[Game] Kings vs. Pacers - 11/30/22, 7PM PST, 10PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kings did a good job chasing Pacers off the three point line tonight. They probably had tired legs too due to third game and 4 nights.

Indy may hit a wall. The lack of quality size in the front court should be pretty concerning over the long haul. Kings need more quality size too but they seemed far more shored up there compared to Indiana.

Loved the balance tonight. Nearly 8 players in double figures.

Kings need to make it a point to get HB involved early. Don’t let him drift into the background. What would’ve counted as an average game for him all the other seasons he has been here appear to be the difference between the Kings winning at an elite pace or losing.

Dominant game by Domas. Would’ve been a monster stat line if not for the refs but 11-10-7 in 22 minutes tells a pretty big story.

Still curious about Fox not looking for his offense early and getting sat quickly into the first and third quarters. There must be a story….though he had a strong efficient game tonight.

Not too worried about Murray. He’ll find his touch. Id be worried if he was all of a sudden unable to get his shots but right now it’s just a matter of them not going in at the rate we expect. I thought he was OK today. His garbage time bricks made his actual competitive game look more off than it was. Neverthless, he continues to be a contributor on the home floor(double figures tonight and ga PHX) but a ghost on the road.

Monster game by Monk. He put the game on ice pretty quickly after that flagrant was called on him

TD turned what looked to be a famine night in his first few minutes into a feast.

Also, happy to see Huerter still getting his points in these last couple of games even if the threes aren’t dropping or becoming available as much as we’re used to.

Metu continues to contribute a little more each time out. Becoming a very solid rotation guy.

Can’t forget Davion. Playing strong defense on Hali

Clippers next. Don’t know the status of their stars but they will be a problem regardless. They can D up our guards pretty good and they’re strong up front. We’ll see

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think KZ should be a staple since this team needs him on the wing. The backup C should be based on that game. If Metu is going and the opposing team is like the Pacers and/or the offense is flowing, great. If the other team is crushing the Kings inside because they have an Ayton, or strong pick and roll guard, then size time. Also, Len is better at being a backup Sabonis than Metu. Metu in that dribble hand off set is awful. Metu in pick and roll? Totally different player. Metu when used right is a plus but that's very much dependent on the opponent and what plays the Kings are running offensively. The Pacers are a team that has a C and a bunch of players similar to Metu backing him up.
Great post! I agree completely. Metu is a great matchup problem against some teams but not all of them and when he's in there at C he's pretty much the anti-Sabonis on offense -- everything is pick and roll and he's not sticking the outside jumper enough to be respected as a pick and pop threat. When we're clicking, flicking that switch from dribble hand-off to pick and roll offense can be disruptive to the other team's defensive rhythm but when we're not clicking it's more like the Kings morph into that meme of the three Spidermans (Spidermen?) pointing at each other until we can get Sabonis back in the game.

Keegan didn't shoot well, but I thought this was easily his best game in a long time. Even still, 14 points on 12 shots isn't horrible. Finally showed how he could make an impact while not scoring. Was excellent on defense, made several hustle plays, was much better on the boards. You really do see the signs he CAN be an excellent defensive wing.

Need to continue to see more, but I think a good first step to breaking his slump.

Keegan didn't shoot well, but I thought this was easily his best game in a long time. Even still, 14 points on 12 shots isn't horrible. Finally showed how he could make an impact while not scoring. Was excellent on defense, made several hustle plays, was much better on the boards. You really do see the signs he CAN be an excellent defensive wing.

Need to continue to see more, but I think a good first step to breaking his slump.
He played great in the first 3 quarters, but was pretty awful in garbage time. I didn’t mind him forcing stuff at the end, I was hoping it could get him out of his slump. Im starting to think that his 3pt shot wasnt the 39% he advertised in his last year or college, but hopefully his shots start going in. We really need that 3pt consistency around Fox and Bonis.

Also, games like this really make it difficult to want to trade Davion. Was an absolute warrior vs Hali, who nobody in the league has had much success at slowing down this year. He's just an absolute game-changer on defense. In a league with so few game-changing guard defenders, it's such an unreal weapon to have to put on all these top scorers.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Apropos of nothing, what is that AM/PM mascot supposed to be? Ol' bootleg HR Puffinstuff looking ass.
"TooMGooS", which is an abbreviation of their slogan "TOO Much GOOd Stuff". Then they constructed him out of hot dogs and churros and soda cups and pretzels and whatever to represent all the "good stuff".

