Kings waive Tolliver (merged)

Not sure what to make of this move.

I expected AT to stick around as a heady vet that takes youngsters under his wings and helps them become good players in the league.

There has to be some sort of plan for freeing up cap space...take on salary and still have room for max deal?

I fail to see why the move would be for free agency, as who would come here now? Maybe you could throw overpaid money at Gallinari or Hill or something. The restricted guys seem unremarkable (in range).

Most likely to take contracts IMO

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Precursor move to some draft day wheeling and dealing for sure!

I think we take BPA at 5 (hopefully Fox, but I won't get my hopes up), but if Vlade can get us another pick by absorbing salary? Who knows what he'll pull! 10 + pick ??? = ???!!!

Last year's draft day was pretty entertaining with all the trades (nevermind the Papa G angst), I'm hoping Vlade hits the phones again. The more cap space we have going in, the better!

Good luck out there AT! Do yourself a favor and try to land a gig on the Cavs or Warriors! :D

Precursor move to some draft day wheeling and dealing for sure!

I think we take BPA at 5 (hopefully Fox, but I won't get my hopes up), but if Vlade can get us another pick by absorbing salary? Who knows what he'll pull! 10 + pick ??? = ???!!!

Last year's draft day was pretty entertaining with all the trades (nevermind the Papa G angst), I'm hoping Vlade hits the phones again. The more cap space we have going in, the better!

Good luck out there AT! Do yourself a favor and try to land a gig on the Cavs or Warriors! :D
Blasphemy! Warriors are the devil

This leaves the Kings thin on the front line. Willie, Koufos and Bam Bam at the 5. Skal and Willie at the 4. No one at the 3 over 6' 6". The Kings will need to add some Forwards.

Good luck AT, hope you catch on with a Playoff team.

If that's the direction, any ideas on who the Kings might target?
There's players available that might interest us, and with how unpredictable our team is we could always try and splash the cash on players because we've got money to burn. Whether the FAs will consider us or not, well, I'll leave that one for another day.

RFA
Otto Porter could be a possibility. He's a solid all round player that has improved each year. This season his 3pt shooting has improved and was knocking them down at a good rate. It's likely that Washington match any offer, but they might also decide to save their money for someone else which could allow Porter to leave. If he came here he would be a potential solution at the SF, probably not a 20 a night guy, but certainly a solid option for our line up and if we do go PG at five and don't land a SF at ten (I doubt Isaac falls that far) then adding Porter would be a good move.

I'm not convinced we will, or that we should, but Nerlens Noel is one of the more talked about RFAs as well. He's wanting a big pay day and I'd be surprised if the Mavericks let him go, but he's another one of those players that could get a big offer from someone. Is he better and offer more upside than Willie? Perhaps, but whether it's enough to warrant a huge contract is debatable.

UFA
Robert Covington could draw interest from us. He would be another of those solid SFs that could start for us if we use our fifth pick on a PG and our tenth pick is not a small forward. There's also the possibility we put money on the table for Rudy Gay to return as well if that small forward doesn't fall on our lap during the draft.

There's a number of point guards in case we don't manage to land ours at five or ten, so we could take a risk on Patty Mills; or go after a veteran like Jeff Teague, Jrue Holiday, George Hill (etc) though they might want to avoid rebuilding teams, however money does talk; or we could just bring back Collison and/or Lawson, we could do worse than have two veterans at the PG position while the other positions are held by rookies, second and third year players.

There's players available that might interest us, and with how unpredictable our team is we could always try and splash the cash on players because we've got money to burn. Whether the FAs will consider us or not, well, I'll leave that one for another day.

RFA
Otto Porter could be a possibility. He's a solid all round player that has improved each year. This season his 3pt shooting has improved and was knocking them down at a good rate. It's likely that Washington match any offer, but they might also decide to save their money for someone else which could allow Porter to leave. If he came here he would be a potential solution at the SF, probably not a 20 a night guy, but certainly a solid option for our line up and if we do go PG at five and don't land a SF at ten (I doubt Isaac falls that far) then adding Porter would be a good move.

I'm not convinced we will, or that we should, but Nerlens Noel is one of the more talked about RFAs as well. He's wanting a big pay day and I'd be surprised if the Mavericks let him go, but he's another one of those players that could get a big offer from someone. Is he better and offer more upside than Willie? Perhaps, but whether it's enough to warrant a huge contract is debatable.

UFA
Robert Covington could draw interest from us. He would be another of those solid SFs that could start for us if we use our fifth pick on a PG and our tenth pick is not a small forward. There's also the possibility we put money on the table for Rudy Gay to return as well if that small forward doesn't fall on our lap during the draft.

There's a number of point guards in case we don't manage to land ours at five or ten, so we could take a risk on Patty Mills; or go after a veteran like Jeff Teague, Jrue Holiday, George Hill (etc) though they might want to avoid rebuilding teams, however money does talk; or we could just bring back Collison and/or Lawson, we could do worse than have two veterans at the PG position while the other positions are held by rookies, second and third year players.
Porter would be a jackpot scenario for the Kings, Wiz will match though... If Fox is the pick at 5, Patty Mills would be an excellent backup IMO.

