[Game] Kings vs. Knicks - Sat. 3/16 7:00PM PST/10:00PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’d rather have just kept than have given anything up for Huerter. Dude’s chaotic energy entertains me greatly, even if it isn’t always useful.
Feels like the only reason he hasn’t already gotten run out of New York is that Hart and Brunson are there to keep him in check. The Bucks, Kings, and Warriors all essentially were fine with letting him get away for nothing.

not being ready would mean we got blown out by 20. This game was close the entire time. We had the lead with a couple minutes to go and missed some crucial shots that may have put the game away. This is the 5th or 6th straight opponent with less than 100 against the Knicks. I’d say we did well we just couldn’t stop Curry Jr.
No I disagree, we didn't have normal reactions to their style of play. And Brunson scored 40 in his last game, was the gameplan to stop him? Did it work? Not by a thousand miles... I don't think any player looked prepared for that (over the limit still) physicality of the Knicks.

I'm one of the biggest Huerter supporters on the board, but yeah. I think it's time for Keon. We're just so much better defensively when he's on the floor. He's a huge reason we were able to hang in this slugfest game in the first place. Let's get Huerter in that back-up 3 slot, in a bigger USG role where he can help Monk with the bench scoring.

And I do think it has to be Keon starting. You want his defense vs the first team offenses at the start of the 1st and 3rd. That matters quite a bit

Not only for defense, I know its small sample, but Keon actually has better 3pt% than Kevin now.

Eh I’m not going to be mad at it. They played hard and had a chance. The Waterbug had it going, they got a bunch of no calls in their favor and we couldn’t hit the shots they needed to.

If Keon had made that shot at the rim on the leak out we go up 6 and I think this game ends differently. We miss, including the Monk put back and then they go on a run to take a 5 point lead. 11 point swing in a handful of possessions. The Knicks also got every long board on missed 3s.
Yup. Mike Brown also gave them that lead by taking Fox out. No coincidence the Knicks immediately went on a 9-0 run smh ah well, i like the way we’re playing as of late and im super encouraged. Games like this are how you prep for the playoffs

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No I disagree, we didn't have normal reactions to their style of play. And Brunson scored 40 in his last game, was the gameplan to stop him? Did it work? Not by a thousand miles... I don't think any player looked prepared for that (over the limit still) physicality of the Knicks.
to be fair, I don’t think any player is prepared for that sort of 1980s style physicality. The Knicks have one of the best records in the league since Adam Silver fudged the rules after the All-Star Break and it’s entirely because they are allowed to play like the 1980s Detroit Pistons.

Only game in NBA tonight where both teams ended up with under 100 pts (9 games on Saturday schedule). Kings knew going in facing formattable Knicks defense. Kings never got into their rhythm but instead found themselves knock down drag out slug fest, where refs blew call after call, finally just tying to keep game under some kind of control. In the end Knicks proved tougher, more determined executing in crunch time than the Kings.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings are about as predictable as you can get stylistically for sure. They're going to be scoring their way to victory if there is one to be had. Under 100 points and it's almost an auto loss. The Kings are what they are and yes, winning based on physicality isn't likely the way. Keon does certainly change some things defensively though. What an asset he's becoming. Without him working on defense tonight and this is likely a blow out with the way the Kings shot the ball.
Yes, Keon Ellis was a bright spot on defense, as was Murray. It says something that the Kings played the Knicks style and still were in the game at the end. Ultimately they are going to have to learn to impose their will on the other team in terms of their style. I think this was a good game for Brown and his coaching staff to experience, not just the players. Call it Thibodeau's teachable moment.

Yes, Keon Ellis was a bright spot on defense, as was Murray. It says something that the Kings played the Knicks style and still were in the game at the end. Ultimately they are going to have to learn to impose their will on the other team in terms of their style. I think this was a good game for Brown and his coaching staff to experience, not just the players. Call it Thibodeau's teachable moment.
Yup! All in all, I’m super encouraged. Bring this intensity every night and start crushing these garbage teams we have coming up. No more BS, this team has now proven they’re capable of beating anyone outside of Boston and New Orleans. Hell, I’m actually looking forward to the game with the Pelicans now. We’re not exactly the team they took on the last time, if you ask me.

