[Game] Kings Vs. Thunder, Sunday May 9th, 7 PM Pacific (10 PM Eastern)

We don't technically have to worry about not having the ability to match - we can use the MLE to match, and because TD has only two years in the league, no team can give him an offer sheet that exceeds the MLE.

Obviously the question is whether another team gives him an offer big enough we don't WANT to match, but that's a different story. Honestly I have no clue how big of an offer he'll get, and I have no clue how intent we're going to be to get him back considering right now he's probably the #5 guard on our depth chart behind Fox, Buddy, Haliburton, and Delon - and you can't say we won't end up drafting a guard!
Pardon my ignorance, but we will have to use the MLE to re-sign Holmes too or is that a different thing entirely?

Pardon my ignorance, but we will have to use the MLE to re-sign Holmes too or is that a different thing entirely?
We have "early Bird rights" which is 105% of the average salary or something like that. Which is more or less about the same as the MLE. However apparently we already have a small portion of our MLE tied up in Metu.

For the pro play-in crowd the Spurs have lost 6 of 7 and have a brutal remaining 5 games. They could easily lose 4 of them. Could we pull off the unthinkable with wins against OKC, Memphis, Memphis and I assume a resting Utah team?

If this happens that would be a pretty epic collapse for a Pops lead squad.

Entirely difference thing, since we'll be operating (more than likely) as an over the cap team.

I think the most logical plan we're hoping for is to resign Holmes with his early bird rights to his max (ends up around 4 years/47.5 mil) that starts around 10 mil for next season. Then use some combo of the exceptions to keep Harkless/Davis while adding another quality rotation player. So;

Fox
Hali
Buddy
Barnes
Holmes

___
Wright
Harkless
Davis
Bagley
MLE
FRP
Jones
Metu

Would be my best guess at the rotation next year.

For the pro play-in crowd the Spurs have lost 6 of 7 and have a brutal remaining 5 games. They could easily lose 4 of them. Could we pull off the unthinkable with wins against OKC, Memphis, Memphis and I assume a resting Utah team?

I'm not "pro play-in" but the franchise is so I'd say we'll probably win at least 3 of those 4.
I just hope there's some lotto karma for playing honest.

I suppose some posters might be concerned we won’t have the cash to match? I know very little about the cap so not sure how that could play out
KINGS have one of the lowest payrolls in the league this season. Although Swipa’s max contract kicks in next season, so that surely will change things.

As other’s pointed out, the rules are structured to help the KINGS to keep him. The only questions are, does McNair value him and will they spend the extra $$$ to keep him?

I sure hope they do.

I wonder what kind of package it would take to get Poku (Bagley +)the guy should not be in tbe NBA currently but developing in Europe if he were playing for any serious team but the talent is absurd. At worst he's a 7 foot Kyle Anderson at best..............Along with Nikola Jovic (Not Jokic) they are the next great hopes after Jokic is past his prime for Serbia.

I wonder what kind of package it would take to get Poku (Bagley +)the guy should not be in tbe NBA currently but developing in Europe if he were playing for any serious team but the talent is absurd. At worst he's a 7 foot Kyle Anderson at best..............Along with Nikola Jovic (Not Jokic) they are the next great hopes after Jokic is past his prime for Serbia.
I don’t think OkC would trade Poku unless it was part of a package deal for a legit plus player. I really like his talent and think he will be fun to watch develop. OkC has the luxury of being patient with him too so it’s an ideal situation.

Last edited:

if only it were 7 of the last 7. theres a chance, but with that tie breaker, our chances are slim to none. but i guess miracles can happen

I don’t think OkC would trade Poku unless it was part of a package deal for a legit plus player. I really like his talent and think he will be fun to watch develop. OkC has the luxury of being patient with him too so it’s an ideal situation.
Yeah I doubt OKC flips any young players for the next few years. My guess is they cash in some of their draft capital, find which dudes hit, then package the excess stuff for an established star to make a serious playoff run. They're most likely gonna wait though to find out who those guys next to SGA are gonna be.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We have "early Bird rights" which is 105% of the average salary or something like that. Which is more or less about the same as the MLE. However apparently we already have a small portion of our MLE tied up in Metu.
We may have a small portion of this year's MLE tied up in Metu, but next year's (i.e. summer 2021's) MLE is certainly not involved. When a team uses an exception to sign a player to a multi-year contract, subsequent years become regular team salary and do not require additional exceptions.

