[Game] Kings vs Spurs at G1C Monday 11/12 7:00 PM PT

Shoutout to Iman Shumpert for defending DeRozan about as well as you can. DeRozan did most of his damage when Shump was off and ended up under his season average.
Yup! When his shot selection is right, he’s absolutely necessary out there.

Glad we get a couple day’s off but the back to backs are ridiculous

Shoutout to Iman Shumpert for defending DeRozan about as well as you can. DeRozan did most of his damage when Shump was off and ended up under his season average.
I've been SUPER impressed with Shump's defense pretty much all year, but especially on this homestand. Guy has been bringing it every night against elite wings and he's playing like the guy who got the 3 and D stud reputation from his time with the Knicks. Totally done a 180 on him so far, I thought he was completely washed and just a worse version of Garrett Temple.

Bogdan in that 2nd unit rotation is just so strong, I'm not sure if we end up changing it up when he's ready to roll. He was absolutely money at running the offense and probably should have had close to 8 assists tonight if we could make wide open shots. His presence definitely helps Bagley and Giles get easier looks. Also, I think he'll help Mason quite a bit by being able to take the offensive playmaking responsibility and Mason can be more of "small SG scorer," which suits him better than being a lead playmaker.

Think Giles just needs to keep getting those 2nd unit minutes from Koufos. He's an offensive threat with his passing/shooting/scoring when he's on the floor and while I'll always love Kosta, it's hard playing 4 on 5 on offense for 15 minutes a night (closer to 3 on 5 with Jackson still getting minutes). Bogdan and Giles being in on the 2nd unit rotation really helped keep the offensive flow going. The bench stepped up tonight and was a big part of this win.

I've been SUPER impressed with Shump's defense pretty much all year, but especially on this homestand. Guy has been bringing it every night against elite wings and he's playing like the guy who got the 3 and D stud reputation from his time with the Knicks. Totally done a 180 on him so far, I thought he was completely washed and just a worse version of Garrett Temple.

Bogdan in that 2nd unit rotation is just so strong, I'm not sure if we end up changing it up when he's ready to roll. He was absolutely money at running the offense and probably should have had close to 8 assists tonight if we could make wide open shots. His presence definitely helps Bagley and Giles get easier looks. Also, I think he'll help Mason quite a bit by being able to take the offensive playmaking responsibility and Mason can be more of "small SG scorer," which suits him better than being a lead playmaker.

Think Giles just needs to keep getting those 2nd unit minutes from Koufos. He's an offensive threat with his passing/shooting/scoring when he's on the floor and while I'll always love Kosta, it's hard playing 4 on 5 on offense for 15 minutes a night (closer to 3 on 5 with Jackson still getting minutes). Bogdan and Giles being in on the 2nd unit rotation really helped keep the offensive flow going. The bench stepped up tonight and was a big part of this win.
His on ball D has been better than temple from last year (in which I think he lost a step). Good call by Vlade to keep Shump as the vet wing.

You make a great point. Shumpert, who Bogdon would presumably replace if inserted into the starting lineup, really wouldnt have the same bite as he does with the starters. Much of the same can be said for Bogdon with the reserves. Fox has proven to be a very good playmaker and really doesn't need to have Bogdon on the floor with him to be effective, like last year. The starters have proven to be very good this year.

You make a great point. Shumpert, who Bogdon would presumably replace if inserted into the starting lineup, really wouldnt have the same bite as he does with the starters. Much of the same can be said for Bogdon with the reserves. Fox has proven to be a very good playmaker and really doesn't need to have Bogdon on the floor with him to be effective, like last year. The starters have proven to be very good this year.
Bogdan once he's up to full speed would basically be the "starter" getting 30-32 minutes a game, but staggering that rotation and putting Shump's defense for the first rotation of the 1st and 3rd quarter on the opposing teams best wing I think has been extremely helpful for the starters success.

Said this before in a couple threads, but I think the correct way to treat this is like Harden off the bench in OKC with Westy and Durant. He was clearly better than Thabo, but their team was significantly better because they had the luxury of Harden beating up 2nd units while Westy and Durant got rest. We're obviously better with Fox/Buddy/Bogdan on the floor together, but I think the team is better over the course of 48 minutes if we stagger their rotations at the start of the game and the half.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think the team willing to play hard even at the possible cost of draft position last year is helping this change now.
They clearly got valuable experience with closing close games and Fox and Bogs got the opportunities to take their share of meaningful shots at the buzzer.

And it all worked out in the end.

They clearly got valuable experience with closing close games and Fox and Bogs got the opportunities to take their share of meaningful shots at the buzzer.

And it all worked out in the end.
True. But I think it's more than just the experience. It's also the mentality that winning is important, every game, every possession is important, and we have the team to do so now, rather than wait for some savior.

Sure, we might not have been so enthusiastic had the lottery not favored us. From the team's culture perspective though, this attitude was welcome, and I think is helping now.

I think the team willing to play hard even at the possible cost of draft position last year is helping this change now.
Maybe. I still think Bogdan had no business being on the floor and had he rested he maybe would not have been injured. That being said I love how this team plays as a team for each other.

I loved Boogie, but comments like this are very telling on how he negatively affected the team. Things have changed now and it's great. I remember the last time we had a team that loved playing together.
Actually, what Willie is describing is more of a league wide thing and has been for a long time -- specifically on mid-tier and losing teams. If you take a look across the league on a yearly basis, most teams have 2-3 guys that post numbers. Some of those teams win, but a lot of them are middle of the road or losers. The team the Warriors developed into the past 5 years and the vintage Duncan-led Spurs teams are exceptions to the rule. Which is why they are and have been so successful and consistent.

Look at the T-Wolves and Sixers. They both underachieve based upon what their talent seems to be. The Sixers are in the East so they are a playoff team. But they aren't as good as they are hyped to be. Part of that is guys that play for numbers or 'status' more than as a team IMO.

This KINGS team has something rare going for it right now. This franchise hasn't had a team like it in a long while. And while there are many good teams in the league each year, not all of them are as much of a team or have the chemistry this one seems to have. That alone doesn't make the KINGS a playoff team, but it does help to compensate for inexperience and other talent gaps they may have.

Had to get that one. A tough stretch is coming up. Big time tough. I mean like total meat grinder level.
Yep.

And gotta get 3 of the next 7 at the very least. 4 would be amazing. But I'll settle for 3 considering the competition and that 4 of the games are on the road.

I just want the team to keep its head above .500

Man, seeing that WCS dunk live was crazy!

One of the strengths of this team is we always have several players in double digit scoring. For example, Hield, our leading scorer, had an off game but four other players reached double figures in scoring. Makes it tough for opposing teams to game plan.
Holy cow man has our problem been all along that we just never had enough offense? Is this what it feels like when your team can score??

DE’AARON FOXIN’ FOX.
He earned the honor of thrusting the dagger in at the end there. FOR SURE!

It was over after that and they knew it. The best games are when teams have to hang in there, only beaten for sure with a minute or so to play, then you just have to haaang there pretending to care for a few moments a least. That's a satisfying win.

I'm very superstitious, the last game I saw those black jerseys and it didn't feel right, it gave me flashbacks from last year. Then my sister and her boyfriend came over hyping up the game, another red flag there. Went to bed grumpy. Tonight when I saw the jerseys again I thought "oh no". Then I saw Willie's hair, maybe I didn't notice last game but Willie's hair was different. The two out of routine changes canceled each other out and I knew everything was going to be all right. It was a solid win.
This is absolute pure gold.