Intense game. Probably the most playoff like game of the season.. so considering that, this loss sort of hurts the most out of them all and the individual performances across the board offensively were disappointing.

I know they played hard and all but they just didn’t get it done. For a game where so few things come easy. The Kings would’ve won if they had just capitalized on the opportunities for easy points.

Fox wasn’t good. 1 point per shot doesn’t pay the bills. Especially in a game like this where the system is disrupted and we need our best one on one player to score. Brunson did. Fox didn’t. Also…remember that point Doug..we don’t need him getting dumbass technicals in a game where it’s clear the margin for error is small. I only saw the replay once but I didn’t even think he was fouled on that play but I was more watching Hart(or whoever the guard on the play was) and not Hartenstein. Either way, don’t give away points.

Domas was strong in the first half but wasn’t really a factor in a positive way in the second half. Not scoring. His turnovers were daggers. It is rare form when he was starting to force it trying to get a foul call because I guess he wanted to see if he’ll get a call. Of course, when he did he bricked the free throws.

Usually Domas doesn’t force the issue like he did tonight. I think 18 and 8 in the first half and finished with 21-14. He had more turnovers than points in the second half. Yeah he didn’t get calls but what else is new?

Keegan brick city.

Huerter was a complete waste of time in this game. Talented player but really just is as obvious of a headcase that I’ve ever seen on the Kings.

I know we associate headcase with volatile players but I’m speaking purely of his his mental state and confidence. He’s like a wild relief pitcher whose mechanics and mental state changes with each game. Unreliable. Not the drift I got from him from his first few months with the team.

HB showed up for the second half but also brick city for the most part

I thought our guards would be able to disrupt Brunson more but he made a lot of tough shots

Knicks were given far more leeway with physicality yes, but the game was lost by the Kings inability to make open shots and easy shots at the rim.

The game eventually panned out the way I expected. Knicks crushed the Kings on the glass in the second half on long rebounds.

Despite that, Kings only needed to shoot decent from three tonight to win but couldn’t do it.

Tough loss to say the least.

Last edited:
Brutal month for huerter so far.. 35% overall shooting 27% from 3.. meanwhile averaging 6pts. As good as Ellis is on defense, I'm not sure if he'll be the kings long term solution. I hope for next season brown will give colby jones a longer leash to learn through his mistakes. There will be some growing pains, but it could be a good long term investment.

I wish Brown start Ellis instead of Huerter. They're much better defensively with Ellis. Also, Monk is only good when playing with Sabonis...without him, he's just a lost soul out there. When I see Mike sitting Sabonis while Monk is out there...it's just never a good feeling....the offense just ain't good...Monk one on one is a turn over machine.

Brutal month for huerter so far.. 35% overall shooting 27% from 3.. meanwhile averaging 6pts. As good as Ellis is on defense, I'm not sure if he'll be the kings long term solution. I hope for next season brown will give colby jones a longer leash to learn through his mistakes. There will be some growing pains, but it could be a good long term investment.
I wish the Kings would experiment more with guys like Colby and Slawson. I would understand Adelman level of loyalty to a set rotation if the Kings weren’t so uneven off the bench, but that’s not the case.

When Brown got here and immediately started KZ Okpala I thought he was going to be a guy that left no stone unturned in regards to giving guys a chance…but it seems the pathway is limited for those guys.

Sometimes you just plug a guy in for a few games and they show you something in a particular role that they don’t show in a low stakes g league game or garbage time. Like Keon Ellis but it took awhile for that day to come for Ellis. More understandable because the Kings are deeper at guard.

Especially now where the Kings don’t have a backup power forward. See what Slawson can do. Again, if not now then when? He’s pretty much a 25 year old rookie.

I think Colby was selected and is being developed for the possibility that the Kings lose Malik Monk. He is a player that will handle the ball a lot in his minutes once he makes it but I don’t think we’ll see much of him ever with Monk around. Even if Huerter and Davion are moved.

Hey NBA….i love defense. I love physical ball. I’m all in favor of getting rid of non-consequential touch fouls on the perimeter. I’m good with eliminating defensive fouls when offensive stars initiate contact around the rim (including fox). But I’m not down with no-calls on hip-checks out of bounds, smacking players in the face, pulling players to the floor. This was a really fun, intense game tonight, but I’m not watching 82 games of this type of retro 1990’s basketball. This was over the top.

