Lakers discussion

Lakers vs. Celtics

The greatest rivalry in the history of the NBA. The Celtics have the best record in the league. The Lakers on the other hand are playing decent ball. It will be interesting to see how they fare vs. the scary Celtics. A win here could boost the confidence of the Lakers. A loss would show them how much they need to improve to stand up to the elite in the NBA. It should be a very nice game. Stay tuned.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um, what?

Why not just continue your Lakers discussion in the ongoing Laker thread? I'll make it easy for you... I'll merge the two and change the name.

We do NOT need separate threads for each Lakers game. We're friendly around here but not THAT friendly.

;)

You mean this isn't lakersfans.com? Right I'm a kings fan, but I'm also a young basketball player, and so I have great respect for Kobe and I love to watch him play. Hence, I watch laker games. Thats all from me.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I just have a question, why are the lakers so good ? :(

1) Kobe

2) people argued wiht me about this over the summer, but Derek Fisher was an important acquisition just as a stabilizing force. Its very similar to Beno's effect.

3) Kobe failed to chase off the big emerging center. We've seen what that type of inside/outside combination can produce in the past.

I don't agree. Miller is clearly having the better year. Lakers fans ought to wait until Bynum as played a solid half of the season before they open the better then Amare junk.

Miller has always been a good offensive big but defensively he isn't scaring anyone away from the rim.

1) Kobe

2) people argued wiht me about this over the summer, but Derek Fisher was an important acquisition just as a stabilizing force. Its very similar to Beno's effect.

3) Kobe failed to chase off the big emerging center. We've seen what that type of inside/outside combination can produce in the past.
This may not be a popular view here but the acquisition of Ariza made them a better defensive them, younger, and more athletic. He still needs a mid-range game but since his arrival, the Lakers have gotten better. Definitely not the main reason, but a contributor.

Speaking of Kobe, his trade demand has actually motivated a lot of the young players to work hard during the summer. Farmar, Turiaf, Sasha, and even Radmanovic are contributing. His trade demand has had a ripple effect on the work ethic and chemistry of the team. On the court, he is making them better by trusting them. If the Lakers keep winning, it will be very difficult to pass up Kobe as the MVP of the league. KG would be tough competition though...

i gotta admit the lakers are looking pretty good right now..... i thought they would be a disaster this year, and end up shipping kobe mid season.....

Thompson has always been a big brother type, he was to Vlade back in the day. I think he's speaking from his heart more than his head in regards to the Lakers, but then again, he may not be that far off. How many centers are better than Bynum if he keeps putting up 12/10 & 2? Plus .600 FG. No more than 10, if that many. Or maybe I'm giddy like Myc.
5 centers clearly better than Bynum:

Dwight
Yao
Chandler
Stoudemire
Kaman

other guys who may be better:
Shaq
Okur
Biedrins
Eddy Curry (but I'd take Bynum over him anyday. He only scores points because he is hard to move)
Ben Wallace

Last edited:
Speaking of Kobe, his trade demand has actually motivated a lot of the young players to work hard during the summer. Farmar, Turiaf, Sasha, and even Radmanovic are contributing. His trade demand has had a ripple effect on the work ethic and chemistry of the team. On the court, he is making them better by trusting them. If the Lakers keep winning, it will be very difficult to pass up Kobe as the MVP of the league. KG would be tough competition though...
If the Cavs make playoffs, Lebron just has to get it. I dont see anyway he doesn't.

5 centers clearly better than Bynum:

Dwight
Yao
Chandler
Stoudemire
Kaman

other guys who may be better:
Shaq
Okur
Biedrins
Eddy Curry (but I'd take Bynum over him anyday. He only scores points because he is hard to move)
Ben Wallace
I'd be incensed if Bynum were traded for Chandler or the others. No contest on that one.

The Cavs just making the playoffs won't get it done. He has to win more games. In terms of KG, it could be argued that he has a lot of support and that's why they are winning many games. Kobe has no all-star in his team other than himself. If the Lakers win 54 games, it will be difficult to pass him up. That's a big if though.

The Cavs just making the playoffs won't get it done. He has to win more games. In terms of KG, it could be argued that he has a lot of support and that's why they are winning many games. Kobe has no all-star in his team other than himself. If the Lakers win 54 games, it will be difficult to pass him up. That's a big if though.
Kobe's supporting cast is quite a bit better than Lebrons. And right now it shows. KG has two other top 20 players the play with, so I wouldn't give him it. He may be the most valuable to his team, but if he goes out for 7-10 games with an injury, the Celts would probably still be .500. If Lebron went out (which he did for 6 games) the Cavs might win one game. The difference is alarming. I will say he shoulod have to get 6th or better to win the MVP though. I dont like the idea that the best player on the best team gets the award all the time.