We may have a small portion of this year's MLE tied up in Metu, but next year's (i.e. summer 2021's) MLE is certainly not involved. When a team uses an exception to sign a player to a multi-year contract, subsequent years become regular team salary and do not require additional exceptions.
I think you posted that number incidentally in a past post, perhaps I misread.

Most ridiculous thing about the current NBA lottery system is that it just incentivizes more org's to surrender completely rather than uphold the integrity and spirit of competition. It does the exact opposite of what it was intended to do. So you end up with nonsense like OKC's team.

Not only that, but instead of one or two boneheaded teams intentionally losing for the top pick, now you've got at handful vying for the top 3 lottery odds.

The NBA was much better off with the initial lottery system where ALL non-playoff teams held the same odds.

I know the downside to that was Orlando ending up with #1 in 1993 after barely missing the postseason at 41-41.

But that's still a better situation than what they have going on now. Sure, late in the season you might have a team or two deciding that missing out on #7 or #8 to get in the lottery is better than facing one of the top 2 seeds but that would still be better than season long or 2nd half tanking by numerous teams.

The system they've developed over the past 25 years is just ridiculously stupid.

Most ridiculous thing about the current NBA lottery system is that it just incentivizes more org's to surrender completely rather than uphold the integrity and spirit of competition. It does the exact opposite of what it was intended to do. So you end up with nonsense like OKC's team.

Not only that, but instead of one or two boneheaded teams intentionally losing for the top pick, now you've got at handful vying for the top 3 lottery odds.

The NBA was much better off with the initial lottery system where ALL non-playoff teams held the same odds.

I know the downside to that was Orlando ending up with #1 in 1993 after barely missing the postseason at 41-41.

But that's still a better situation than what they have going on now. Sure, late in the season you might have a team or two deciding that missing out on #7 or #8 to get in the lottery is better than facing one of the top 2 seeds but that would still be better than season long or 2nd half tanking by numerous teams.

The system they've developed over the past 25 years is just ridiculously stupid.
One slight modification they could make to this is the worst 12 teams have the same odds with the 13th and 14 teams having slightly worse odds. That might prevent an 8th seed from “tanking” to get to 12th.

One slight modification they could make to this is the worst 12 teams have the same odds with the 13th and 14 teams having slightly worse odds. That might prevent an 8th seed from “tanking” to get to 12th.
I’m assuming they keep the play-in, or some close equivalent, and was thinking it would make sense to just order the play in teams by record for picks 11-14, and have the ten worst teams all with equal odds for picks 1-10.

The current system is well intended, but for every team who falls on bad fortune, there seems to be more teams who have intentionally chosen not to compete this season.

really if you are that concerned you need to move away from the lottery and have teams not in the play-offs ranked by the commissioner for draft order. In that case, the kings would well be in the top 5. Only Houston, Detroit, Cleveland are probably worse.

really if you are that concerned you need to move away from the lottery and have teams not in the play-offs ranked by the commissioner for draft order. In that case, the kings would well be in the top 5. Only Houston, Detroit, Cleveland are probably worse.

You think Minnesota, Orlando and OkC are better than the Kings?

I’m totally onboard with giving all the non Playoff team or most of them equal odds. Fans could go back to rooting for their team again. I find it pretty draining to watch games hoping for a loss.

I’m assuming they keep the play-in, or some close equivalent, and was thinking it would make sense to just order the play in teams by record for picks 11-14, and have the ten worst teams all with equal odds for picks 1-10.

The current system is well intended, but for every team who falls on bad fortune, there seems to be more teams who have intentionally chosen not to compete this season.
I have mixed feelings on the play in too. On one hand it’s nice to have a chance to get in since it’s so hard to make the playoffs in the NBA, on the other, wouldn’t it suck if the kings made the 8th seed finally only to have a tough game and get knocked out? I wonder if the 9th and 10th seed could play each other not for a playoff birth but some other incentive? Possibly something for the next season?

You think Minnesota, Orlando and OkC are better than the Kings?

I’m totally onboard with giving all the non Playoff team or most of them equal odds. Fans could go back to rooting for their team again. I find it pretty draining to watch games hoping for a loss.
minnesota when not racked by Covid yeah. I think they challenge for the play-offs next year with KAT, Ant, and Russell. If they keep their pick, they could be quite good.

OKC was better than the Kings before they sat everyone. Orlando I could go either way.