Hey NBA….i love defense. I love physical ball. I’m all in favor of getting rid of non-consequential touch fouls on the perimeter. I’m good with eliminating defensive fouls when offensive stars initiate contact around the rim (including fox). But I’m not down with no-calls on hip-checks out of bounds, smacking players in the face, pulling players to the floor. This was a really fun, intense game tonight, but I’m not watching 82 games of this type of retro 1990’s basketball. This was over the top.
Yeah, there's a middle ground from LeBron getting calls because someone was within 5 feet of him and what we saw tonight.

Last 5 minutes it was hero ball all the way for the Kings, the only normal play was that Keon move, apart from that was Fox doing things by himself, Monk, Barnes shooting some bricks from distance... refs sucked for sure, but the Kings were not ready (again and again and again) to face such a "physical" team. It's not the first time, won't be the last time. I think Duarte should have played more, had some decent games lately and he could hurt them physically.
Len had +6 in just 7 minutes... and with Domas so bad (tired? frustrated? hurt? whatever the reason) he should have played more even alongside him.

That 9-0 run without Brunson on the court hurt us a lot.
I don’t get the Len minutes. Brown plays him so sparingly as if it’s just “buying time” but dude routinely puts up + plus/minuses. If a backup is playing fine & team isn’t losing much (at least for specific game) my belief is a star starter should play 32-36 minutes (and backup plays 12-16). I don’t get why this isn’t happening. No need to overextend Sabonis and starters during regular season. Give Sabonis couple more min rest each half or at least try them together for different look every now & then.

So when do we get that "defensive reputation" that lets us mug the crap out of the opponent?

Oh wait, we're a heel team.... we'll never have that.

NBA is such a joke. I feel childish watching it, it's like thinking wrestling is real.
I just wanted to quote this as this is exactly how I feel.

I was watching the box score and it looked like an exciting game. Then I came here and see the it was just the refs keeping the knicks in it.

dude12

Hall of Famer
some of these takes on here…..man. Seems like it’s troll worthy because they only show up when we lose. Kings not ready? Such a bad take. Explain to me the late Hartenstein drive and one call on Domas when Domas has defenders wrapping their off arm around him with no call let alone the hacking. Monk getting called for the foul on the loose ball scramble.
yeah, this was epically bad from the refs….more so than any game I can recall in a long time. How Brown or Fox didn’t get tossed in this one is amazing because both guys are willing to chew out the refs.

dude12

Hall of Famer
So when do we get that "defensive reputation" that lets us mug the crap out of the opponent?

Oh wait, we're a heel team.... we'll never have that.

NBA is such a joke. I feel childish watching it, it's like thinking wrestling is real.
Exactly. NBA doesn’t have the balls to just let the teams play it straight up and let the better team on the night win. That was trash.

Games like this push fans away. I'm not sure why it would be refereed so poorly. It could be gambling, it could be many things, but it wasn't fairly officiated.

Precious and Hartenstein had their hands around Domas constantly.

When Monk ran into a player it was a foul on him. When a player ran into Monk it was also a foul on him.

Knicks could do any physical activity to get a board and not one call all night.

And on . . .and on.

Something has got to change for fans to "want" to watch.

Why isn't he the solution? They have 4 other starters who are scorers and Keon is a capable shooter. At some point, if you want to be a good defensive team, you have to value it more with at least a couple players who are on the floor a lot

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Exactly. NBA doesn’t have the balls to just let the teams play it straight up and let the better team on the night win. That was trash.
It seems that NBA just doesn't what they are doing, as if they are totally out of their depth on how to consistently call games. The refs are confused. The players are confused. The coaching staffs are confused. They have no logical coherent consistent system to call the games. They just swing from one pendulum swing to the next.

To be fair it’s been a pretty bad shooting month for Keegan also. 38% overall and 25.6% from 3. At the rate they are shooting might as well play Ellis and Edwards and let those two get some rest and get healthy.

It seems that NBA just doesn't what they are doing, as if they are totally out of their depth on how to consistently call games. The refs are confused. The players are confused. The coaching staffs are confused. They have no logical coherent consistent system to call the games. They just swing from one pendulum swing to the next.
Maybe this is by design, so they can work in manipulation when they want to

Status
Not open for further replies.