There was a report the other day that Noel's gonna get like $29MM per season.. Too pricey..

Joe Ingles!! (Shabazz Muhammad could be interesting too, his game isn't nearly as well rounded but could provide a nice scoring punch.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Porter would be a jackpot scenario for the Kings, Wiz will match though... If Fox is the pick at 5, Patty Mills would be an excellent backup IMO.

There was a report the other day that Noel's gonna get like $29MM per season.. Too pricey..

Joe Ingles!! (Shabazz Muhammad could be interesting too, his game isn't nearly as well rounded but could provide a nice scoring punch.
Not so sure. They're going to need the cap space to bring Boogie over next summer.

I do like Shabazz as a potential signing. He could provide a scoring punch to the starting line up, though the concern would be his defense. Might even come at a decent price point as well.

Agreed on Noel, at that price point he's very pricey, though would his signature here in Sacramento be considered as us making a big splash? Or would it be considered as another questionable move? Hard to say in my book. Good player, but it's hard for me to justify us signing him at that price point, though I wouldn't complain if we did.

Shabazz is not a good player at all. He shows flashes and seems to get up for big games on TNT but overall he's actually a pretty bad player.

I wouldn't sign Noel at that price. He's a solid player but he's not a franchise player and that's franchise money. He's a nice piece to add but he's not a guy that has the skills to turn a team around.

I just don't want even more youth on this team. We need good culture vets like Tolliver. I have doubts about the vet-ness of someone like Afflalo

Would you rather have missed out on a player because we didn't have the roster room to bring in prospect because of Tolliver?
That's a hard question. I have lots of faith in the youth we have right now because they are solid. If we put them in the right environment its highly likely that at least one of them will become a star, especially Buddy. I would rather we invest in proven young players than unproven young players.

Not so sure. They're going to need the cap space to bring Boogie over next summer.
As a Kings fan I hope you're right. Porter and Fox and a #10 pick and some more signings would completely revolutionize this team, and quickly, I'm sure.

As a realist I can't possibly see how the Wiz would justify not matching. They need to appease John Wall at all costs and clearly their perimeter play is far from the problem, it's the bigs... Porter is an ultimate 3-n-d type

Shabazz is not a good player at all. He shows flashes and seems to get up for big games on TNT but overall he's actually a pretty bad player.

I wouldn't sign Noel at that price. He's a solid player but he's not a franchise player and that's franchise money. He's a nice piece to add but he's not a guy that has the skills to turn a team around.
Shabazz has some upside still, with the proper motivation and opportunity he could really find his niche. If not Shabazz, CJ Miles could actually be a nice look, he's a legit dead-eye shooter these days. Depends on the price/years

Noel easily has the potential to fulfill a big deal like that. I'm not sure if the timing and fit are right though. One of the things that goes understated about him is his cat-like ability to drop low very quickly, it borders on the word unique which I hate to throw around, and allows him to get steals other bigs could only dream of.

Robert Covenington is in the running for most undervalued player in the league. I think the kings should go after him with a max deal.

Who would you rather have Covington or Porter?

Robert Covenington is in the running for most undervalued player in the league. I think the kings should go after him with a max deal.

Porter looked pretty good on the Wizards from the playoffs games I saw, but not with a huge contract. But lets back up -
and talk about a max deal under the current collective bargaining agreement. Max deals are becoming prohibitively expensive for teams to give most any player, including stars - I've read 50 million per season soon as max deal - that's like 30-40% of the team cap space one player - huge bite to choke on if the player gets injured or goes downhill..... New contracts are ludicrous. I dont know where teams are going to leverage that money to say anything of turn a profit....ticket prices are already getting steeper. I've got to give Vlade credit for "balancing the Kings checkbook". At some point though, the talent must be paid to keep the show going. The Bling culture is Blingy. I dont even know which team Robert Covenington plays for, and I'll admit I don't much watch regular season games anymore as I don't have the time. At some point the Kings will have to wade into the money-pit though.

Ok, Covington is a nice and undervalued player, but a max deal? Come on... you give a max deal to a star, a player who can change your team. Covington is not that kind of player.

I hope so.....Tolliver was worth his salary more than Afflalo I think.
Affalo is on his way out too. It's just we can send his 12.5M salary to another team so we can take a larger contract, then the team that acquires Affalo can waive him with only a 2M obligation.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

why in the world would you give a role player a max contract? that's ludicrous. Let's aim higher than Robert Covington. Porter isn't going anywhere, the Wizards are in win now mode and Porter is a essential part of their core.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Of course I'd love Porter, but I think the Wiz will match any offer sheet he signs. However, I have Joe Ingles at the top of my list as well, and I think he's very doable. I also like Bojan Bogdanovic, who is only 27 yr's old. I think both Bog's and Ingles can be pried away from their teams. If you after a young player with some upside, we might go after Troy Williams who is only 22 yr's old. Lastly, I still think Alex Poythress can play in the league, and I believe he's an unrestricted free agent. Could be wrong about that.

If you want to replace Tolliver with a younger player, why not Jamychal Green. I think he has a lot of upside. Or, if you want to go a little older, there's Amir Johnson, who I believe has some connections with our new VP of basketball operations, Scott Perry.