Not a great campaign, to be sure, but they're rolling with it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He played great in the first 3 quarters, but was pretty awful in garbage time. I didn’t mind him forcing stuff at the end, I was hoping it could get him out of his slump. Im starting to think that his 3pt shot wasnt the 39% he advertised in his last year or college, but hopefully his shots start going in. We really need that 3pt consistency around Fox and Bonis.
I think the back injury screwed with his shot mechanics more than everyone probably thought it would. He’s got a weird hitch in his shot now that he didn’t have in summer league and preseason. It’ll probably fix itself as he gets back into a rhythm but until then I’m fine with games like tonight.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Also, games like this really make it difficult to want to trade Davion. Was an absolute warrior vs Hali, who nobody in the league has had much success at slowing down this year. He's just an absolute game-changer on defense. In a league with so few game-changing guard defenders, it's such an unreal weapon to have to put on all these top scorers.
He's almost like a guy who comes in off the bench and only makes threes -- but instead he brings that level of instant energy with his iso defense. He has game breaking potential locking up crafty ballhandlers who've been giving us problems. It would be great if he showed a little more pop on offense but I also think it's a plus that he knows who he is and recognizes that the guys around him are all really good shot makers so there's no real need for him to come into the game looking for buckets.

Really great team win. First half was wild for both teams. Lots of sloppy moments and ton of bricks, but pace was super fast which played to our advantage with the strength of our bench. HB was big in the 1st quarter, esp after Brown called a timeout a minute into the game. Sabonis pretty much controlled our offense early on, and Fox played some great defense and had good energy in spite of playing off the ball a lot. It was also good to see Huerter and Murray getting a ton of shots off even though they’ve been struggling. Monk was Monk and his energy is contagious and he helps elevate the overall play of the 2nd unit.

Crazy pace continued in the 3rd quarter, and we got a ton of fast break points (we put up 44pts with only 3 3pters!). Overall, I loved the defensive effort which made for a lot of easy baskets. Part of it was Pacers missed a ton of 3s but we constantly pushed and used our speed knowing the Pacers lack the athletes in that department. Great scouting and game plan by the coaches.

I love Hali’s game and the passion he brings. I think he’ll be an all star this year, but it’s apparent the Pacers don’t have the talent and depth to sustain their early season success. It’ll be interesting to see if they go on a extended losing streak if they trade Turner and Duarte and tank the rest of the year

He's almost like a guy who comes in off the bench and only makes threes -- but instead he brings that level of instant energy with his iso defense. He has game breaking potential locking up crafty ballhandlers who've been giving us problems. It would be great if he showed a little more pop on offense but I also think it's a plus that he knows who he is and recognizes that the guys around him are all really good shot makers so there's no real need for him to come into the game looking for buckets.
That chase down block against the backboard….he has that “Hall of Fame” chase down artist badge…that’s for sure (for the NBA2K fans)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I do think Fox is battling a groin injury. It's not been confirmed so I'm just going off personal speculation. He pulled up a bit lame against Atl and hasn't been right since then
He was held out of practice or only did light workouts today. It's not on injury reports but as close to confirmed as it gets.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think the back injury screwed with his shot mechanics more than everyone probably thought it would. He’s got a weird hitch in his shot now that he didn’t have in summer league and preseason. It’ll probably fix itself as he gets back into a rhythm but until then I’m fine with games like tonight.
Been saying this, but been accused of babying him. You'll probably luck out since we crushed our opponent tonight.

I think KZ should be a staple since this team needs him on the wing. The backup C should be based on that game. If Metu is going and the opposing team is like the Pacers and/or the offense is flowing, great. If the other team is crushing the Kings inside because they have an Ayton, or strong pick and roll guard, then size time. Also, Len is better at being a backup Sabonis than Metu. Metu in that dribble hand off set is awful. Metu in pick and roll? Totally different player. Metu when used right is a plus but that's very much dependent on the opponent and what plays the Kings are running offensively. The Pacers are a team that has a C and a bunch of players similar to Metu backing him up.
There's (6) big matchups that come right to mind in the western conference, that we could use Len. Against Zubac, Nurkic, Adams, Gobert, Jokic, Poeltl

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Do you think this was good or bad?
I thought it was interesting. For better or worse people will keep asking him about the trade because they know it’ll get a good quote from him which will then prolong the cycle because he’ll get asked about the new quote and so on and so forth.

dudes been averaging 20-10 so it’s just weird that he decided to make his whole persona “Guy who got traded by the Kings”.

Status
Not open for further replies.