Kings waive Tolliver (merged)

So we should have 53-55 Million in cap space to work with depending on the final Salary Cap numbers. I hope we are smart with that space. Having 3-7 guys requiring extensions all within two years of each other is going to be brutal.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't see what Tolliver has to be upset about. He signed the contract, he knew the buyout was there and why it was there. He's getting 2 million dollars from us this year instead of 8 but he can now sign with another team for more guaranteed money. His numbers were all up this year and he's still a productive veteran so he should be able to find a roster spot somewhere. Obviously we're not a veteran team anymore with Rudy and DeMarcus gone and most likely both of our PGs leaving too. We're in a full rebuild now so the priorities have changed and we need roster spots for all the draft picks we're stashing.

Because we're in an awkward spot at #10 right where the high-end talent disappears into a gray area of longshots and potential journeymen, I can easily see us ending up with 4 players on draft day if we work out a trade -- the #5 pick, the #34 pick, and whoever we trade the #10 pick for plus a lower first rounder. Add that to the 4 players we got last year (5 if you count Isaiah Cousins) and Buddy, Kosta, GT, and Willie and we're up to 12/13 players before free agency even begins. Tolliver is a good influence for the young players but so are Kosta and GT. That's just life in the NBA, situations change year to year. I don't know if he wrote that post or not but there I think a good point was made by whoever wrote it, about continuity: you don't build a culture without some semblance of it and that's going to be a real issue for us soon. It looks like we are putting together a core group of keepers though, Tolliver just wasn't considered part of it.

I thought highly of AT and whether he is or isn't upset won't change my opinion. Never count another mans money.

What interests me more is if there was a specific purpose to cutting him, or just freeing up a roster spot in general. It is not like we are stacked at the 4 or 3 spots, unless you count playing Bogdan (not under contract yet) , Richardson or Temple at the 3. Still, who is the back up 4?

Makes it seem plausible a deal is in the works that would land a 4 in some capacity.