[Game] Kings vs. Pistons, 11/20/2022 3pm Pacific 6pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and I def remember the 2018 playoffs feeling like the end of the road for him and Derozan, the next year being their championship with Kawhi. He's got a pretty thing HC resume outside of that but there are prob worse things in the world than cashing fat checks as a tank commander with zero expectations
I had just seen some tweets today suggesting he was a good coach for building this team and was scratching my head. To me the fact that he is still with the club shows they were unserious entering this season (same goes for Orlando, Houston and OKC).

Incidentally Casey immediately took over Detroit who were a .500 team and 8 seed that year, they've barely won 20 games per season since.

Made the mistake of visiting Pistons subreddit just to see some opposite views on the game. I should have known better just from the way they invaded Kings twitter any time a potential 4/5 pick swap came up this summer. Pretty clear there's a lot of resentment we jumped them and it still lives on. Probably fear because of the eggs they have put into the Wemby basket already.

Man, 10 of the next 13 on the road. Against mostly playoff caliber teams.

If we come out of this stretch above .500 — we should be considered legit.
honestly I'd be pretty happy if we were .500 entering January. At 9-6 right now, I'm elated. I don't see why we couldn't be, but we have a real opportunity to climb at the start of the new year.

Team is on a 6-game winning streak and tied for the best start for the Kings in the last 16 years. And he's pissed. AMAZING. THIS is how guys get better and you go from being a joke of a franchise to competing for playoff spots. To the team's credit, I think they've taken a lot of what he's said/coached to heart and that's been reflected on the offensive side of the ball about as perfectly as it can get.

Got booed relentlessly every time he touched the ball, tried to take it to the Kings early 1st quarter and failed, injured his finger running, came back and did a matador impression for the rest of the game.
Yeah, watching the highlights, I was worried that since he really didn't do much in his first "comeback" game, I hope he didn't get booed too hard on top of that... lol

The offense has impressed me but the free throw numbers Has been game winning lately.
Last night it seemed like they missed a bunch of calls on our players. But we still made 31 of 35 free throws and that was 11 more than made than Detroit.
We were 22 of 24 the previous game against the spurs and that was 13 more than the spurs.
With the kings hitting more ft’s especially down the stretch that’s winning basketball!

Frustrating game but they got the job done. That would’ve been a devastating loss.

Kings allowing teams to get too comfortable early. Detroit gets wide open shots the entire first half they start making tougher shots later.

There is some opportunities in these next few games or the Kings can level up. Who knows

HB has been a game changer as of late. Sporting a TS% of 60 on the year. Which is incredibly impressive after his horrible start. He's getting to the line at nearly the same clip as Fox and being as efficient as it gets, despite the lack of 3 pointers.

Bagley got abused early but then did some abusing of his own on us in he second half. He played about as well as he possibly can these days, which is still a step down from his rookie level.

Ivey and Duren were impressive. As was Detroit's miraculous ability to make shots that they've never made in their careers for about 3 and a half quarters.

Refs were awful again, as usual. I actually thought the Kings were getting the benefit of the calls early on, but that switch flipped in a hurry. I will admit that Monk's and 1 that got him tossed should have been an offensive foul and a 3 point swing to the Pistons but those calls the Pistons got late were borderline ridiculous. There needs to be an investigation done on how the Kings are reffed because it is painfully obvious that there is some sort of vendetta against this team.

HB has been a game changer as of late. Sporting a TS% of 60 on the year. Which is incredibly impressive after his horrible start. He's getting to the line at nearly the same clip as Fox and being as efficient as it gets, despite the lack of 3 pointers.

Bagley got abused early but then did some abusing of his own on us in he second half. He played about as well as he possibly can these days, which is still a step down from his rookie level.

Ivey and Duren were impressive. As was Detroit's miraculous ability to make shots that they've never made in their careers for about 3 and a half quarters.

Refs were awful again, as usual. I actually thought the Kings were getting the benefit of the calls early on, but that switch flipped in a hurry. I will admit that Monk's and 1 that got him tossed should have been an offensive foul and a 3 point swing to the Pistons but those calls the Pistons got late were borderline ridiculous. There needs to be an investigation done on how the Kings are reffed because it is painfully obvious that there is some sort of vendetta against this team.
Ivey looked about as expected. That first step is unbelievable and of course he decided he was finally going to shoot well vs us. A little wild/out of control, and can't play defense right now but there's some real upside there.

