well so far, he either gets cranky or passive. Otoh, if a team is not capable of defending the paint, he's a big problem considering they also have to worry about Kobe on the perimeter. Theus is going to have to zone him and have Miller stay near the arc on offense.

vs IND - 23, 13, 4 blocks, 3 fouls
vs PHI - 17, 16, 3 blocks, 0 fouls
vs BOS - 8, 4, 1 block, 6 fouls (2 in 1st)
vs UTA - 10, 9, 1 block, 4 fouls (2 in 1st, 1 at start of 2nd)
vs PHX - 28, 12, 2 blocks, 5 fouls (evenly spread)
at NYK - 13, 8, 2 blocks, 3 fouls
at PHI - 24, 11, 2 blocks, 2 fouls
at CLE - 17, 11, 2 blocks, 2 fouls
at CHI - 12, 10, 4 blocks, 4 fouls
vs LAC - 14, 9, 6 blocks, 4 fouls
at GSW - 17, 16, 1 block, 1 foul
vs SAS - 6, 11, 0 blocks, 2 fouls (ejected - tirade at ref)
vs GSW - 20, 11, 5 blocks, 0 fouls
vs ORL - 10, 6, 7 blocks, 3 fouls
at UTA - 8, 10, 2 blocks, 2 fouls
vs DEN - 12, 13, 1 block, 1 foul
vs SEA - 12, 10, 0 blocks, 4 fouls
vs NJN - 12, 13, 3 blocks, 3 fouls
at BOS - 4, 9, 1 block, 4 fouls
at MIL - 16, 13, 1 block, 4 fouls
at IND - 17, 10, 4 blocks, 5 fouls

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

my thing is how he's getting the points... he has slightly better numbers than Andris Biedrins who is horrible offensively... he just gets easy buckets... when he gets a fat check and is asked to be the go to guy hes gonna disappoint laker fans... not that him doing that would hurt my feelings but still... its kinda like last year when walton couldnt miss from 3pt range... for like the first couple of months he was top 5 in 3pt% then he hit a wall and went back to sucking....

As long as he helps the team win and he continues to improve I dont care how he gets his points. So far this season, his presence on the court has made the lakers a better team than last year and for that reason alone I am happy.

He may never turn out to be a continuation of the laker tradition of dominating big man, but time will tell.

As long as he continues to work hard and listen to Kareem I am confident he will turn out alright.

Besides this year with less starts, he has about the same numbers than veteran Kings Center Brad Miller and way better numbers than fellow number 10 pick Spencer Hawes.:cool:

(Hawes is a rookie I know and its kinda of an unfair comparison, but Bynum and Hawes are about the same age and were drafted in the same spot.)

my thing is how he's getting the points... he has slightly better numbers than Andris Biedrins who is horrible offensively... he just gets easy buckets... when he gets a fat check and is asked to be the go to guy hes gonna disappoint laker fans... not that him doing that would hurt my feelings but still... its kinda like last year when walton couldnt miss from 3pt range... for like the first couple of months he was top 5 in 3pt% then he hit a wall and went back to sucking....
He has more upside than Biedrins. I'm sure the Warriors would trade Biedrins for Bynum if the Lakers called in a heartbeat.

You are right and I dont know why the media is after Bynum, any idea

By the way Biedrins is one of my favourite players, he gets easy buckets cos he is there at the right place at the right time. He is asked to be the only rebounder and he get those offensive put backs, he plays hard on both ends though he knows that he is the fifth option on offense. I would take Biedrins on my team any time.

But that argument would go for anyone I think. Can Tony Parker create all this space on the lane if the other team didnt have to worry about Duncan and the three point shooters. Same with Manu, can he be that effective without Duncan, he showed he can in one game but then went back to his old ways when double teamed. Wade is showing that he cannot carry a team on his own when Shaq is not around, is he a legit superstar. Bron has been getting great numbers but his team is playing 500 ball, why cant he elevate his teammates if he is that good. Is Paul Pierce really good or is it because of ray and garnett that the team is winning

Some of these we will never know the answers and thats what is fun about time and fate

3 wins in a row vs. mediocre teams with an average of 21+ ppg in point differential. Last year and the years past, they would struggle vs. teams they should beat. Now, they are blowing them away. For a change... and after years of mediocrity, they are about to make some noise again. :D

3 wins in a row vs. mediocre teams with an average of 21+ ppg in point differential. Last year and the years past, they would struggle vs. teams they should beat. Now, they are blowing them away. For a change... and after years of mediocrity, they are about to make some noise again. :D
Lets not get ahead of ourselves futuristic, afterall these teams are mediocre to say the least. But Like you I like what I see, and I like the improvement.

If we beat Phoenix in about 10 days than I will really start to believe that this team might be able to play in San Antonio in May.

For a team that is the third youngest in the league, I must hand it to Mitch. He has made this rebuilding effort as painless as it could possibly be, it feels more like retooling than anything. But its not over till we get number 15.

Edit: Ok, Mitch traded Butler for Kwame and that was dumb. But the reasoning behinded at the time was not. imho.

He's getting better minutes than he was in the early part of the season.

I don't see a problem with him getting easy buckets. Teams are supposed to feed their center in the paint anyway. Setting a center up for a lob is no different than clearing a side for a guard to go 1:1.

He obv won't be a go-to guy til Kobe's gone. By that time, who knows where his development will be.

He's getting better minutes than he was in the early part of the season.

I don't see a problem with him getting easy buckets. Teams are supposed to feed their center in the paint anyway. Setting a center up for a lob is no different than clearing a side for a guard to go 1:1.

He obv won't be a go-to guy til Kobe's gone. By that time, who knows where his development will be.
I don't mean to speak for anyone else, but I think the point was that he's no Kareem, which is how people are pumping him up after a few good weeks of basketball.

He's showing promise, to be sure, but he still doesn't have a very polished offensive game, doesn't have the go-to post move that every good big man needs, and the majority of his production is coming off of his teammates work, not through any greatness of his.