Thompson has always been a big brother type, he was to Vlade back in the day. I think he's speaking from his heart more than his head in regards to the Lakers, but then again, he may not be that far off. How many centers are better than Bynum if he keeps putting up 12/10 & 2? Plus .600 FG. No more than 10, if that many. Or maybe I'm giddy like Myc.
Mychal Thompson is definitely a homer, which (along with annoying-*** Vic the Brick) is why I don't listen to Loose Cannons. But that's not my point. I don't think many people really feel that Bynum is a top five center in the NBA ... yet.

My point was that Amare Stoudemire's reputation is not the reason why he's considered a better center than Bynum. If Stoudemire played on almost any other team in the NBA, he would be the focal point of the offense. (Bynum gets all his points off of put-backs and lobs; his offensive game has not developed yet.) I think Amare is more athletic, is slightly more disciplined on defense, though he gets into foul trouble in almost every game also, and is more aggressive with the ball.

It's not a matter of 'Amare only getting the nod because of his track record.' That's all I'm saying, is that Amare is clearly the superior player, and I hope he gets vindicated from the Phoenix Suns stupid system pretty soon.

Considering 6th in the East would still be about slightly above 0.500, it will be difficult for him to win it. But he should win it one day... he's that good.

Mychal Thompson is definitely a homer, which (along with annoying-*** Vic the Brick) is why I don't listen to Loose Cannons. But that's not my point. I don't think many people really feel that Bynum is a top five center in the NBA ... yet.

My point was that Amare Stoudemire's reputation is not the reason why he's considered a better center than Bynum. If Stoudemire played on almost any other team in the NBA, he would be the focal point of the offense. (Bynum gets all his points off of put-backs and lobs; his offensive game has not developed yet.) I think Amare is more athletic, is slightly more disciplined on defense, though he gets into foul trouble in almost every game also, and is more aggressive with the ball.

It's not a matter of 'Amare only getting the nod because of his track record.' That's all I'm saying, is that Amare is clearly the superior player, and I hope he gets vindicated from the Phoenix Suns stupid system pretty soon.
Offensively, he gets the nod. Defensively, which is what the Lakers primarily require from their big, I'd take Bynum over Amare. But that's just me.

:: Superman raises hand ::

I don't know exactly how our "argument" went, but I was one who disagreed with you on the importance of Derek Fisher signing with the Lakers. I don't think he's the primary reason they're playing so well right now, but in that Christmas day game, he pushed them through the second quarter almost single-handedly. Looked dang good doing it, too. I can see his impact really being felt during the playoffs, in a game when the Lakers would previously have hit a cold streak that would have landed them 10 points behind the Suns. And now Fisher could potentially be the piece they needed to keep up with the Suns. They're clearly the better defensive team.

This just sucks.

When I said track record, I meant what he has accomplished in his young career. If accomplishment is not a good enough to use and an indication about the distinction of their careers, and I don't have time to delve into stats and what not, I don't know what else can be used.

:: Superman raises hand ::

I don't know exactly how our "argument" went, but I was one who disagreed with you on the importance of Derek Fisher signing with the Lakers. I don't think he's the primary reason they're playing so well right now, but in that Christmas day game, he pushed them through the second quarter almost single-handedly. Looked dang good doing it, too. I can see his impact really being felt during the playoffs, in a game when the Lakers would previously have hit a cold streak that would have landed them 10 points behind the Suns. And now Fisher could potentially be the piece they needed to keep up with the Suns. They're clearly the better defensive team.

This just sucks.
If there is one player who is responsible for their success, it's obviously Kobe. Fisher is helping out but so are the rest of the Lakers.

Last edited:
When I said track record, I meant what he has accomplished in his young career. If accomplishment is not a good enough to use and an indication about the distinction of their careers, and I don't have time to delve into stats and what not, I don't know what else can be used.
You said Amare gets the nod because of his track record. I say Amare gets the nod because he's a better player, and his track record proves that. If we're saying the same thing, then fine. But I am just making it clear that Amare does not get the nod simply because of his past accomplishments.

Without his past accomplishments, Amare would be in the same boat as Bynum. He did accomplish those because he is a phenomenal athlete. Bynum can't say the same, but he has tons of upside. Again, defensively, I believe Bynum is better. But I could be wrong... I'll bet on it though.

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

its funny how people are doing backflips over what bynum is doing right now.... he hasnt been doing it for the entire season its been like 7 games.... john salmons played like a all-star the first 7 games of the season with artest out... he's still just salmons he's not a future hall of famer, top 10 player in the league.... but because bynum does it he is the second coming of shaq? he isnt the focal point of the offense, he gets put packs and lobs for easy dunks... and its funny how in that same time span he's averaging damn near the same numbers as brad miller... slightly better but still... not by much....

if he has those same numbers for the remainer of the season then okay but damn people... bynum still isnt that good of a player...