Duren was more impressive to me. Looks like he has a real nose for the ball on the glass and a guy who could lead the league in rebounding in 3-4 years as he develops more physically. Sabonis got him a few times, obviously, but he held up about as well as you could ask a 19 year old rookie to do so. And man, he was chewing us up on the offensive glass. I have a feeling DET fans are going to get incredibly frustrated over the next few years if Bagley and Duren continue to split minutes.

Ivey looked about as expected. That first step is unbelievable and of course he decided he was finally going to shoot well vs us. A little wild/out of control, and can't play defense right now but there's some real upside there.

Duren was more impressive to me. Looks like he has a real nose for the ball on the glass and a guy who could lead the league in rebounding in 3-4 years as he develops more physically. Sabonis got him a few times, obviously, but he held up about as well as you could ask a 19 year old rookie to do so. And man, he was chewing us up on the offensive glass. I have a feeling DET fans are going to get incredibly frustrated over the next few years if Bagley and Duren continue to split minutes.
Duren reminds me a lot of Andre Drummond when he first entered the league. About the same age too, but Duren may be a bit more advanced already.

And at this point, traditional rebounding/rim protecting centers are probably significantly undervalued in the NBA.

Edit - I just took a look at Duren's numbers vs Drummond's rookie season and they are really similar. That bodes well for Duren given that he's only 15 games into his first season and should improve further minus the inevitable rookie wall.

Yeah I don't need to squint to see Ivey in that lead guard role. Probably won't be as good as Morant but I can see him being equal to Fox in a few years. Or at the very least, pre 2022 Fox. Just needs to put it all together and that's what you want out of a young player like that.

Agreed on Duren. He's built but I initially thought he looked a bit smaller than I was expecting. Didn't play small for sure. Obviously isn't skilled enough to take on a guy like Sabonis yet but he definitely made his mark with the offensive rebounds and put backs. Smartest thing DET can do is develop him and just let Bagley pick up whatever minutes are available after Duren and Stewart get theirs. Bagley just isn't going to make it as a center in this league with his defense.

Its funny how even the national media has been damaged by all the Kings losing over the years. They still aren’t ready to give this team credit. Harper had the Kings 14th in his power rankings but only talked about the beam in his post and it was mostly in a goofy manner instead of giving props. And the Athletic has an article about how the Lakers are on a three game winning streak haha. I do get it though. These next 12 games have to be one of the hardest schedules in the league so I’ll preparing for a downturn. I’m hoping for 4-8 or better. If we do that I’ll be pretty happy as that keeps us right in the thick of things. If we pull off .500 or better during that stretch I’ll be fully onboard with a playoff appearance. Top 6 even

Its funny how even the national media has been damaged by all the Kings losing over the years. They still aren’t ready to give this team credit. Harper had the Kings 14th in his power rankings but only talked about the beam in his post and it was mostly in a goofy manner instead of giving props. And the Athletic has an article about how the Lakers are on a three game winning streak haha. I do get it though. These next 12 games have to be one of the hardest schedules in the league so I’ll preparing for a downturn. I’m hoping for 4-8 or better. If we do that I’ll be pretty happy as that keeps us right in the thick of things. If we pull off .500 or better during that stretch I’ll be fully onboard with a playoff appearance. Top 6 even
Basically, if the Kings can just hold on this next month, things really start to open up after with the next 13 of 17 at home with 11 of the games I'd predict we'd be favorites in. We get:

@Pistons
Hornets
Lakers
Wizards
Nuggets
Nuggets
Jazz
@Grizzlies
@Jazz
Hawks
Lakers
Magic
Rockets
Rockets
@Spurs
@Lakers
Thunder

This imo is where we make a push for a top 6 seed during the year.

Basically, if the Kings can just hold on this next month, things really start to open up after with the next 13 of 17 at home with 11 of the games I'd predict we'd be favorites in. We get:

@Pistons
Hornets
Lakers
Wizards
Nuggets
Nuggets
Jazz
@Grizzlies
@Jazz
Hawks
Lakers
Magic
Rockets
Rockets
@Spurs
@Lakers
Thunder

This imo is where we make a push for a top 6 seed during the year.
Agreed. The stretch of games across the next month is rather brutal, and will tell us a lot about what this team is made of. And once the Kings come off the road and into this stretch you've posted, we will see if they're ready to knuckle down and feast at home on a fairly large percentage of lesser opponents. By the end of January, I think we'll have a pretty good idea of whether this team is play-in quality or top-6 in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.